Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
We also rank 182nd in the world alphabetically and Obama and the Democrats aren't doing a thing. Seriously 182nd is near the bottom. [snip]
Your comment is so germane, deep, really interesting. Thanks for contributing such insightful information to this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 01:15 PM

963 posts, read 689,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
November and December revised up by 147k, November had the single best month of job growth since 1997.

Unemployment rate up .1% to 5.7% percent as more people are looking for jobs again as the market improves. LFPR up .2% to 62.9%.

2.2% rise in average hourly earnings.

Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7% - WSJ
ALL job growth since 2000 goes to "immigrants"

Quote:
Though there has been some recovery from the Great Recession, there were still fewer working-age natives holding a job in the first quarter of 2014 than in 2000, while the number of immigrants with a job was 5.7 million above the 2000 level.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:19 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Your comment is so germane, deep, really interesting. Thanks for contributing such insightful information to this discussion.
Best one of the day. two thumbs up.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:31 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup and those 1.3 million TEMPORARY SEASONAL JOBS Mercea mentioned will all be back the end of this year once again (as they arrive EVERY YEAR) - only THEN they'll be ON TOP of the 3+ MILLION full-time jobs added last year AND - from the look of things - an even greater number of full-time jobs that will likely be added THIS YEAR.

Mircea likes to cherry pick by only looking at the specific months when seasonal jobs GO AWAY while conveniently ignoring those months when those seasonal jobs APPEARED. The pattern of such seasonal jobs appearing and then disappearing is a constantly repeating thing that happens every single year. Consequently, such patterns don't tell us much about how the economy is doing - which is WHY the BLS doesn't count them (either when they APPEAR or when they DISAPPEAR) in the widely quoted seasonally-adjusted monthly jobs report. There's just not a lot of point in touting them when they appear or bemoaning them when they vanish again. It's just something that happens every holiday season - just as SUMMER SEASONAL JOBS - which are mostly tourism-related - do the same thing in the early summer and fall. Anyone with more than half a brain should understand that - it's not all that complicated, and anyone who is honest should acknowledge it.

Little by little we've been crawling out of the economic cesspool left by the Bush years.

Ken
Can you be a little more specific about the economic cesspool. The economy was doing well until the housing market crashed. Blaming presidents for recessions is pretty ignorant in reality. The president's job is not really to baby sit the people, it is to keep the country safe and be a mentor. The people elect presidents, so why don't you just blame them? The Fed reserve is responsible for that type of recession, which was created by a progressive. Not saying that he was the best but are you so ignorant to think that there are not going to be serious repercussions and another depression by the way things are being handled now or just trying to be funny? Who are you going to blame when the crap really hits the fan again? You have a serious lack of footing in reality.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 02-07-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 01:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The economy was doing well until the housing market crashed.
It wasn't. Sure, stock markets and loans were high but the economy really never recovered to a healthy level after the 2001 recession (which was a rather mild one to begin with).

Personally, I do not recall receiving 4-5 phone calls every day in the 2000s, until now. It used to happen in late 90s, and it is happening right now. Heck, I've asked my friends if they know someone who is looking for a job (for two positions that are well paid in analytics field). I got one contact but not useful one as she needed work permit (visa).

Old 02-07-2015, 01:43 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
"American Entrepreneurship: Dead or Alive?"

by Jim Clifton
Chairman and CEO of Gallup

"The U.S. now ranks not first, not second, not third, but 12th among developed nations in terms of business startup activity. Countries such as Hungary, Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Sweden, Israel and Italy all have higher startup rates than America does.

We are behind in starting new firms per capita, and this is our single most serious economic problem. Yet it seems like a secret. You never see it mentioned in the media, nor hear from a politician that, for the first time in 35 years, American business deaths now outnumber business births."

"I don't want to sound like a doomsayer, but when small and medium-sized businesses are dying faster than they're being born, so is free enterprise. And when free enterprise dies, America dies with it."
That's what regulations do. Hurt the small business owner.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hope so..we've been "recovering" for nearly 6 years now.

Dubya's Great Recession has been a bad one. The worst in 3 generations. Took years to collapse the economy, it's taken a few less to get it pointed in the right direction.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Einstein'sGhost, I'm seeing a ton of activity amongst those I know too..regarding employment opportunities, and like you, I know few truly wanting new jobs. I am also talking about very well paying jobs.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:08 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I love the daily leftwing propagandist topics. It's so Stalin, libs. We don't believe your skewed reports of how wonderful America is doing under the boy king. [b]We know better[\b]. You don't believe them either but you're so invested in your boy you can't quit now. LOL!
No, you don't. You know Breitbart and Coulter. That's pretty much it.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:15 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^I see.

According to you, just because you are in denial about this issue, then it can't possibly be true.

You and your ilk are always demanding links. When given them, if you don't like what you hear, you go on a rant.
I don't like what I hear when it's obviously nonsense - but hey that's just me. I actually like the articles I read to make sense.
Silly me.

Any idiot can post a blog and say whatever they want. That doesn't mean that what they say has any value.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies