Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times

Advertisements

Note, this thread is about opiates and NOT marijuana. Don't bring marijuana into the discussion.

Anyways, do you believe that softer opiates, such as hydrocodone and oxycodone lead to use of harder opiates: morphine, heroin, suboxone, or just really high tolerance usage of oxy and hydrocodone, even without the intention of going to harder usage before using the soft drugs at soft doses?

Do you believe that doctors should be more restrictive on giving prescriptions of opiates for non very intensive pain situations? Do you believe an oxycodone prescription is justified for a wisdom tooth surgery?

Do you think we educate people well enough on the effects of opiates? If not, what would you change?

Do you believe that restriction of access helps or hurts the opiate addiction problem? Do you think that some should be easy access while others should be tough access?

Alright, time for some fun facts I have learned while cruising other sites and forums about drugs (no hard sources for you guys here, sorry):

A lot of opiate users were occasional, recreational users for quite a while who turned to opiates when their lives turned to s***. Others were hooked from the get go. There doesn't seem to be a big group of recreational opiate users like there is those for users of marijuana and alcohol or even stimulants such as cocaine.

The preferred opiate of choice for euphoria was heroin by many, but there was a significant portion of people who would take oxycodone and hydrocodone (the easily available ones) over other opiates such as heroin. Morphine was not well liked. The "hard" ones like fetynol had a few likers, but many didn't care for them that much.

Opiates are some of the easiest drugs to use because they provide euphoria and for some incredible mental clarity, and still allow full functionality. There really is no hangover or comedown. However breaking an opiate addiction is incredibly hard. One user reported it was a full year before he could finally kick the excessive depression and inability to sleep after a heavy suboxone addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Just judging from the 'popularity' of softer opiates, like hydrocodone and oxycodone, then by the 'gateway' logic we should be overrun with heroin addicts by now… which obviously isn't the case.

For example, my late brother in Florida (which has the highest use of prescription opiates in the country), had previously used cocaine for many years. But towards the end while struggling with severe arthritis, COPD, depression and other issues, he was pretty clearly addicted to the "softer opiates" to the exclusion of all others. And apparently they weren't that hard to obtain either.

Prescription Opioid Abusers Prefer to Get High on Oxycodone and Hydrocodone

Old 02-04-2015, 08:54 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Most people who are addicted to opiates move to heroin because it is cheaper.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Just judging from the 'popularity' of softer opiates, like hydrocodone and oxycodone, then by the 'gateway' logic we should be overrun with heroin addicts by now… which obviously isn't the case.

For example, my late brother in Florida (which has the highest use of prescription opiates in the country), had previously used cocaine for many years. But towards the end while struggling with severe arthritis, COPD, depression and other issues, he was pretty clearly addicted to the "softer opiates" to the exclusion of all others. And apparently they weren't that hard to obtain either.

Prescription Opioid Abusers Prefer to Get High on Oxycodone and Hydrocodone
Well, we do have significantly more heroin addicts now than we used to. Although I would judge that a lot of the oxy and hydro users just move up and up the tolerance ladder. So I guess they'd be a gateway drug to themselves...

Interesting article. Do you think the addition of acetaminophen to hydrocodone is justified? I don't, because it's an obvious health risk to the uninformed, who will most likely try hydrocodone first, and the desparate addicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's cheaper but I wouldn't doubt that a significant portion of now heroin users would prefer heroin over the previous oxy or hydro that they were using.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's right, and easier to get too. I've read of many stories where teenagers start using Oxy that they can steal from medicine cabinets or buy illegally. Once they get hooked, they don't have the money or prescription, a $20 bag of heroin will do the trick and so it begins.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
That's right, and easier to get too. I've read of many stories where teenagers start using Oxy that they can steal from medicine cabinets or buy illegally. Once they get hooked, they don't have the money or prescription, a $20 bag of heroin will do the trick and so it begins.
Hence gateway?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,192 times
No they are the end of the line drugs.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:57 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post

According to most of the sources I could find, pharmaceutical drug addiction begins with alcohol, tobacco and yes, marijuana. However, alcohol is predominant as it's cheap and readily available.

Yale study: Alcohol’s gateway effect much larger than marijuana’s

Old 02-04-2015, 09:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Opiates and opioids are extremely addictive, and they are prone to abuse and overdose. I also believe that some healthcare providers fail to advise patients about the dangers. The drugs you mentioned are not a kinder, gentler method of pain relief, and they must be treated with kid gloves. Too few people understand that.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-04-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:05 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
According to most of the sources I could find, pharmaceutical drug addiction begins with alcohol, tobacco and yes, marijuana. However, alcohol is predominant as it's cheap and readily available.

Yale study: Alcohol’s gateway effect much larger than marijuana’s
This is one of the least surprising things I have ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies