U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: prez with most guts?
Harry Truman 5 10.20%
Dwight Eisenhower 2 4.08%
JFK 13 26.53%
LBJ 3 6.12%
Nixon 1 2.04%
Ford 0 0%
Carter 2 4.08%
Reagan 15 30.61%
HW Bush 1 2.04%
Bill Clinon 0 0%
W Bush 3 6.12%
Barack Obama 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:51 AM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times

Advertisements

Johnson. Not every popular, but he was willing to put his presidency on the line to get the civil rights legislation passed. No one since has come close to that.

Truman is a close second for dropping the bomb and canning MacArthur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Status: "Slow internet today must be the Russians" (set 6 hours ago)

5,476 posts, read 3,204,109 times
Nixon B-52 bombing campaign to force the North back to the negotiation table ending LBJ's war and opening the Far Eastern Iron Curtain of China...His biggest is lying to the American people thus tarnishing the POTUS brand even though their were crooks before him that just didn't get caught...

Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 AM

29,596 posts, read 16,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Johnson. Not every popular, but he was willing to put his presidency on the line to get the civil rights legislation passed. No one since has come close to that.

Truman is a close second for dropping the bomb and canning MacArthur.
Curious in that before his presidency LBJ stymied any civil rights legislation he could, but upon his presidency suddenly decided the "time was right". He was eyeballing reelection, not looking to right any wrongs.
Truman with a pen and against the advice of many of his military advisors, "dropped the bomb" thus incinerating thousands of women, children and innocent non-combatants along with some American and allied POW's.
Hardly an example of sheer guts.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 AM

22,391 posts, read 11,528,544 times
HW Bush, fighter pilot and of course we all know about JFK.

It does not take much guts to be a president. It ain't like their decisions put their lives on the line.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:13 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,208,110 times
LBJ doing great society, immigration reform, civil rights and Vietnam all at once most have taken a lot of political courage, I don't know of anyone who comes close.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 AM

58,056 posts, read 40,812,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
LBJ doing great society, immigration reform, civil rights and Vietnam all at once most have taken a lot of political courage, I don't know of anyone who comes close.
Yeah, a real courageous man putting others' lives on the line to preserve his image of being tough on COMMUNISM! .

Old 02-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, a real courageous man putting others' lives on the line to preserve his image of being tough on COMMUNISM! .
He actually was tough on communism. He didn't just fight it in Vietnam, but also in the Dominican Republic as well. Whether or not you agree with it he was willing to face down his own party to do what he thought was right in Vietnam.

Honestly though I think the most effective anti-communist presidents were Nixon and Truman. Truman because of the Marshall plan and securing Western and Southern Europe as well as stopping the spread of Communism in Northeast Asia, and Nixon because of his rapprochement with China and for stopping the spread of Communism in the Middle East.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:37 AM

58,056 posts, read 40,812,327 times
Quote:
He actually was tough on communism. He didn't just fight it in Vietnam, but also in the Dominican Republic as well. Whether or not you agree with it he was willing to face down his own party to do what he thought was right in Vietnam.
Not long ago Sixty Minutes played a recorded conversation between LBJ and McGeorge Bundy, at the time even LBJ was very doubtful Vietnam was the right move yet he went anyway so NO, I will NEVER agree with his decision.

Quote:
Honestly though I think the most effective anti-communist presidents were Nixon and Truman. Truman because of the Marshall plan and securing Western and Southern Europe as well as stopping the spread of Communism in Northeast Asia, and Nixon because of his rapprochement with China and for stopping the spread of Communism in the Middle East.
Nixon bears his own blame for needlessly prolonging the Vietnam War. What I've never heard a lucid explanation of is given the combined land masses/populations of the USSR and China at the time is just HOW South Vietnam going COMMUNIST! represented any kind of real threat. And NO, the ill-conceived 'Domino Theory' is not a lucid explanation. I believe the US suffered more at the hands of the witch-hunters than it ever did from COMMUNISTS! .

Last edited by burdell; 02-08-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 AM

62,647 posts, read 34,149,323 times
Reagan had the guts to sell weapons to Iran and traffic cocaine although he knew it could get him impeached.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nixon bears his own blame for needlessly prolonging the Vietnam War. What I've never heard a lucid explanation of is given the combined land masses/populations of the USSR and China at the time is just HOW South Vietnam going COMMUNIST! represented any kind of real threat. And NO, the ill-conceived 'Domino Theory' is not a lucid explanation. I believe the US suffered more at the hands of the witch-hunters than it ever did from COMMUNISTS! .
I never said I agreed with Johnson or thought that Vietnam was right if you want to talk about the Domino theory that is another thread. In fact in terms of effectiveness at fighting communism I would rank him somewhere, below Reagan and JFK who I think were mediocre, but above Carter and Ford who were terrible at it probably he and Eisenhower were about at the same place. With that said right or wrong, my understanding is that this thread is about guts and not prudence or foresight, he took on his own left and his own right at the same time for issues he supported which cannot be said of almost anyone else.

As to witch hunters I agree they did substantial damage to America and our fundamental principles and I know Nixon was one of them when he was in Congress, but overall as far as presidential foreign policy goes I think Nixon did a good job especially in the Middle East and China. He and Kissinger were brilliant at exploiting the Sino-Soviet split and the Arab-Israeli conflict to totally isolate the Soviet Union in large chunks of Asia.

Last edited by Egbert; 02-08-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies