U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 AM

24,000 posts, read 32,846,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Personally, this phrase offends me. When someone says it, I want to respond, go **** yourself! For this reason, I think businesses who ban people from using it are making a good call. What do you think?
Get a life.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,832,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
blessed - definition of blessed by The Free Dictionary

bless·ed

(blĕs′ĭd) also blest (blĕst)
adj.1. a. Worthy of worship; holy.
b. Held in veneration; revered.

2. Blessed Roman Catholic Church Used as a title before the name of one who has been beatified.
3. Bringing happiness, pleasure, or contentment.
4. blessed Used as an intensive.

Why not just take it as number 3. Nothing to do with religion at all.

How can a day be blessed?

Should we worship the day? Should we revere the day? How?

Actually, the entire phrase "have a blessed day" makes no sense.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 AM

9,595 posts, read 5,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

I think you may be overthinking it. As is the op.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Purposely obtuse. Another great progressive trait.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:34 AM

15,037 posts, read 31,425,067 times
Eh, it doesn't bother me so much. It lasts a total of two seconds and I'm gone, and I may hear it once a month at the most.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:40 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,083,215 times
Quote:
I don't go to a place of business to be a captive audience to you to proselytize to me about whatever flavor of God you happen to find yummy. Check that at the door please.

Boo hoo, someone made a reference to God. Oh the horror!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:41 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,443,272 times
Quote:
Personally, this phrase offends me. When someone says it, I want to respond, go **** yourself! For this reason, I think businesses who ban people from using it are making a good call. What do you think?

Another example of seeking offense where none is offered or intended.

How are you harmed by someone wishing you well, even if it doesn't conform to a tradition you follow? How is anyone harmed?

Responding hatefully to someone who has offered what any emotionally mature person would recognize as good will does not make you look powerful or important. It just makes you look like an immature, ill-tempered jerk.

There is little enough good will in the world as it is. If someone wishes you well, even if the form does not follow your particular ideology, why not smile and say thank you and then just get on with your life? Why waste all that psychic energy being offended for no reason and fuming about it afterward?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM

52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Eh, it doesn't bother me so much. It lasts a total of two seconds and I'm gone, and I may hear it once a month at the most.
I'm deeply offended by your use of the word month which has deep roots in astrology and other spiritual origins.

Please in the future refer to time units as fractional light years rounded to 10^7 decimal places.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,083,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Then stay the hell away from businesses that do that.

Progressives, accepting of differences, yeah right.

They're only accepting of speech and differences that THEY approve of!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,392,577 times
Quote:
I think that is a somewhat extreme position.

I can say that, for myself, I am a nonbeliever. I do not default to the belief in any gods. I acknowledge I could be wrong, but for most of my life I have been what you'd call an atheist (or maybe an apathetic agnostic.)

But it doesn't offend me when someone says "God Bless You" or "Have a Blessed Day" or "Merry Christmas" or things like that.

I may not share the beliefs of the person expressing those statements to me, but I see them as being sincere, well-intentioned and, well, just a nice thing to say. What's wrong with that?

It's not as if someone is kidnapping me and forcing me to convert. It's just a nice thing people say to each other. The world can use all the nice it can get. It's basic human kindness and it doesn't threaten my "nonbelief" or offend my sensibilities in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies