U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 AM

25,631 posts, read 30,310,140 times

Advertisements

Obama lectures Christians: don't judge ISIS too harshly...remember all the bad stuff Christians did

Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,130,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Christians have done "terrible deeds in the name of Christ" (yes- about 600 years ago), according to Obama. I guess Muslims burning a man alive needs some form of comment, and this is the best that our anti-semitic, Muslim POTUS can come up with.

Perhaps we should not elect any further Muslims to the White House, as recent history would suggest it was a poor decision.

My Way News - Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'
I tried to give you a rep, but cd wouldn't let me. Anyway, right on!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:07 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,983,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
How awful! He should cater to the right more often so as not to hurt their feelings so.
I don't think anyone finds his comments relevant enough to have their feelings hurt, which is the problem.

3,401 posts, read 1,913,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
After seeing how Muslims act now, no wonder our predecessors had to institute an Inquisition to deal with it...looks like we'll need to do somethign similar in our future as well.
Do they invade countries under false pretenses, turning them into failed states and kidnaping their citizens to hold them in torture prisons the way right-wing Christians are so fond of?

No, until the Christian Right starts behaving a little more Christian and a little less Right their complaints will fall on deaf ears. Right wing Christians are far worse than muslims in every way.

2,172 posts, read 1,205,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Christians have done "terrible deeds in the name of Christ" (yes- about 600 years ago), according to Obama. I guess Muslims burning a man alive needs some form of comment, and this is the best that our anti-semitic, Muslim POTUS can come up with.

Perhaps we should not elect any further Muslims to the White House, as recent history would suggest it was a poor decision.

My Way News - Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'
And if you'd bothered to keep reading......

Quote:
"So it is not unique to one group or one religion," Obama said. "There is a tendency in us, a simple tendency that can pervert and distort our faith."

Old 02-05-2015, 11:09 AM

23,219 posts, read 11,473,657 times
If you read the article, what he actually said is...

Quote:
Unless we get on our high horse and think that this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said. "In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ.

"So it is not unique to one group or one religion," Obama said. "There is a tendency in us, a simple tendency that can pervert and distort our faith."

Obama called for all people of faiths to show humility about their beliefs and reject the idea that "God speaks only to us and doesn't speak to others."
He is saying that extremist shouldnt define any religion.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 AM

2,967 posts, read 4,164,019 times
Are you suggesting that Christians have NOT done horrible deeds in the name of Christ? Do you want him to lie?

If you believe this is not true, you are in denial. It has been happening since the dawn of these religions, and it is happening now.

Would you prefer that Obama lie about factual history and reality? He is not a revisionist.

Quote:
Obama called for all people of faiths to show humility about their beliefs and reject the idea that "God speaks only to us and doesn't speak to others"
Bravo.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM

6,911 posts, read 4,913,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Yup, Obama wants us to ignore all the murders against innocent men, women and children over the past two decades by Muslim terrorists, but we need to focus on what Christians did 800-1,000 years ago.

I must have missed the part where he asked us to ignore or forgive what ISIS has done, or where he apologized for it (let's stick to this speech for now). I think his point was that you can't condemn Islam for the actions of ISIS anymore than one could condemn Christianity for the actions of the Crusaders or the KKK.

Funny, if you aren't looking for hate (the way everyone in this thread is seemingly doing), you might realize that he is not only defending Christianity, but holding it up as a standard of what "should be". Admitting it has flaws, but showing it's greatness in spite of the flaws.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:13 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,793,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
"Unless we get on our high horse and think that this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said. "In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ.

And let us not forget that back in the caveman days....

Is the past ever the past with this America hating president? Here he is blaming all Christians alive today, for the deeds of men dead for a thousand years, while telling us we cannot implicate 99.9% of Muslims for the deeds of Muslims today.

[/SIZE]
I don't see where he is blaming anyone in the quote above.

He is simply stating historical fact.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,983,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I must have missed the part where he asked us to ignore or forgive what ISIS has done, or where he apologized for it (let's stick to this speech for now). I think his point was that you can't condemn Islam for the actions of ISIS anymore than one could condemn Christianity for the actions of the Crusaders or the KKK.
He's made that point in more ways than previously thought possible. Great, it's not all Muslims! What's next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or