Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:51 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
The 505th PIR is heading to Iraq to help take on ISIL . Go get em boys and God's speed!

https://www.facebook.com/panther.bri...791547/?type=1
Wait a minute, didn't Obama declare the war in Iraq was over?

"10/21/11 07:49 PM EDT President Obama announced Friday that the U.S. will complete its drawdown of troops by the end of the year, concluding the war in Iraq after almost nine years"

Obama declares Iraq war over with all US troops home at year's end | TheHill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Wait a minute, didn't Obama declare the war in Iraq was over?

"10/21/11 07:49 PM EDT President Obama announced Friday that the U.S. will complete its drawdown of troops by the end of the year, concluding the war in Iraq after almost nine years"

Obama declares Iraq war over with all US troops home at year's end | TheHill
You are not supposed to remember that. Quoting Obama's own words is racist...didn't you get the memo?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
As a former paratrooper, HHC Recon, 2/325 AIR 82nd ABN and Iraq combat vet, I am proud of my airborne brothers who are deploying to help eliminate ISIL.

Look, I get that the war in Iraq was misguided and foolish, but these ISIL idiots just need to be exterminated. If you really believe that they are going to leave us alone over here once they have control over there, then I can assure you that you are wrong. This is the unfortunate reality that we live in. We screwed up the entire region and now we have to win the fight. Next time don't vote for an idiot who's never read a history book.

God bless the Airborne and let's hope they come home safely and soon.
That sounds eerily similar to the "If we don't fight them over there we'll have to fight them over here" BS the American public was fed about the North Vietnamese COMMUNISTS!

What reason is there to believe this situation is any different?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
The 505th PIR is heading to Iraq to help take on ISIL . Go get em boys and God's speed!

https://www.facebook.com/panther.bri...791547/?type=1
They'll be in good company:

Canada will not dial down military mission in Iraq, Harper says - The Globe and Mail

Old 02-05-2015, 02:37 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That sounds eerily similar to the "If we don't fight them over there we'll have to fight them over here" BS the American public was fed about the North Vietnamese COMMUNISTS!

What reason is there to believe this situation is any different?
Well, for starters, the North Vietnamese weren't threatening to invade the U.S. or openly pledging to commit acts of terror on our soil. ISIL is making those threats and almost certainly will carry them out if we don't stop them.

Actually, I find it difficult to understand how anyone who is reasonably informed could possibly believe that ISIL isn't a threat to Western countries. They are better funded and more organized than Al Qaeda. Clearly that's a problem.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
the bottom line is we cannot afford to send out troops to defend the oil production even if it is owned by Americans. We have no duty to protect anything owned by foreigners.

Again I call for us to get out of the area and let them handle the ISIS fanatics. Islam has always succeeded in raising armies of fanatic warriors. These gangs rape, torture and kill indiscriminately for God and Glory. These gangs soon turn on themselves after any conquest. We should be patient and not interfere with the natural order of Islamic fanatic gangs. We should just be ready to kill the survivors when appropriate.

The wild card in the area is whether the Persians (non-Arab Iraqis) get nuclear weapons before the Arabs that were mistakenly included in their country. Note- I doubt if the Persians are actually developing nuclear weapons. If this happens in the next decade or so the Arab fanatics along with many innocent bystanders are doomed.

If there are attacks on the West by the ISIS fanatics our intelligence (?) services should identify the perpetrators and locate them and their families. Then the country attacked should exterminate the terrorists and kill them and ALL their relatives. Those are the ways of ISIS war and we should give worse then we get. Vengeance may be God's but until He actually does anything we should do His will.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Well, for starters, the North Vietnamese weren't threatening to invade the U.S. or openly pledging to commit acts of terror on our soil. ISIL is making those threats and almost certainly will carry them out if we don't stop them.
Yeah, they're a real threat to launch an invasion of the US, eh?

Quote:
Actually, I find it difficult to understand how anyone who is reasonably informed could possibly believe that ISIL isn't a threat to Western countries. They are better funded and more organized than Al Qaeda. Clearly that's a problem.
I find it difficult to understand how anyone who is reasonably informed could possibly believe a bunch of rag-tag dirt bags can pose a threat to a country that's poured billions upon billions of $$$ into its defense systems. If they actually do we've been horrifyingly duped by Washington in general and the Pentagon specifically.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:49 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Absolutely.

I'm also a former paratrooper (B Co. 4/325 ABCT Vicenza , Italy) and this is a load of b.s.

We have no business sending our boys to die in some Middle Eastern hellhole that is no threat to us!
Thank you for your service. Cool assignment by the way. I never made it over to Vicenza but one of the guys in my platoon was there for a year and he loved it.

I'm pretty sure ISIL is a real threat to us and not just to the Iraqis. A well organized, well funded, highly combat effective extremist militant group isn't something we can afford to ignore. The longer they stay in power, the more money they accumulate and the more crazies they recruit, the bigger the problem.

I just hope the boys in the 505 help dispatch them quickly. Does make you wonder if the president really wants to win the fight when they send the 505 instead of the 325 though...

Old 02-05-2015, 05:34 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
One question;.......how many of those hundreds of ground to air missiles that went missing during the Benghazi debacle have been found? Stephens forgotten already is he?

To attack "America" one does not necessarily have to actually attack North America the continent, eh?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
As a former paratrooper, HHC Recon, 2/325 AIR 82nd ABN and Iraq combat vet, I am proud of my airborne brothers who are deploying to help eliminate ISIL.

Look, I get that the war in Iraq was misguided and foolish, but these ISIL idiots just need to be exterminated. If you really believe that they are going to leave us alone over here once they have control over there, then I can assure you that you are wrong. This is the unfortunate reality that we live in. We screwed up the entire region and now we have to win the fight. Next time don't vote for an idiot who's never read a history book.

God bless the Airborne and let's hope they come home safely and soon.

Interesting view from a vet (thanks for your service!). I agree that ISIS needs to be contained/eliminated, but I am reluctant (I am not a vet, but most of my family members are) to have more US boys killed. It is easy for politicians to have someone else's children die, but not thier own.

I personally feel as though we should use fuel air bombs, drones, and occasional insertion of special forces (make it a special forces "play ground") to minimize casualties. I also favor the "Reagan approach" of using local forces to fight our enemies. That approach can "backfire" as well, in that our "friends" in Afghanistan evolved into our enemies over twenty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies