U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 6,774,840 times
Reputation: 2033

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Christ is in the name of the religion Christianity, look it up, and the last time I looked "death cult" was not Islam.

FWIW I'm not a religious person, I was born and baptized Christian as an infant, but that's as far as it goes with me.

You can continue to play games all you like, but Obama took careful steps to not connect ISIL directly to Islam or the Prophet Mohammad, but had no problems connecting Americans, the crusades, the inquisition, slavery and Jim Crow laws to Christ.

No one is putting words in my mouth, I am using the transcript from Obama's speech.

Obama National Prayer Breakfast 2015 Text Transcript and Full Video; 'The Starting Point of Faith Is Some Doubt'

BTW, Muslim terrorists shout "Allahu Akbar" before murdering innocent people, not "stand up for Islam."
Because not all Muslims support what ISIL is doing....... Obama was just trying to show how brutality can be used by any religion.

The crusades and inquisition are the greatest examples of Christian brutality. He could have pointed to colonialism which had Christian undertones as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Florida
62,642 posts, read 34,149,323 times
Reputation: 10399
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Christ is in the name of the religion Christianity, look it up, and the last time I looked "death cult" was not Islam.
Right. The crimes during the inquisition were committed in the name of Christ, which makes it worse, because it is an attempt to place blame incorrectly on Christ. The point which evades you is the fact that the people were NOT Christians, but impersonators, who used Christianity as a tool, and a scapegoat. An atheist could commit crimes and claim to do them in the name of Christ, but it does not make it a "Christian crime".

The torturers were not Christians, so why do you associate them with Christian faith. The whole point is to say Christianity used as a tool to commit crimes.

Quote:
FWIW I'm not a religious person, I was born and baptized Christian as an infant,
but that's as far as it goes with me.
I am Christian, and I agree inquisition was a crime against humanity and against God, and there is nothing wrong in talking about it. They will answer to God for their crimes, as will ISIS.

Quote:
You can continue to play games all you like, but Obama took careful steps to not
connect ISIL directly to Islam
He specifically said it was about islam. It is not my fault you are not comprehending simple language. This is what happens when you allow people put words in your mouth.

Quote:
No one is putting words in my mouth, I am using the transcript from Obama's speech.
Yes, let's do it again:

"But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge -- or, worse, sometimes used as a weapon. From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam"

Read it for yourself, and don't just repeat something you heard in the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,007 posts, read 19,495,190 times
Reputation: 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Then why bring up the crusades? That was an attempt to make what ISIS is doing acceptable and it is not in any way shape or form. Two wrongs don't make a right. Period.
Maybe this is why:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzjCHlRA_Yc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,007 posts, read 19,495,190 times
Reputation: 7719

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRVcnX8Vsw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 01:02 PM
 
26,188 posts, read 18,890,991 times
Reputation: 14039
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
bammers brought up the crusades because of a George bush video?

utter logic fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Florida
62,642 posts, read 34,149,323 times
Reputation: 10399
CIC=Crusader In Chief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,007 posts, read 19,495,190 times
Reputation: 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
bammers brought up the crusades because of a George bush video?

utter logic fail.
A crusade is a crusade and Bush called it a crusade. Not a video but a video of Bush announcing to the country that we are on a crusade that will take awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,055,314 times
Reputation: 2136
In reality and in many ways...he was right. Except this time, the Jews & Christians (and Hindus and Buddhists, for that matter) are all on one team, and the Muslims started this fight--as they did last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
 
26,188 posts, read 18,890,991 times
Reputation: 14039
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A crusade is a crusade and Bush called it a crusade. Not a video but a video of Bush announcing to the country that we are on a crusade that will take awhile.
a crusade is a crusade, huh? like this one?

Quote:
cru·sade
(kro͞o-sād′)A concerted effort or vigorous movement for a cause or against an abuse
so what's your point?

Obama lectured us, in a speech about ISIS, not 'get on our high horse' about Islamic terrorism and invoked the medieval crusades because bush once used the term?

that still makes less than zero sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 PM
 
1,825 posts, read 1,208,110 times
Reputation: 539
I think the crusades are a fair comparison. I am also surprised how ignorant people are about what the crusades were. Like ISIS the crusades were about killing or converting anyone who did not adhere to a very specific form of Christianity. While the most famous crusades were against Muslims they were also against Pagans, Jews, Eastern Christians, Cathars, other Catholics etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top