Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No. I said military service experience helps. I did not say it is a requirement.

Op's question is this, "do you feel that Obama would take a different stance if he had ever been in the military and in combat?"

It has NOTHING to do with "any of the 2016"

As a matter of fact, I would argue that The small size of the military relative to the population — well under 1 percent — makes broadening the service base both unnecessary and unlikely. HOWEVER, the choice to take the nation to war is the most important decision a president can make. A commander in chief who has actually served on the battlefield has peerless personal experience and can make that decision with greater empathy.
Congress is the only body that can take the nation to war. The president doesn't have the power to declare war. I know Obama and presidents who have preceeded him have skirted the letter of the law but ipso facto, it takes an act of congress to declare war on another nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Some just can't stick with the subject of the posting. It is about Obama, not any of his predecessors no matter how much you try to divert the conversation.

Start another thread if you want to discuss that topic, since you obviously have nothing to add to this discussion.
Oh! I think I get it now. This thread is not a debate about whether a president is more effective as a commander in chief if they have prior military service, it's just another dump on Obama thread and anybody who thinks otherwise must answer to you.
Well, I'm out a here. I don't do mindless dumps on the president based on "what if" postulations with no facts. Makes just as much sense to ask, What if Obama was half white instead of half black? Would he be a more effective leader?.
Thought this was a real thread and it's too late to delete my earlier posts now. Darn.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:05 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Some just can't stick with the subject of the posting. It is about Obama, not any of his predecessors no matter how much you try to divert the conversation.
I thought your question was whether a president would take a different stance if he had ever been in the military and in combat.

How do you answer that without looking at how it has affected other presidents?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:32 PM

39,220 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Congress is the only body that can take the nation to war. The president doesn't have the power to declare war. I know Obama and presidents who have preceeded him have skirted the letter of the law but ipso facto, it takes an act of congress to declare war on another nation.
I said "military service experience HELPS" I never said it is a requirement.

Please take this into consideration, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H.W. Bush all served in uniform during World War II.

To me personally, it doesn't matter if a presidential candidate never served in the military. The matter of the fact is that we are entering an era where the odds of a candidate for political office having served in the military are going to be significantly lower than they have been in the past 60 something years. Who can say this is a good thing or a bad thing?

The actual military experience, to me, matters less than how the candidate handles it. I do believe, however, it says something about the character of a politician who is willing to put on the uniform and go into harm’s way. Having an understanding of military culture is an important preparation for politicians who will make decisions about national security matters.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:41 PM

50 posts, read 80,820 times
Obummer loves the terrorists, he sympathies with them so why would he attack them?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
No we wouldn't. Just watch the news from non liberal sources.
Well, I'm interested in facts.

[]

Old 02-03-2015, 03:23 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I thought your question was whether a president would take a different stance if he had ever been in the military and in combat.

How do you answer that without looking at how it has affected other presidents?

The actual question in discussion is whether or not Obamas actions would differ or be the same had he served and/of been in combat.

Obama, not other presidents who by and large at least listened to their advisors instead of throwing them under the bus.

Go back and read the original post.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Oh! I think I get it now. This thread is not a debate about whether a president is more effective as a commander in chief if they have prior military service, it's just another dump on Obama thread and anybody who thinks otherwise must answer to you.
Well, I'm out a here. I don't do mindless dumps on the president based on "what if" postulations with no facts. Makes just as much sense to ask, What if Obama was half white instead of half black? Would he be a more effective leader?.
Thought this was a real thread and it's too late to delete my earlier posts now. Darn.
Reflects badly on you for jumping into a conversation and trying to deflect it to your desires, and then cry about it.

BTW, you do mindlessly support the actions taken by Obama, or should I say the non actions. Kind of makes your previous posts silly, to say the least.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It hasn't helped you. It is clear as you refrained from answering my question. Would you like to retry? Or, did you want to allude to Adolf Hitler and his experience in the military as a benchmark to counter terrorism?
I see. An answer is only acceptable if it meets your beliefs, no thought required.

Just because the answer to your question doesn't meet your preconceived requirements, it doesn't count.

Sorry, it just doesn't work that way, much as you desire that it does.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
With the current policy, it is not a fight at all, it is appeasement.

I like you.

You're funny.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies