U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 AM

8,874 posts, read 5,017,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I see, another troll poster. Time to move on.
who gave you the power to decide if its a troll post, I really see whats she saying. do you approve of rapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:07 AM

14,488 posts, read 8,338,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Now I realize that in theory rape is considered one of the worst crimes one can commit, but in practice why are the "sentences" rapists get almost always a complete joke? I follow criminal cases online of all sorts of things and time after time after time convicted rapists may get 1 or even 2 years in prison if the woman that has been raped is lucky. Is it any wonder that rape is so common in America when rapists get off with a slap on the wrist? Again, someone caught with weed routinely get sent to the slammer for decades yet traumatizing a woman very likely for life apparently most judges don't see as that big a deal get off with just a few years if that.

So why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not buying that figure. Convicted rapists in American typically get way more prison time than that. What I do believe is that rapists in other Democratic countries on Europe and Canada often get lighter sentences than in the US, but still, even they get more than 1-2 years.
Quote:
Care to link to some articles of men in the US getting harsh sentences for rape?
You first. You started this thread, after all. Your hypothesis is that American rapists get 1-2 year sentences (or at least minor sentences), so back it up with evidence. If you do so, I'll be happy to counteract that. I checked the entire thread and all I found from you are links RE: harsh marijuana sentences, not rape sentences. True crime and psychology is an interest of mine. I'm waiting. . .

Old 02-08-2015, 09:26 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,752,632 times
Probably due to the plea bargain system we have here. If everyone chose their day in court, we would be so backlogged. So prosecutors threaten to throw the book at the accused and then after wrangling between lawyers a plea agreement is met. This sux for the victims, AND for the wrongfully accused who are often scared into taking a deal, rather than taking it to trial, cos if fojnd guilty, they could get decades for something they didn't do.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:28 AM

4,987 posts, read 2,646,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
..... I also believe most drug felons should be put to death too
Move to Bangladesh.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,752,632 times
Quote:
Oh give me a break! The amount of men raped is MINISCULE compared to the amount of women raped.
Really!?! Women have support, and safe houses, and all manner of groups they can go to when they are abused and raped. Men, yeah...not so much.
In my town we have a group called WOMEN in Need. They have a shelter and provide support to victims of assault sexual and non. If a man calls their group, they get a few nights in a motel maybe, and a scripted response about limited resources.
The fact of the matter is, men most times don't talk abou4 being abused or raped.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,219,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You first. You started this thread, after all. Your hypothesis is that American rapists get 1-2 year sentences (or at least minor sentences), so back it up with evidence. If you do so, I'll be happy to counteract that. I checked the entire thread and all I found from you are links RE: harsh marijuana sentences, not rape sentences. True crime and psychology is an interest of mine. I'm waiting. . .
Alabama man sentenced to counseling, probation for repeatedly raping teen neighbor ? RT USA

Alabama man sentenced to counseling, probation for repeatedly raping teen neighbor

Alabama Man Won't Serve Prison Time for Raping 14-Year-Old | Mother Jones

Alabama Man Won't Serve Prison Time for Raping 14-Year-Old

Montana man serves 30-day sentence for rape of 14-year-old girl | US news | The Guardian

Montana man serves 30-day sentence for rape of 14-year-old girl

More than 150 rapists freed early from prison went on to rape again | Daily Mail Online

More than 150 rapists freed early from prison went on to rape again

Officer Who Handcuffed & Raped Teen in “Explorer Program” Gets Insultingly Low Sentence | The Free Thought Project

Officer Who Handcuffed & Raped Teen in “Explorer Program” Gets Insultingly Low Sentence

Paedophiles getting short sentences for child rape - News - The Copenhagen Post

Paedophiles getting short sentences for child rape

Texas judge lightly sentences admitted rapist, implies victim was promiscuous - NY Daily News

Texas judge lightly sentences admitted rapist, says 14-year-old he assaulted not ‘the victim she claimed to be'

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/more-...nt?oid=4421323

More punishment for robbery than for rape

Holy Crap the Central Park Rape Suspect is Terrifying

Don't tell me judges aren't sexist pieces of **** because they most definitely are and as men don't give a **** what happens to women, otherwise these little boys with their little wee wees would at most be executed and at least be sentenced to many decades in prison! F'n sub-human animal men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Really!?! Women have support, and safe houses, and all manner of groups they can go to when they are abused and raped. Men, yeah...not so much.
In my town we have a group called WOMEN in Need. They have a shelter and provide support to victims of assault sexual and non. If a man calls their group, they get a few nights in a motel maybe, and a scripted response about limited resources.
The fact of the matter is, men most times don't talk abou4 being abused or raped.
Oh give me an f'n break! Men don't need these ANYWHERE NEAR what women need them! Perhaps if men actually started to understand the concepts of empathy/sympathy they wouldn't feel the need to abuse their wives/gfs and abandon their children all the god damn time!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,927,315 times
Quote:
Alabama man sentenced to counseling, probation for repeatedly raping teen neighbor ? RT USA

Alabama man sentenced to counseling, probation for repeatedly raping teen neighbor

Alabama Man Won't Serve Prison Time for Raping 14-Year-Old | Mother Jones

Alabama Man Won't Serve Prison Time for Raping 14-Year-Old

Montana man serves 30-day sentence for rape of 14-year-old girl | US news | The Guardian

Montana man serves 30-day sentence for rape of 14-year-old girl

More than 150 rapists freed early from prison went on to rape again | Daily Mail Online

More than 150 rapists freed early from prison went on to rape again

Officer Who Handcuffed & Raped Teen in “Explorer Program” Gets Insultingly Low Sentence | The Free Thought Project

Officer Who Handcuffed & Raped Teen in “Explorer Program” Gets Insultingly Low Sentence

Paedophiles getting short sentences for child rape - News - The Copenhagen Post

Paedophiles getting short sentences for child rape

Texas judge lightly sentences admitted rapist, implies victim was promiscuous - NY Daily News

Texas judge lightly sentences admitted rapist, says 14-year-old he assaulted not ‘the victim she claimed to be'

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/more-...nt?oid=4421323

More punishment for robbery than for rape

Don't tell me judges aren't sexist pieces of **** because they most definitely are and as men don't give a **** what happens to women, otherwise these little boys with their little wee wees would at most be executed and at least be sentenced to many decades in prison! F'n sub-human animal men!

Oh give me an f'n break! Men don't need these ANYWHERE NEAR what women need them! Perhaps if men actually started to understand the concepts of empathy/sympathy they wouldn't feel the need to abuse their wives/gfs and abandon their children all the god damn time!
You're going too far with your attacks on men. SOME of us ARE low lifes, NOT all. Too; would YOU feel that women judges need to be raped IF they let off female child molesters, I'm talking about adult women abusing little kids here, NOT some lady getting banged by an adult looking dude whose 15 years or older.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 AM

16,999 posts, read 13,561,599 times
Quote:
EXACTLY!! The fact the upon conviction they aren't IMMEDIATELY taken out back, have their clothes removed then spend a few hours with a pole being shoved up their ass for a few hours than given a bullet to the back of the head is INSANE!
You sound like a rapist yourself.

Always interesting to see how sick a person can become with a bit of power.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:06 PM

62,431 posts, read 34,042,329 times
Quote:
Now I realize that in theory rape is considered one of the worst crimes one can commit, but in practice why are the "sentences" rapists get almost always a complete joke? I follow criminal cases online of all sorts of things and time after time after time convicted rapists may get 1 or even 2 years in prison if the woman that has been raped is lucky. People caught with pot get WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY harsher sentences even despite the fact it's nowhere NEAR as bad as rape which traumatizes women for years, plenty for their whole lives with PTSD.

Maybe it's harsher in other countries, but in the U.S of A if you rape a woman you certainly don't have to worry about getting punished that badly for it even despite the magnitude of the crime. There was a case awhile back where a rapist only got 30 days in jail and some community service, W....T...F????

Do we just have some very pig headed sexist ***** for judges that think rape is just not the big a deal and don't give a **** about women? If their own daughters were raped do you think they'd give anymore of a ****? There is NO reason why a convicted rapist shouldn't be doing AT LEAST 20 years for it (with hopefully some prison rape thrown in for good measure). Is it any wonder that rape is so common in America when rapists get off with a slap on the wrist? Again, someone caught with weed routinely get sent to the slammer for decades yet traumatizing a woman very likely for life apparently most judges don't see as that big a deal get off with just a few years if that.

So why is that?
Average sentence for rape is 3 years. Pot possession is misdemeanor, and 1st times typically get away with a fine.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 PM

10,901 posts, read 4,784,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
You think staying in prison for 5 years is not horrible? 5 years being isolated from society is enough to change a person's life forever in a negative way. And then what happens when the person gets released and realizes he/she can no longer live a normal life?
He goes out and rapes more people, that's what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies