Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Unlike Republicans, Democrats have much deeper conflicts within their own policies:

Unions vs. illegal immigration
Teachers' unions vs. inner city kids
Gays vs. muslims
Opposition to "corporatism" and the 1% vs. policies that make the largest corporations even bigger and make the %1 even richer
Those aren't conflicts.

1) Unions are already controlled via their leadership so the dems can bend em over like they did by joining the Repubs on NAFTA....without repercussion.

2) Ditto. The inner city vote isn't going anywhere. Eff them....they don't make campaign contributions.

3) I don't buy that.

4) There is no opposition to corporatism by EITHER party. The populist crap that gets spewed is just lip service.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The Democrats ARE the center party.
Lol, good one.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Those aren't conflicts.

1) Unions are already controlled via their leadership so the dems can bend em over like they did by joining the Repubs on NAFTA....without repercussion.

2) Ditto. The inner city vote isn't going anywhere. Eff them....they don't make campaign contributions.

3) I don't buy that.

4) There is no opposition to corporatism by EITHER party. The populist crap that gets spewed is just lip service.
There is also underlying assumption in all this that Democrats are going to be pro-union which is not true if you are in the south. My state is probably the least union friendly state in America and while it is currently run by Republicans it was made the least union friendly under total Democratic control and stayed that way for decades under Democrats.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^It's good to hear that many more of y'all are like that than I originally thought.
You'll be amazed at what you hear once you stop listening to the far left democrat propaganda.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:36 AM

549 posts, read 456,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Reform ideas of our government will sound great to me (mostly) until I die. But why would Congress vote to make things fair for people? They haven't yet.
They can't, because "fair" is in the eye of the beholder. When you legislate fair for one, you invariably hurt another. This doesn't stop liberals from trying, which hurts even their own electorate. (See my previous post about liberal conflicts of interests)
Naturally, conservatives' definitions of fair are conflicting too. As a non-believer, I don't share social views or many Republicans. But (and this is a big BUT) the vast majority of the modern day conservatives are not trying to legislate their views. In fact, the effort is to get the federal government completely out of people's lives, let the state control their lands, environment and infrastructure, and empower the local communities.

Unfortunately, the media is trying to portray the argument as "liberal fairness" vs. "conservative fairness", while in fact it's "liberal fairness" vs. "live and let live".

Old 02-06-2015, 07:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
buh bye!!!

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I guess I'd consider myself a Centrist or a moderate Republican.
" I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us" Thankfully they are few and far between.

"I also think women should have equal pay," The law for equal pay has been on the books for decades.

"the right to choose" They have that already. But, remember "the right to choose" should apply to EVERYONE.

"there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican" You have been listening to too much dem and liberal media propaganda.

There is a whole lot MORE hatred on the dem side.

You could join the Log Cabin Republicans. You DO know who they are, don't you?

There are MANY more blacks, Jews and gays who are registered repubs then you think.

I think you should do a little more research.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-06-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I'm almost you except I'm stuck being not of color (and female). BOTH parties have changed dramatically since the 1960s. I was a dem for 37.5 years and moved out of NY and proudly became unaffiliated. Most dems and reps. look the same and sounded the same, I can't tell the real difference anymore. But tucked in a corner is a photo of Ms. Eleanor R. eating cake with my mom standing over her. They were campaigning for Adlai Stevenson and there were real democrats back then. I could see the difference . But the reality is I'm sure there was scheming and deal-making back then as it has been likely since the beginning of human's existence.
" Most dems and reps. look the same and sounded the same, I can't tell the real difference anymore."

I don't think you follow politics much.

If you did , you would see a world of difference.

Expand your news sources from BOTH sides. It might open your eyes and broaden you mind.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Women do get equal pay. In 2015 the wage gap is a myth, but I would still never vote republican for fiscal reasons. I don't feel like just handing this country over to corporations. Safety nets and taxation are a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwogDPh-Sow
"I don't feel like just handing this country over to corporations."

Most people know that the dems have the SAME amount of influence as the repubs on the issue of "corporations".

Only blind partisans think otherwise.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
... but I would still never vote republican for fiscal reasons. I don't feel like just handing this country over to corporations. Safety nets and taxation are a good thing.
A 2009 Huffington Post article updated in 2011:

"Barack Obama: King Of Corporate Welfare

No matter what else he achieves or where he falls short, Barack Obama can lay claim to the title of King of Corporate Subsidies. Using any of a variety of measures, the Obama administration has broken all records in the distribution of taxpayer dollars to American businesses, primarily banks, automobile manufacturers and insurance companies."

Barack Obama: King Of Corporate Welfare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies