U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2015, 12:19 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
So what you're saying that Canada was all wrong before state-sanctioned suicide was condoned? Why weren't you moving away if not having so-called "doctor assisted" suicide so onerous. Why didn't the people who have a problem with our not having had it just move away, then?

Canada's laws are based on English Law, which consist of about 1000 years of legal interpretation based on Judeo-Christian values. Our laws are what they are because of biblical influence. To suggest that our laws are purely secular and should be above "religion" (ie. Christianity) is delusional. In fact, the only thing keeping our laws from causing our society to run amok, is the fact that there still a Christian influence in our country.
Yes, it was wrong not to permitted assisted suicide before. Why didn't people move? First many are not affected by it. and two for those who were, it might be too expensive/complicated but it definitely made their life worse. Plus, people could just kill themselves with or without doctor's help.

You seem to think our law should be based on Christian beliefs. Well, I guess we should continue considering homosexuality a sin and punish it? Should we punish pre-marital sex or any extramarital sex since the bible says sex is only right between a husband and wife?

No matter how much the laws were based on Christianity, it is the religion that needs to evolve with current society, not that the law needs to respect the ancient and often antiquated religious creeds.

Ideally in the future, religions should be a purely personal thing and should not play any role in the government, because obviously, people become less and less dumb, and religion only thrives on people's ignorance (dumbness).

 
Old 02-10-2015, 12:46 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,207,345 times
Reputation: 1707
I'm quite certain that state-sanctioned murder and other base human behaviours that people like you consider "progressive" pre-date Christianity by many, many thousands of years. So you tell me whose beliefs are the ones that are "ancient" and "antiquated"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No matter how much the laws were based on Christianity, it is the religion that needs to evolve with current society, not that the law needs to respect the ancient and often antiquated religious creeds.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,207,345 times
Reputation: 1707
A nonsense argument. We're talking about state-sanctioned suicide not gender or racial inequality. Besides, blacks and women not having certain rights was the will of the majority, which someone else here was using as a justification for state-sanctioned suicide. People like you always flip-flop: one minute "rights" should be based what you think is best, the majority be damned; but then if the majority supports an issue, it's well the majority of Canadians want it to be so, therefore there's no denying that it's the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Next thing you know, blacks will want the right to vote. And women will want to go to university and become doctors, and maybe even hold political office. The horrors!

Actually, there was a story about someone being legally permitted to marry his goat (not in Canada) - with certain restrictions. If you go through old court cases in Canada (ie. local assizes) you'll see that beastality was a regular charge. More common than wife beating (which any feminist will tell you is very under-reported, especially was back then).

[quite]Sorry, but your argument sounds as fallacious as the one about how gay marriage was going to allow people to start marrying their dogs and chairs and such.
Change is not always for the better -- but the proponents invariably try and make it seem as such. There's already a strong belief in certain quarters that the planet is over-populated and some believe that drastic measures need to be taken to "solve" this problem. How long will it take for "doctor assisted suicide" is very specific circumstances evolves into "suicide is in the best interests of humanity". Probably not as long as you want to believe.

Quote:
Laws evolve and change as cultures and attitudes evolve and change.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:15 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I'm quite certain that state-sanctioned murder and other base human behaviours that people like you consider "progressive" pre-date Christianity by many, many thousands of years. So you tell me whose beliefs are the ones that are "ancient" and "antiquated"?
Isn't "murder" supposed to be against the will of the person who is dying? Just by throwing sensational words doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Murder. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law.

As you can see, whether it is murder or not is defined by the law. Murder is legal language. Without the law, the concept of murder doesn't exist.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,268 posts, read 6,597,679 times
Reputation: 14274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Hmmm, interesting. You want Canadians' voices to be heard, but if they happen to have a religious perspective, then they have no right to express it. Basically you just want the discussion to fit into your narrow atheistic (and apparently morally bankrupt) parameters.
A lying fool with an agenda makes up lies and puts false words into other people's mouthes as an excuse to attack and call them names. That is what you have just done in your post above. Made up lies about me, put false words in my mouth, attacked and called me names. Shame on you. Your god must be very proud of you.

I am happy for people to express themselves.

I don't think people should not have a right to express themselves. That is what YOU said, not me. Because apparently you either have a serious problem with reading comprehension or else you're a lying fool who puts false words into other people's mouthes to suit your own agenda.

I said that I hope people who express themselves on this matter will have the good sense to think for themselves and keep their thoughts about their gods out of it.

You've just demonstrated to me in more ways than one that you don't have what I call good sense, but being a fool is your right too.

Carry on but don't expect sensible people to afford you any credibility if you're going to make up lies about people.


.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,699,369 times
Reputation: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
A nonsense argument. We're talking about state-sanctioned suicide not gender or racial inequality.
The irony in some of the comments comparing religious opposition to euthanasia to the opposition of equal rights for blacks is that it was the religious community that fight and won to abolish slavery in the British Empire.

Jonah Goldberg has a good book called The Tyranny of Clichés that talks about how progressive leftists are the only group of people that don't realize they have an ideology. Those on the right like conservatives and libertarians as well as those on the far left like Communists and Socialists freely admit that they have an ideology, but there is a segment of the left that cannot see their own biases. This is the segment that believes they are so right that anyone with a dissenting voice should be forced to shut up.

This is why any criticism of Islam is met with "Islamophobe," and criticism of assisted suicide is met with "religious zealot" (even though you don't have to be religious to oppose euthanasia).
 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,549 posts, read 9,426,522 times
Reputation: 6717
Assisted insanity.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 PM
 
18,296 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Reputation: 13361
Jeez Louise; once again I'd like to remind people the supreme court of Canada has ruled that laws PREVENTING assisted suicide are unconstitutional.

You're leaping right over the ruling and arriving by riding a white unicorn or some other hypothetical to the 'state murder' accusation and using religious doctrine to do so. There will be no law crafted authorizing any such "assisted suicide" until a year's worth of careful consideration takes place and I hope religion is given short shrift in those discussions and the rights and welfare of the individual take precedence over superstition and doctrine.

Firstly the process requires initiating by the suffering individual; their 'rights' and welfare should take precedence to any of your scripture based nonsense that you've all selectively ignored parts of at your convenience for eons.

We're evolving in spite of religious zealotry stifling the rational and compassionate thought processes.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,699,369 times
Reputation: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We're evolving in spite of religious zealotry stifling the rational and compassionate thought processes.
You're the only who is trying to bring religion in the conversation. The Supreme court decision is akin to the Chilcotin land title decision that they made last year in that it is based more upon SJW mentality than the actual constitution.

http://www.ezralevant.com/doctors-ki...heir-patients/
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:03 PM
 
18,296 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Reputation: 13361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
You're the only who is trying to bring religion in the conversation. The Supreme court decision is akin to the Chilcotin land title decision that they made last year in that it is based more upon SJW mentality than the actual constitution.

Doctors killing their patients | Ezra Levant
Oh, am I now? I guess you just whooshed right over those posts from Ken S, eh?

We're not debating about the Supreme courts reasons for it's decision so why would it matter if you can read minds and assess their mentality versus interpretation of constitutional relevance?

Ezra just leaped right to the gov't doing the same thing as has been suggested on here. Did you notice how Ezra went to left wing vs right wing silliness? He too is forgetting this does not get initiated by the state but by the individual effected and suffering. No wonder the Sun is marginal, insignificant and diminishing as we watch. Notice how "euthanasia" has replaced "assisted suicide" in his and all of these nutbars hyperbole?

How many nefarious examples did Ezra postulate in that one diatribe before saying he wouldn't do so, without once referring to the individual demanding his right to a death without suffering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:23 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top