U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,913,643 times

Advertisements

Religion today is more of a business than anything else. Having them tax-exempt lets them build gigantic castles and their successful priests driving jaguars. Should we retain this tax-exempt status? It clearly is not the religion of old, more money is spent for lavish and expensive things than anything. New religions like scientology is a basically a tax shelter used by wealthy celebrities and athletes... Can I start my own religion and protect all my assets? I don't believe religions need or deserve tax exemption..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,014,660 times
If you are a pastor/preacher/priest/minister/etc and object to social security on religious grounds, you can even be exempt from that! It's time to hop on that bus...

Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM

636 posts, read 2,052,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Religion today is more of a business than anything else. Having them tax-exempt lets them build gigantic castles and their successful priests driving jaguars. Should we retain this tax-exempt status? It clearly is not the religion of old, more money is spent for lavish and expensive things than anything. New religions like scientology is a basically a tax shelter used by wealthy celebrities and athletes... Can I start my own religion and protect all my assets? I don't believe religions need or deserve tax exemption..
What a load of crap that its exempt. Of course it shouldn't be. Make those fanatical turds at least help support the wars they encourage and cause!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,123,814 times
Quote:
Should we retain this tax-exempt status
Iíd implement a simple rule, if the church is still operating out of some small storefront in a run down strip mall and providing a soup kitchen for the poor in the evenings, yes, keep them tax exempt. If they are breaking ground on a multimillion dollar complex, no, they more than likely are not taking the money to help those in need and donít deserve the exemption.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,014,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Iíd implement a simple rule, if the church is still operating out of some small storefront in a run down strip mall and providing a soup kitchen for the poor in the evenings, yes, keep them tax exempt. If they are breaking ground on a multimillion dollar complex, no, they more than likely are not taking the money to help those in need and donít deserve the exemption.
It's possible to separate charity from religion, even if the charity were created by the religion. The 'church' I attended back in VA ran a thrift store which directed 100% of the proceeds to local charities and families in need (none of which were members).

Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 712,657 times
Quote:
New religions like scientology is a basically a tax shelter used by wealthy celebrities and athletes.
Methinks someone doesn't know much about the tax code.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,060,346 times
Tax the churches.
They tend to put their 2 cents into political discussions and void any charter with the state.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 AM

16,700 posts, read 18,913,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Methinks someone doesn't know much about the tax code.
"Scientology cites its tax exemption as proof the United States government accepts it as a religion"

From: Church of Scientology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What don't I get exactly?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Should Religion be Tax-Exempt?

Yes as its an essential component of our secular government. Religions are not state supported as they are elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM

38,424 posts, read 18,180,970 times
I think that there should be a ceiling tax exemption on the first couple of million...I would let some much smarter than me to figure that amount out....but IMHO, churches should pay taxes on assets that are beyond the immediate church building and on income that exceeds operating expenses. Book stores and gymnasiums and skate board parks and real estate and sea side villas and pent house apartments.....why should the TAXPAYERS support that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies