Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,282,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
A gun in the home is much more likely to be used to shoot someone who lives there than an intruder.
This is a misleading statement, and you know it. Yes, homes with guns are more likely to have an accident involving a gun than homes without guns. Wow, go figure. You make it sound like intruders are using the home owners own gun on them in more cases than not and this is completely and utterly a false statement.

Quote:
Home invasions are actually quite rare. The police don't even bother to track them as separate crimes.
I'm going to clue you into a little secret. Do you know why home invasions in this country are quite rare? It's because the bad guys know there are a good percentage of homes in this country in which the homeowner is armed. I've talked to a confessed motorcycle thief, and his only fear of stealing bikes was getting caught by the owner. He had very little fear of being caught by the police, but he knew an owner might be willing to protect his property with force.

A properly stored handgun in a house is a very safe option for a trained owner.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:39 PM

50 posts, read 80,380 times
If you want to carry outside the home or not is up to you, what is not up to you is to tell the rest of us what we can and can not do. It would be like someone who does not like guns saying you don't need a gun even in your home, don't want one don't buy one, but keep your crazy ass ideas to yourself and quit trying to push them off on the rest of us.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:58 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,417,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Most important... when seconds count, the cops are minutes away.
They ain't gonna come at all if you don't call him. People who complain about how long it takes for the police to get there but who don't call them intil after they turn their backs on the supposedly very dangerous home home invader, who's lying on the floor after being shot but he's still very very dangerous and could attack at any moment so no time to call the police, better to turn you back on said very dangerous person who could attack at any moment, walk past a phone to where you keep your extra bullets, put the bullets in the gun with your attention on that instead of keeping an eye on the very dangerous person, then walk back to very dangerous person, again passing the phone, who is still lying on the floor after being shot but could attack at any moment, and shoot him again before finally calling the police. When crap like that happens you really have no business whining about the police being minutes away

Old 02-03-2015, 03:01 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,467,835 times
Quote:
A gun in the home is much more likely to be used to shoot someone who lives there than an intruder. You have the right. It's a poor decision. Home invasions are actually quite rare. The police don't even bother to track them as separate crimes.
In homes with suicidal people and idiots, sure.

You can stick with your plan of calling 911 and hoping everything turns out ok, and I'll stick with calling 911 while I prepare to defend my family and home.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,953,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I understand the argument and have thought about removing guns from the house. One of my daughters is very opposed to them and I respect her point of view.

However, the chances of someone here getting shot by accident are extremely low. All firearms are under my immediate personal supervision and they remain in safes when not in use. I learned my lessons about that decades ago.

Is it possible someone could take the gun away from me in a struggle? Sure, I guess. Is it possible someone could use them to commit suicide or to engage in domestic violence? No, not unless it was me personally or they somehow got through me. But those are extremely unlikely eventualities.

I understand that home invasions are very rare. One of the few I've personally known about involved a neighbor of mine who was well armed but it did him no good. The bad guys came in while he and his family were out by the pool and they used his own shotgun to rob and hold them hostage.

I'm standing pat for now, although to be honest the older I get the closer the calculus becomes. I've had a pretty good run and if somebody offed me at this point it wouldn't be that big a deal.
So you are 100% sure that no one but you can access your gun safe? I think you'd be surprised at how rare that is. I think guns, properly secured, are a very minor risk. The problem is that many are not properly secured and end up being the instrument of harm. I balance that against the risk of home invasion and the calculus is easy. We have one or two home invasions per year in the Washington DC area other than robberies at drug houses. Home invasions are sensational so the news always covers them.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
We have one or two home invasions per year in the Washington DC area other than robberies at drug houses.
Link to that data please.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
This is a misleading statement, and you know it. Yes, homes with guns are more likely to have an accident involving a gun than homes without guns. Wow, go figure. You make it sound like intruders are using the home owners own gun on them in more cases than not and this is completely and utterly a false statement.
Not misleading at all. You are more likely to be shot by a gun kept in the house than by a gun brought in by an intruder. Simple statistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm going to clue you into a little secret. Do you know why home invasions in this country are quite rare? It's because the bad guys know there are a good percentage of homes in this country in which the homeowner is armed. I've talked to a confessed motorcycle thief, and his only fear of stealing bikes was getting caught by the owner. He had very little fear of being caught by the police, but he knew an owner might be willing to protect his property with force.

A properly stored handgun in a house is a very safe option for a trained owner.
Bullchit. Home invasions are extremely rare in New York City, Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc and ownership of guns is quite low in all these cities compared to places like Houston, Dallas, Denver, etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Link to that data please.
Read the Washington Post.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In homes with suicidal people and idiots, sure.

You can stick with your plan of calling 911 and hoping everything turns out ok, and I'll stick with calling 911 while I prepare to defend my family and home.
Fool do foolish things.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:59 PM

From our government:

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/vdhb.pdf

Quote:
An estimated 3.7 million household burglaries occurred each year on average from 2003 to 2007. In about 28% of these burglaries, a household member was present during the burglary. In 7% of all household burglaries, a household member experienced some form of violent victimization.
So, if the average is 3.7 million household burglaries where 7% of the residents experience violent victimization each year, that means 259,000 people in the US experience violence from a home invader each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies