Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

Yea, I know... it's a great story of dedication. That's not how I took it when I heard the story. Let's get to work:

1) Walking 21 miles to work in America is not "awesome." It's called being poor. It's called being poor in a country that hates the idea of being poor more than the desire to fix poverty. This man is not the only lower-income person that endures a marathon commute to earn a living. There are poor folks in major cities working three jobs on several different bus routes with no time to eat, sleep, or watch their kids. He is not walking because he is a special "hard worker;" he's walking because he is poor.

2) Why is no one criticizing Detroit? The solution is just to "get him a car." Detroit screwed its low-income workers 60 years ago when it told public transportation advocates to go to hell. How does a Metro area with over 5 million residents have such terrible transportation options ?!?!

3) How will a man making $10.50 / hour afford the maintenance, insurance, gas, and other miscellaneous expenses with car ownership on a 42 mile daily commute? Did it ever occur to people that owning a car is just not a sound financial solution for lower income citizens?

4) No, more people don't need to "be like him." The dedication is certainly admirable, but there is nothing appealing about putting "work ethic" on a pedestal when meritocracy is an American myth. No amount of hard work is going to make his life change for the better. He had been living that way for ten years, and only the compassion of others will make his situation marginally better in the short-term. His employer and everyone else praising him today never gave a damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
I hear ya!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Maybe he should get a bicycle....that would cut his commute time a LOT.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically its a story about what a American man has done to survive and work in a city that was destroyed by promising to much and ignoring reality. It does not represent your typical poor person is why his story was done in first place.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
OP, I can understand why you are livid. Given your past posts, the thought of someone actually showing amazing determination and showing up for work every day in spite of having to walk makes you appreciate just how lazy and useless the vast majority on welfare actually are. All the young, able bodied people, particularly those who's only accomplishment has been to spread their legs and get knocked up, then latch onto welfare for decades have no excuse when this middle aged guy makes this effort.

I wish him the best.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yea, I know... it's a great story of dedication. That's not how I took it when I heard the story. Let's get to work:

He seems all right.

[beats sitting at home collecting welfare]

Old 02-03-2015, 10:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
I agree with you Opin, I doubt any right winger would ever want to have a real discussion about this though.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Maybe he should get a bicycle....that would cut his commute time a LOT.
That's what seemed like would be more useful since it would be hard to maintain a car making $10.50 an hour.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
He seems all right.

[beats sitting at home collecting welfare]
That part isn't the issue the OP was making. Why does this man have to walk 21 miles each way to get to work everyday? Oh yeah, poor public transportation system. How exactly is this man going to get out of his low income job? When one has that long of a commute, all their time is dedicated to working, commuting, and sleeping. Which right wingers would scold this man for not learning a new trade or something so that he can earn more money. Also it points out that while the employer is aware the commitment his employee I'd making for his job, it doesn't encourage the employer to pay this dedicated employee more so that he wouldn't have to walk that far to work each day.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:55 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
At 3mph it's a 7 hour walk each way. Something ain't exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies