Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Uhmmm...thats not discrimination based on religion, thats discrimination based upon the people in question being horrible human beings.

Fortunately "being a jerk" isn't a protected class.
Yes it is.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Uhmmm...thats not discrimination based on religion, thats discrimination based upon the people in question being horrible human beings.

Fortunately "being a jerk" isn't a protected class.
Possibly, but if the baker said "we don't do business with people from your church" as the poster I replied to said, then it could be discrimination based on religion. If they weren't being jerks when they ordered a birthday cake then throwing them out for being jerks wouldn't apply.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Cute~. We're you thinking about the old Oscar Meyer commercial? It's not a big deal until it happens to you. How would you explain it to your kids? Our country has already gone through a very ugly history where ppl of color were denied those services at public places. With a name like "Martinez", you should appreciate that.
How would I explain it to my kids?

Let's say you're black and you go into a bakery with your kids. You hear them dropping N-bombs and making jokes about not making a watermelon flavored cake and you know your kids are hearing it. What do you tell them?

Should we make it illegal for people to say racist or hateful things so you can avoid having to tell your kids that there are awful people out there?

If you give me the two choices of having people who hate me being forced to serve me and worry about what they may do to my food or allowing people to say they don't want to serve me, I'll take the second option every day. Not only do I not want them messing with me, I also don't want racists, homophobes or whatever to profit off me either.

If they hate me, it's better that they are open about it than pretending otherwise. I'm a fan of honesty.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You could substitute any group in your statement and come to the same conclusion if you wanted. The point is to eradicate discrimination in places that serve the public. If you want to discriminate then do it in the privacy of your own home.
that was what the romans thought also. In the end Christian stood their ground on their beliefs.It was a private business now publically owned.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How would I explain it to my kids?

Let's say you're black and you go into a bakery with your kids. You hear them dropping N-bombs and making jokes about not making a watermelon flavored cake and you know your kids are hearing it. What do you tell them?

Should we make it illegal for people to say racist or hateful things so you can avoid having to tell your kids that there are awful people out there?

If you give me the two choices of having people who hate me being forced to serve me and worry about what they may do to my food or allowing people to say they don't want to serve me, I'll take the second option every day. Not only do I not want them messing with me, I also don't want racists, homophobes or whatever to profit off me either.

If they hate me, it's better that they are open about it than pretending otherwise. I'm a fan of honesty.

Yes, I see your point too. It's one thing for an adult to experience it. I guess that I'd just want to shield my children from any experiences like that because I don't want them growing up that way. I had some raunchy experiences from being a minority Mexican-American in an Anglo dominated environment back in the early 70s. I wondered if I would have turned out differently if I had grown up in a majority Mexican-American environment? There are many kids in this country who are bullied by others who are their own age. I'd just hate to see a young child being bullied by an adult business owner.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, businesses that aren't a "necessity" like a doctor, ambulance service, pharmacist, grocery store, etc shouldn't be forced to do business with anyone.

If it's a restaurant that doesn't want to serve black people, white people, gay people, short people, tall people, kids, fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks, tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chickenpox, it should be their decision. The government should not be forcing association.

If I owned a business, I wouldn't be turning away customers. Gay customers? No problem. Black customers? No problem. Asian customers? No problem. Bisexual transgender little person with missing limb and cleft lip? No problem.
You have to make no exceptions or all exceptions when it comes to religious liberties.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
that was what the romans thought also. In the end Christian stood their ground on their beliefs.It was a private business now publically owned.
They can stand their ground in this era as well. They just won't triumph is likely.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Ever notice how these gay activists never request their gay cakes at Jewish or Muslim bakeries? Are they being Christianphobic when they deliberately target small business Christian businesses?
Jewish people are usually not obsessed with the concept of gay marriage as evangelical Christians are. They can also separate their beliefs from what other people follow. And just how many Muslim bakeries have you come across in your life?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 PM

685 posts, read 720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
There's a new bakery accused of this every week. Why does it matter?

Seriously, I see both sides here. There is no difference between a cake for gay people and a cake for straight people, and since cake has no value aside form being a desert, it's not really making a statement or even necessary to refuse to bake a cake for gay people. The bakery is only turning away customers for arbitrary reasons.

As the same time, unless this is literally the only bakery with a 10 mile radius, why do the gay people care? Go to a bakery with a smarter owner? Why make a fuss? It's not like by refusing to bake a cake, your whole way of life is destroyed (any more than making the cake would destroy the bakers way of life; it's stupid cake). Let them be stupid in their silly beliefs and go to a bakery where the owners isn't an idiot.

We don't need to sue people overtime we're slightly offended.
I think this country is sue crazy and it has gotten worse over the last couple of decades. In terms of why not use another bakery? I can tell you what happened to me but can't attest to happened in Oregon. @ 1987 my now ex-husband and I were going to get married in honeymoon town - the Poconos in PA. I went to many (I don't remember how many) bakeries probably within 10-15 (or more) miles of where I was getting married. I couldn't find a darn tootin' bakery that made a decent cake. So, I got creative and went to my last resort - the Pocono Cheesecake Factory and had them use about five cheesecakes with bridges and a fountain in the colors of the wedding. It worked and it was different. For a wedding, the right cake is a big deal for many rather and the women were offended.

All we know for certain (I've added a link to the Huff's article) is the owners of the bakery turned down making a cake for religious reasons and the law doesn't support that. The owners of the business closed their doors but they still have an online business. I've stood up for my own rights and ended up at odds (but never was sued) for what I believed. But doing this potentially comes with risks.

Sweet Cakes By Melissa Violated Oregon Law By Turning Away Lesbian Couple, Officials Rule

Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
That is what happens when a business breaks the law, they get slapped with a fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies