U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2015, 03:17 AM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,201,798 times
Reputation: 1707

Advertisements

Many examples in history of the majority of a population supporting unethical policies and social practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Our local CTV news station just did a poll of viewers asking if they agreed or disagreed with the Supreme Court's decision. They just announced the results and 74% of those who answered the poll are in agreement with the Supreme Court decision. I'm curious about whether or not other media will be doing polls and what their results will be.

.

 
Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 AM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,201,798 times
Reputation: 1707
If you want to put an end to your life for whatever reason as long as you don't make a mess about it and infringe on other people's lives, then feel free to do so. That is your right as an individual in a free society. But we should not be going down the road of state-sanctioned suicide. Today it may be scripted that it is only legal within a very narrow definition, but as we've seen opinions on this matter have changed radically in the last few decades, and seeing how easily Canadians are swayed by emotion-based propaganda campaigns, who knows what Canada will become in 50 or 100 years from now... Ever see the movie Logan's Run? We're one step closer to that becoming a reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
It's about time. As long as the person is of sound mind, it's not anybody's bloody business what one decides to do with their life or their bodies.

This could be quite divisive as I imagine support for it is much lower in Western Canada {especially the Prairies} than it is in Ontario and Quebec especially due to the much stronger presence of the religious right in Western Canada as opposed to Central.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Glasgow, UK
870 posts, read 806,654 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Many of the people opposed to this are "disabled" people who correctly view this as a threat to their rights.
There are many disabled people who are paranoid about assisted suicide, but that is a persecution complex and should not inform what rights are available to others. Moreover, most of the people who are 'standing up' for disabled people in this argument are religious conservatives, of the very kind who are bitterly opposed to any of their tax money going towards social programs that would help the disabled to enjoy a better life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Hmmm, interesting. You want Canadians' voices to be heard, but if they happen to have a religious perspective, then they have no right to express it. Basically you just want the discussion to fit into your narrow atheistic (and apparently morally bankrupt) parameters.
People have a right to their religion and whatever beliefs that entails. But they should never have the power to use their beliefs in order to force suffering on other people. That is why secularism should and must prevail, in the interests of a better world.

Any view that engenders forcing suffering on others for the sake of mysticism is one that should very rightly be marginalised.

If this is legalised, religious people will not have to die early, just like gay marriage laws don't force the religious to be married to people of the same sex.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 03:32 AM
 
Location: State of Grace
1,580 posts, read 1,132,426 times
Reputation: 2614
Well, clearly I've missed something. (Not subscribing to TV or newspapers might account for it - we don't have newspapers up here.)

Anyone care to give a synopsis of what's causing this brouhaha?

TIA,


Mahrie.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 03:41 AM
 
Location: State of Grace
1,580 posts, read 1,132,426 times
Reputation: 2614
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
There are many disabled people who are paranoid about assisted suicide, but that is a persecution complex and should not inform what rights are available to others. Moreover, most of the people who are 'standing up' for disabled people in this argument are religious conservatives, of the very kind who are bitterly opposed to any of their tax money going towards social programs that would help the disabled to enjoy a better life.



People have a right to their religion and whatever beliefs that entails. But they should never have the power to use their beliefs in order to force suffering on other people. That is why secularism should and must prevail, in the interests of a better world.

Any view that engenders forcing suffering on others for the sake of mysticism is one that should very rightly be marginalised.

If this is legalised, religious people will not have to die early, just like gay marriage laws don't force the religious to be married to people of the same sex.

Well, as long as its quid pro quo!

Everyone has beliefs, religious or otherwise. I don't want your beliefs, as evident as they are, to have any say in the quality of my life. So, you stay out of my life and I'll stay out of yours. Sound fair? Isn't that what a 'free' society is all about?

I get a kick out of people who think that because they don't believe in God, their secular beliefs are somehow less narrow. Having been a missionary for over forty years, that certainly hasn't been my experience.

FWIW,


Mahrie.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 AM
 
Location: Glasgow, UK
870 posts, read 806,654 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Well, as long as its quid pro quo!

Everyone has beliefs, religious or otherwise. I don't want your beliefs, as evident as they are, to have any say in the quality of my life. So, you stay out of my life and I'll stay out of yours. Sound fair? Isn't that what a 'free' society is all about?

I get a kick out of people who think that because they don't believe in God, their secular beliefs are somehow less narrow. Having been a missionary for over forty years, that certainly hasn't been my experience.

FWIW,


Mahrie.
That would be fine with me and that is what I'm arguing in favour of - people not being given the power to force suffering onto others because of their beliefs, whether derived from ancient mysticism or otherwise. Just as your religious beliefs should not be allowed to be used to force someone endure a lingering death, or many years of unbearable suffering, my atheistic beliefs should not be allowed to force you to have a premature death. No argument in that.

The vast majority of atheists that I've ever spoken to or heard of; and including myself of course; do not have a problem with other people believing in fairytales, as long as those people do not wield the power to force others to live by the rules of those delusions.

However, history has shown that it is seemingly impossible for religion to coexist peacefully with a progressive bill of rights for everyone. Therefore I not only ridicule religion because it is laughable and pathetic, but I also inveigh against the effect it has of holding back political progress.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 AM
 
18,137 posts, read 10,312,948 times
Reputation: 13245
What about this are you all missing? Why just that little thingy; the very first requirement of it being a selected choice by the individual, that's all.

Paranoia, and suspicion have entered into this thread on the pointy end of the religious stick.

Stop with the silliness of Canadians being more easily swayed by "emotion based propaganda campaigns" when perhaps it's your inability to accept any logic and science based premise due to YOUR stultifying religious beliefs that get in the way of common sense.

Jumping right to the conclusion "the state" will somehow take control, in an unbridled and obvious fear mongering campaign of your own with no foundational premise in fact is just another in those long lists of Canada somehow advancing sociologically in spite of religious zealotry and bigotry attempting to contain and control our development.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
564 posts, read 876,073 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Today it may be scripted that it is only legal within a very narrow definition, but as we've seen opinions on this matter have changed radically in the last few decades...who knows what Canada will become in 50 or 100 years from now... Ever see the movie Logan's Run? We're one step closer to that becoming a reality...
Next thing you know, blacks will want the right to vote. And women will want to go to university and become doctors, and maybe even hold political office. The horrors!

Sorry, but your argument sounds as fallacious as the one about how gay marriage was going to allow people to start marrying their dogs and chairs and such.

Laws evolve and change as cultures and attitudes evolve and change.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,215,367 times
Reputation: 7564
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Next thing you know, blacks will want the right to vote. And women will want to go to university and become doctors, and maybe even hold political office. The horrors!

Sorry, but your argument sounds as fallacious as the one about how gay marriage was going to allow people to start marrying their dogs and chairs and such.

Laws evolve and change as cultures and attitudes evolve and change.
completely agree.
All the fear-mongering should not prevent us from moving toward the right direction.

With respect to religion, it should never be allowed to rise above the law of the country. People should be allowed to believe whatever they want, but whenever there is a conflict, Canada's law should always supersede. If one doesn't like the law, move to another country as Canada ceases to the one right for him.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,201,798 times
Reputation: 1707
So what you're saying that Canada was all wrong before state-sanctioned suicide was condoned? Why weren't you moving away if not having so-called "doctor assisted" suicide so onerous. Why didn't the people who have a problem with our not having had it just move away, then?

Canada's laws are based on English Law, which consist of about 1000 years of legal interpretation based on Judeo-Christian values. Our laws are what they are because of biblical influence. To suggest that our laws are purely secular and should be above "religion" (ie. Christianity) is delusional. In fact, the only thing keeping our laws from causing our society to run amok, is the fact that there still a Christian influence in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
completely agree.
All the fear-mongering should not prevent us from moving toward the right direction.

With respect to religion, it should never be allowed to rise above the law of the country. People should be allowed to believe whatever they want, but whenever there is a conflict, Canada's law should always supersede. If one doesn't like the law, move to another country as Canada ceases to the one right for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top