Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

I think now days it often a case of the person blaming society for his failures as the person see failure ;doesn't have to be mental problem really. I can't get a date ;so society is to blame. Doesn't have to be nay different than such people I past other than now they feel justified in striking out against what they blame is a sample of humans. Kind of childish ;that will teach them thinking mode. But certainly we do not address the dangers those with certain demonstrated violent mental pose.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Adam Lanza was strong enough to kill six-year-olds with his bare hands. Is that why you support his right to guns?
As far as I know , he didn't own any firearms...just saying

Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think now days it often a case of the person blaming society for his failures as the person see failure ;doesn't have to be mental problem really. I can't get a date ;so society is to blame. Doesn't have to be nay different than such people I past other than now they feel justified in striking out against what they blame is a sample of humans. Kind of childish ;that will teach them thinking mode. But certainly we do not address the dangers those with certain demonstrated violent mental pose.
This is exactly one of the main issues. Why can't people cope anymore ? What is the reason ? Why are they snapping and going on killing spree's ?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:28 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
... I wasn't even talking about gun laws in that post....
Yet this is a topic of gun control. See the distraction part of my previous post. You call everyone's points that you disagree with "irrelevant" so you don't have to address them, then go off on reproductive issues.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yet this is a topic of gun control. See the distraction part of my previous post. You call everyone's points that you disagree with "irrelevant" so you don't have to address them, then go off on reproductive issues.
Did you even bother to read the post I was replying to or did you just look and say "Oh this idiot made a post, let me find something I could use against him..."? I'd suggest reading that post again even if you did. http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...l#post38378123 The poster, lives in Texas and was saying how he would not see gun related injuries but see car related injuries and injuries consistent with domestic violence, being under the influence of drugs or alcohol or not taking care of the children they have (where the reproduction reply comes in.)

If you can't understand this, I have nothing more to say to you...

Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM

325 posts, read 255,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
The drumbeat of opposition to ANY sort of restriction on gun ownership, use or availability means that there is a HUGE market for guns, new and used, legal and illegal. Qui bono? Gun makers, gun dealers and gun "consumers" all benefit. SOME of these consumers and dealers store, resell and use these guns irresponsibly. This causes great damage to our society in the form of death, injury, criminality and a state of fear and mistrust.
While no one is questioning the 2nd amendment, many question the sanity of our failure to limit the amount of guns "sloshing" around our country these days. The republic has stood for over 200 years but I don't think we've ever had guns so widely spread amongst the general populace, many of whom are just too impulsive and irresponsible to have guns near to hand, sorry to say. But it's a fact of human nature and we live in a crowded world.
The "Chicago" meme always seems a bit false to me. The city can have all the gun laws it likes, but if all any bad actor has to do is to step outside the city limits and buy guns from willing sellers unencumbered from dealing with who they're selling to, then the city's laws are meaningless. The rest of the Chicago lesson is pretty clear: urban areas don't benefit from having so many guns around that anyone, no matter how anti-social, can get a gun quickly, cheaply and anonymously.
It's almost as if the country needs one law for responsible, adult, rural dwelling gun owners and another for everyone else. People who really want them for home protection in a city (of questionable value according to many studies) should be under more restrictive requirements than we now have almost everywhere. And that's not any violation of the 2nd amendment.
The criminals for the most part are not buying their guns, they are stealing them. It is these illegal weapons which pass around the country from street gang to street gang. Felons are not walking into gun stores and pawn shops and getting the Brady check. Straw buyers account for only a small percentage of illegal street weapons. And last, the police are reactive, they can only respond after the action has occurred. Only you can be proactive in stopping the event.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:49 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
The criminals for the most part are not buying their guns, they are stealing them. It is these illegal weapons which pass around the country from street gang to street gang. Felons are not walking into gun stores and pawn shops and getting the Brady check. Straw buyers account for only a small percentage of illegal street weapons. And last, the police are reactive, they can only respond after the action has occurred. Only you can be proactive in stopping the event.
Yeah, I've heard this before, but it doesn't stand up to examination. First off, there is lots of anti-social gun use that is not "street gang" action. Gun afficianados have to own that, too. Because of our overactive gun market, many people own guns and are careless (i.e; don't secure them) with them. Think of recent news stories. You may be afraid of a gang but that sure is not the only way to get hurt with a gun. Where I live, there's a shooting of a person that is nowhere near being a gang criminal, all the time. Autistic kid, child's mother, little sibling, you name it. I have young adult children and I worry WAY more about some hothead shooting them over some stupid dispute, than I do that they'll run into a hardened gangster bent on harming them.
Secondly, the definition of "criminal" gets expanded by the gun lobby every time something bad happens with a gun. "Oh, he shot someone he shouldn't have, well he's a criminal-we never said CRIMINALS should have guns." Sorry, but that doesn't wash: the shooter wasn't a criminal, he may well have not risen to the level of "mentally ill," he was just a person and people are fallible. Gun lobby needs to accept and deal with THAT fact. Sure, AFTER a person shoots someone in a hot moment they're a criminal; but before that they're just a person.
Was Adam Lanza a "criminal?" Not until he shot his mother in her bed, before that he was just a very troubled young man and his family and the gun dealers they dealt with were grossly irresponsible. The gun industry was irresponsibly pushing a lust for a weapon of military appearance to appeal to his mother's insecurities. Sorry I don't know more, she's not here to ask about that, anymore.
Was the 2 year old in the Wal-Mart who shot his mother with his gun mentally ill? Don't know, will be a LONG time before we get a serious diagnosis on that poor kid.

Again, sorry, but the gun lobby: dealers, makers, advertisers and buyers need to accept that our society is made up of all sorts of people who are prey to all sorts of motivations, whims, angers and fears. Deadly hardware can't be left around for people to access casually, and many people will NEVER be able to behave with the sort of disciplined self control that is the hallmark of military training and that is essential when lethal weapons are at hand.
Message to anyone contemplating buying or selling a gun: KNOW WHERE IT IS AT ALL TIMES, SECURE IT from theft and misuse at all costs, YOU are responsible for it no matter what from the moment you buy it to the moment you sell it ONLY to a person who can also live up to these provisos. You have no right to endanger others in civil society around you with your choice to own a gun.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard this before, but it doesn't stand up to examination. First off, there is lots of anti-social gun use that is not "street gang" action. Gun afficianados have to own that, too. Because of our overactive gun market, many people own guns and are careless (i.e; don't secure them) with them. Think of recent news stories. You may be afraid of a gang but that sure is not the only way to get hurt with a gun. Where I live, there's a shooting of a person that is nowhere near being a gang criminal, all the time. Autistic kid, child's mother, little sibling, you name it. I have young adult children and I worry WAY more about some hothead shooting them over some stupid dispute, than I do that they'll run into a hardened gangster bent on harming them.
Secondly, the definition of "criminal" gets expanded by the gun lobby every time something bad happens with a gun. "Oh, he shot someone he shouldn't have, well he's a criminal-we never said CRIMINALS should have guns." Sorry, but that doesn't wash: the shooter wasn't a criminal, he may well have not risen to the level of "mentally ill," he was just a person and people are fallible. Gun lobby needs to accept and deal with THAT fact. Sure, AFTER a person shoots someone in a hot moment they're a criminal; but before that they're just a person.
Was Adam Lanza a "criminal?" Not until he shot his mother in her bed, before that he was just a very troubled young man and his family and the gun dealers they dealt with were grossly irresponsible. The gun industry was irresponsibly pushing a lust for a weapon of military appearance to appeal to his mother's insecurities. Sorry I don't know more, she's not here to ask about that, anymore.
Was the 2 year old in the Wal-Mart who shot his mother with his gun mentally ill? Don't know, will be a LONG time before we get a serious diagnosis on that poor kid.

Again, sorry, but the gun lobby: dealers, makers, advertisers and buyers need to accept that our society is made up of all sorts of people who are prey to all sorts of motivations, whims, angers and fears. Deadly hardware can't be left around for people to access casually, and many people will NEVER be able to behave with the sort of disciplined self control that is the hallmark of military training and that is essential when lethal weapons are at hand.
Message to anyone contemplating buying or selling a gun: KNOW WHERE IT IS AT ALL TIMES, SECURE IT from theft and misuse at all costs, YOU are responsible for it no matter what from the moment you buy it to the moment you sell it ONLY to a person who can also live up to these provisos. You have no right to endanger others in civil society around you with your choice to own a gun.
We just had a neighbor, in broad daylight, have his 1000 lb safe, bolted to the garage floor, stolen. Do we throw him in jail? His 200K in weapons are now on the streets.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We just had a neighbor, in broad daylight, have his 1000 lb safe, bolted to the garage floor, stolen. Do we throw him in jail? His 200K in weapons are now on the streets.
It merits looking into, he may well deserve a pass, but maybe not.
First question that comes to mind: 200K? That's a lot. Was it two REALLY nice antiques or high end shotguns, or was it 200 modern military type rifles? In short, his intent and the thieves "temptation" is in question. The first indicates a tragic loss of some nice things. The second would look more like a money making target for thieves that might well have not been secure enough. I'm sure an investigation could raise a few more questions and maybe provide the answers, which might determine how "prosecution worthy" this person might be.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Negligence is just that, negligence. It's human nature nothing we do will solve that. No law, no jail time, nothing. Humans are fallible. I get fired up everytime I see someone texting and driving on the freeway, because of what they are doing they are endangering my family or my life. Not much I can do about it right ? Or the drunk driver... or just someone that just happened to loose concentration for a second while driving. Accidents like this happen FAR more than negligent firearm deaths. But because of the fear of the firearm society chastises them, you know ...because they are "designed to kill"

The last month here in the Detroit area we've had quite a few firearms deaths involving children. In all the cases either the parents should not have had a firearm (convicted felon) or it was a gun that the kid himself got (again, illegal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies