U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: prez with most guts?
Harry Truman 5 10.20%
Dwight Eisenhower 2 4.08%
JFK 13 26.53%
LBJ 3 6.12%
Nixon 1 2.04%
Ford 0 0%
Carter 2 4.08%
Reagan 15 30.61%
HW Bush 1 2.04%
Bill Clinon 0 0%
W Bush 3 6.12%
Barack Obama 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:32 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,278,333 times

Advertisements

Which president has had the most sheer guts in modern times? Andrew Jackson and G. Washington would have to be at the top overall, but let us limit the discussion to recent vintage.

Harry Truman made the decision to pull the trigger on the atom bomb, ending WWII. Ike was doubtless a great prez but did not have to make a tough call like that. JFK had the Cuban Missile Crisis and Bay of Pigs. Tough shots to call.... LBJ had the Civil Rights Act of '64. IMO it was more of a political calculus than a tough call. Gerald Ford's pardon of Nixon? Again, political calculus. Jimmy Carter? Ronald Reagan faced down Andropov and the Soviets and won. HW Bush was a war hero who never lacked for courage. Bill Clinton--he had to dodge ashtrays thrown by Hillary. W Bush--he had to call the shot on Iraq. Obama? He had to switch from Newports to Nicorette or face the wrath of liberaldom and of the beautiful Michelle.

What president had the most sheer guts?

Last edited by wutitiz; 02-07-2015 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:02 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,369,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Which president has had the most sheer guts in modern times?
I would say MR. KENNEDY .. WHich is why they took care of him

God bless you JFK!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,679,999 times
Bush "had" to make the call on Iraq? While his efforts protecting Alabama from the Vietcong were admirable, his idiotic decision to invade Iraq was not. He wasn't forced to invade either.

When you're the POTUS, you don't get extra points for making tough decisions. That comes with the turf. You only get credit for the right ones.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 PM

9,832 posts, read 5,849,630 times
As a conservative the natural reaction would have been to say Reagan. I have to say Kennedy though. He made some really tough calls in his limited tenure.. Kennedy was a true Democrat. Unlike the moonbat liberals of today.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:15 AM

18,677 posts, read 17,075,025 times
Truman. While JFK had the Bay of Pigs, regarding Civil Rights, IMO he lacked guts. He left the heavy lifting for LBJ, and IMO RFK would have had the guts to deal both with that issue and the Bay of Pigs, if in that role.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:21 AM

9,832 posts, read 5,849,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Truman. While JFK had the Bay of Pigs, regarding Civil Rights, IMO he lacked guts. He left the heavy lifting for LBJ, and IMO RFK would have had the guts to deal both with that issue and the Bay of Pigs, if in that role.
In the Cuban missile crisis, Kennedy didn't blink. That took a huge set of stones. Khrushchev was ranting and threatening to bury the US, but Kennedy stood firm.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:24 AM

35,271 posts, read 19,307,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

What president had the most sheer guts?

Eisenhower

Inform yourselves about how he handled the Cold War and kept the USSR on ice. There would be no Cuban missile crisis on his watch. No Berlin wall. He wouldn't have tolerated that crap from (referring to Kruschev) "That little pig-faced b*stard."

"Evan Thomas has written an insightful and penetrating study of my father, Dwight D. Eisenhower. Dad was a hard man to know; he played it close to the chest. So despite my extensive exposure to him throughout forty six years, I still found myself learning new aspects, some of which, I must admit, are a bit painful. But the balance that Thomas achieves between Eisenhower the public servant and Eisenhower the man is, in my opinion, as close to the mark as we are likely to see."John Eisenhower

Amazon.com: Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World (9780316091039): Evan Thomas: Books

He must have been one helluva poker player, too.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:40 AM

66,547 posts, read 33,809,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As a conservative the natural reaction would have been to say Reagan. I have to say Kennedy though. He made some really tough calls in his limited tenure.. Kennedy was a true Democrat. Unlike the moonbat liberals of today.

JFK was actually more conservative, than any republican President to succeed him.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:41 AM

6,580 posts, read 2,798,379 times
What does "guts" mean in this context? Does guts mean engaging in reckless behavior? If it does, then Nixon, JFK and W. are in a three way tie. Does guts mean going back on your campaign promises? Then GHW Bush may top the list. Does guts mean starting a war on fabrications? W. the undisputed leader. Does guts mean moving the country forward on public policy issues when public opinion is at that time against you? LBJ and Obama would take the lead on that basis. Does guts mean telling the country the truth in a national speech at great political peril? Jimmy Carter hands down the winner.

The OP is too ill defined to have one answer.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:43 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,153,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What does "guts" mean in this context? Does guts mean engaging in reckless behavior? If it does, then JFK and W. are in a two way tie. Does guts mean going back on your campaign promises? Then GHW Bush may top the list. Does guts mean starting a war on fabrications? W. the undisputed leader. Does guts mean moving the country forward on a public policy issues when public opinion is at that time against you? LBJ and Obama would take the lead on that basis. Does guts mean telling the country the truth in a national speech at great political peril? Jimmy Carter hands down the winner.

The OP is too ill defined to have one answer.
I define guts as engaging in criminal activity while in the White House, so I'm going to give up for my man Nixon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies