U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 PM
 
51,736 posts, read 41,660,095 times
Reputation: 32297

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I guess I'd consider myself a Centrist or a moderate Republican.
1. The whole "equal pay" thing is just political garbage no different than Obama is a communist garbage.

2. Definitely the reps have a strong anti-gay faction but frankly, as a gay of color you probably know better than anyone that there are a lot of anti-gay dems of color and even Obama was against gay marriage until public opinion "changed his mind".

However, in general the two parties aren't that much different in action, just in talk.

So, my advice....just try to pick good consistent candidates and refrain from picking a party.
Also don't be afraid to vote 3rd party.

 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,110,215 times
Reputation: 11618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Unfortunately, they really aren't anymore. They've begun pandering more and more to the far left. Just as the Republican Party started years ago pandering more and more to the far right.
What far left positions has the Democratic Party adopted that you oppose? From my end, I can't see any
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM
 
51,736 posts, read 41,660,095 times
Reputation: 32297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The Democrats ARE the center party.
Sshhhhhh moderates talking, go peddle your BS somewhere else.
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 PM
 
Location: North America
14,210 posts, read 10,081,178 times
Reputation: 5547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sshhhhhh moderates talking, go peddle your BS somewhere else.
Where? I thought Republicans were talking here .
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 PM
 
1,198 posts, read 958,578 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I guess I'd consider myself a Centrist or a moderate Republican.
Women do get equal pay. In 2015 the wage gap is a myth, but I would still never vote republican for fiscal reasons. I don't feel like just handing this country over to corporations. Safety nets and taxation are a good thing.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwogDPh-Sow
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,441,250 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I guess I'd consider myself a Centrist or a moderate Republican.
Nice post. I too have felt incredible frustration with the Dems. I am a Mexican-American gay man and also agree with you on what you say. I voted Dem all of my life up until 2012, when I split ticket between libertarian and Dem. I STILL cannot bring myself to vote for a Repub, although I'm considering doing so for my local US rep Blake Farenthold. I realize that gay rights have made enormous strides under Dem administrations, but resent Obamas kowtowing to illegal immigrants and treating them to our tax $$ via the "pay their taxes, stand in line, come out out of the chadows" song and dance. Obama, Hillary and Jeb Bush also support increasing the number of H1B visas to foreign workers, which is horrifying. It leads me to believe that there is nobody to turn to who supports the American worker. When I was younger, it seemed to me that Dems enjoyed huge Union support. I'm not sure why unions support them now. The situation in our country looks more bleak as years go on- sigh. Obamas latest budget proposal makes me want to leave this country entirely. Nowhere was there ANY tax benefit for a single no kids working guy. There was plenty for ppl with kids, married couples, very low incomes, etc, but why not ppl like me? I thought that single working ppl, especially women was one of Obamas core constituencies who make the difference in the swing states? Where's OUR reward? He'd rather give it away to illegals and their kids than someone like me. It's pretty disgusting. At least Repub historically support a broad based tax, which actually benefits those who bother to PAY TAXES. Repubs also seem to be for deporting illegals, but for the H1B ppl at the same time. The country is really in the shatter.
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,066,637 times
Reputation: 2136
I'm aware that women don't have equal pay. But from what I've seen, most people against women getting equal pay were Republicans (and again--I'm not saying that ALL Republicans think this, or that ALL Democrats believe women should have equal pay). So that was one issue that's turned me off from rooting for the Republican candidates before.

To answer another person who asked what far-left policies I'm annoyed with...look at San Francisco. Trying to ban eating meat or salt on certain days, trying to ban male circumcision. Look at far-left liberals who want to stop people from saying "Have a Blessed Day". Just because it might offend someone who isn't Christian--yes, this was in the news recently. And by the way, someone saying "Have a Blessed Day" doesn't have a particular connotation with a certain religion of any kind. It's just a kind act, but far-left liberals are so super politically correct that they are now saying we should take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance, stop saying "Have a Blessed Day", and be anti-Israel just because the extremist Palestinians are the "underdog", even if they are the terrorists in the situation over there. Another idiotic piece of crap from far-liberals--if you don't like Islam, you're called a racist, even though Islam isn't a race. It's awful and terrible to criticize Islam--to the point of saying that ISIS and the Paris shooters "aren't Islamic" or "aren't Muslim"--yet it's just fine for liberals to criticize Christianity of be anti-Jewish.

While I don't agree with many things the Republican Party stands for (or seemed to stand for), I respect their support for Israel, their love for America (instead of following the latest leftist trend of calling our troops "the real terrorists"), and their unity and family-feeling that they seem to have amongst each other.
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,066,637 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Nice post. I too have felt incredible frustration with the Dems. I am a Mexican-American gay man and also agree with you on what you say. I voted Dem all of my life up until 2012, when I split ticket between libertarian and Dem. I STILL cannot bring myself to vote for a Repub, although I'm considering doing so for my local US rep Blake Farenthold. I realize that gay rights have made enormous strides under Dem administrations, but resent Obamas kowtowing to illegal immigrants and treating them to our tax $$ via the "pay their taxes, stand in line, come out out of the chadows" song and dance. Obama, Hillary and Jeb Bush also support increasing the number of H1B visas to foreign workers, which is horrifying. It leads me to believe that there is nobody to turn to who supports the American worker. When I was younger, it seemed to me that Dems enjoyed huge Union support. I'm not sure why unions support them now. The situation in our country looks more bleak as years go on- sigh. Obamas latest budget proposal makes me want to leave this country entirely. Nowhere was there ANY tax benefit for a single no kids working guy. There was plenty for ppl with kids, married couples, very low incomes, etc, but why not ppl like me? I thought that single working ppl, especially women was one of Obamas core constituencies who make the difference in the swing states? Where's OUR reward? He'd rather give it away to illegals and their kids than someone like me. It's pretty disgusting. At least Repub historically support a broad based tax, which actually benefits those who bother to PAY TAXES. Repubs also seem to be for deporting illegals, but for the H1B ppl at the same time. The country is really in the shatter.
Completely agree with you--thank you for your insightful post.
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,748,691 times
Reputation: 18042
Anyone who even thinks either party is made up of one faction need only read the changes in party platform thru the years. I'd have to say the Op seems to see politics only from the view of what he considers himself being a victim of. My overall view is the security and prosperity of my family and generations to come. Assuring that; then the rest is up to them individually.
 
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 1,132,572 times
Reputation: 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I guess I'd consider myself a Centrist or a moderate Republican.
A Christian would actually hate the sin, but, love the sinner. I think all the rest of it would be dependent on you character and how you treated other people. I think you should come on over to the conservative side. That might be a bad word to you, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top