U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,200,981 times

Advertisements

Um, this is your prognostication in post #1 in the thread you started...

"Boy, heads are going to be exploding in the more theological based citizenry of some countries."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh, am I now? I guess you just whooshed right over those posts from Ken S, eh?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 AM

18,112 posts, read 10,300,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Um, this is your prognostication in post #1 in the thread [I]you started[/i]...

"Boy, heads are going to be exploding in the more theological based citizenry of some countries."
I'm glad you pointed that out!

My thread, my topic, my opinion ......and you debated the point making you a responder to the point of 'theologically' based resistance to the idea. Ergo;..... I'm not the only one,.... correct?

In hindsight I should merely have responded to Glacierx with that exact message ..."My thread"!

Any desire to prove me as being the only one bringing religion into the discussion of assisted suicide need have only no one else respond to achieve that....correct?

There may be many reasons to question the premise of "assisted suicides" but it is indeed ~ in MY OPINION ~ religious imperatives of any kind that should be totally ignored..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,206,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Assisted insanity.
legalization of euthanasia and abortion are both great ideas.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:54 AM

You think you "own" topics you start on public message forums and can dictate what can be posted...

Quote:
I'm glad you pointed that out!

My thread, my topic, my opinion ......and you debated the point making you a responder to the point of 'theologically' based resistance to the idea. Ergo;..... I'm not the only one,.... correct?

In hindsight I should merely have responded to Glacierx with that exact message ..."My thread"!

Any desire to prove me as being the only one bringing religion into the discussion of assisted suicide need have only no one else respond to achieve that....correct?

There may be many reasons to question the premise of "assisted suicides" but it is indeed ~ in MY OPINION ~ religious imperatives of any kind that should be totally ignored..

Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You think you "own" topics you start on public message forums and can dictate what can be posted...
Aaah, no; even limited reading comprehension would not have allowed attributing of that conclusion to what I posted.

Fallacious deflection seems to be the default modus-operendi for some.

This to and fro originated with someone stating I was the only one suggesting religion would enter the debate over "assisted suicide", did it not?

I'm not telling anyone they cannot post their opinion at all, I'm not saying you should not have posted your opinion, but that also does not stop me from rebutting the fallacy that religion as it applies to assisted suicide was, and is only being discussed by me alone,.....er...does it?

The poster I've responded to also implied, in that one accusation, that theological viewpoints had not been offered up at all by anyone else on the planet in reference to the topic of assisted suicide and the Supreme Court of Canada's decision. I suppose you would agree with that also?

Old 02-11-2015, 03:22 PM

No, you were accused of being the only one "trying to bring religion in the conversation" -- as in you're incorrectly making it seem that the only opposition to state-sanctioned suicide is from fringe evangelical Christian groups. In fact, the main opposition is from advocacy groups for the "disabled" and the medical profession itself. What we have here is a small group of unelected "supreme court" judges imposing a ruling that essentially makes all Canadians complicit in the "assisted suicide" of some of its citizens. The issue is much more complex than you're trying to make it out to be. In fact your simplistic argumentation makes me even more concerned about just how easily this ruling will snowball into something much more sinister -- sooner rather than later...

Quote:
Aaah, no; even limited reading comprehension would not have allowed attributing of that conclusion to what I posted.

Fallacious deflection seems to be the default modus-operendi for some.

This to and fro originated with someone stating I was the only one suggesting religion would enter the debate over "assisted suicide", did it not?

Old 02-11-2015, 03:33 PM

People can certainly consent to being murdered. There was a murder trial in the Waterloo region involving members of a satanic cult. Also, have you seen some of the Kavorkian tapes where the "patient" consented to assisted suicide but then resisted and then was forced to go through with it? If the human intellect was 100% of being deceived, manipulated, and coerced, then theoretically people might be able to make a fully rational decision to end their own lives on their own volition. But that's far from the case. Now we are going to have to go through a lengthy debate on what constitutes undeniable consent, and no doubt with time we are going to start to see cases of flagrant abuse. There are some notorious cases already of people using the medical profession as a cover for their own homicidal inclinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Isn't "murder" supposed to be against the will of the person who is dying? Just by throwing sensational words doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Murder. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law.

As you can see, whether it is murder or not is defined by the law. Murder is legal language. Without the law, the concept of murder doesn't exist.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
No, you were accused of being the only one "trying to bring religion in the conversation" -- as in you're incorrectly making it seem that the only opposition to state-sanctioned suicide is from fringe evangelical Christian groups. In fact, the main opposition is from advocacy groups for the "disabled" and the medical profession itself. What we have here is a small group of unelected "supreme court" judges imposing a ruling that essentially makes all Canadians complicit in the "assisted suicide" of some of its citizens. The issue is much more complex than you're trying to make it out to be. In fact your simplistic argumentation makes me even more concerned about just how easily this ruling will snowball into something much more sinister -- sooner rather than later...

There ya go again. Another fallacy attributed to my O/P.

My post for recap was:

and: " Long overdue and it will finally force discussion in Parliament whereupon the majority of population's feelings about this issue may be eventually heard."

I have done no such thing as suggesting religion based argumentation from fringe groups would be the ONLY argumentation against assisted suicide.

Now what part of those two sentences suggest that the only argumentation against the law being struck down by the Supreme Court would be from theologians?

My post was/is intended to point out that those countries citizens known for their theological resistance to forward thinking will be stridently heard from on this issue.

I do not feel in the least complicit with a Supreme Court ruling "preventing" something from happening. I will not feel complicit if indeed the government proposes new legislation governing the situations by which assisted suicide is provided. I will also not feel complicit when individuals exercise there right to seek assisted suicide to end suffering of both themselves and their loved ones to achieve a compassionate death with dignity.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

12,506 posts, read 8,668,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Assisted insanity.
Insanity? No. Compassion. Yes.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:13 PM

I don't doubt that you don't - many people will go to great and contradictory and morally bankrupt lengths to divest themselves of any sense of guilt or responsibility. Unfortunately, individuals "exercis[ing] their right" to do X sometimes reflects poorly on a society in general and leads to other issues in which individual rights are negated. An example would be ritualistic suicide in Japan. Another would be polygamy. Was it you who stated that "things change"? What makes you think that the very strict criteria won't begin to broaden? How do you know that in 50 or 100 it won't result in a Logan's Run kind of society where anyone who is undesireable is eliminated? An issue such as this should not have been left to the so-called supreme court. It is one of the few issues in recent decades that truly should be put to a referendum.

Quote:
I do not feel in the least complicit with a Supreme Court ruling "preventing" something from happening. I will not feel complicit if indeed the government proposes new legislation governing the situations by which assisted suicide is provided. I will also not feel complicit when individuals exercise there right to seek assisted suicide to end suffering of both themselves and their loved ones to achieve a compassionate death with dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies