Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 10:47 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Why should we pretend right-wing claims of data falsification are true when they've shown their opinions are based on worthless garbage?
They're not stating opinions. They're exposing the facts of falsified data.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:04 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The premise of this this thread is simply not true. Global warming is no longer a question of belief or opinion, it is a scientific fact, observable, measurable and verifiable. It would not be possible to "fiddle" with the figures. The evidence of global warming, and its links to human activity, has been established by research and experimentation results collected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) based on over seven million observations of temperature, salinity and other variables in the world’s oceans; and that has definitively ruled out natural climate variations due solar activity, volcanic eruptions, photosynthesis, etc. as the cause of measurable increase in ocean temperature, which has risen 0.9F in just the past 40 years. (The same findings were made in a long-range study in Britain.) Even the Pentagon has for over a decade acknowledged the fact of global warming and the threat of climate change on national security interests. See Peter Schwartz and Doug Randall, "An Abrupt Climate Change Scenario and Its Implications for United States National Security" (October 2003). In face of the scientific evidence, which has been independently verified, to say that there is any doubt about it is no longer tenable.
All of the above is still only theory and not fact. Its all very definite maybe no matter how many fools sign on.
To arrogantly say its not the sun or any other natural force is the height of stupidity.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:06 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Yes. To a denialist, "science" means automatically believing anything that parrots the talking points of Republican frauds like James Inhofe and automatically declaring all else to be fraud. To attempt to reason with such people is foolish, because such people are fools.
Absolutely correct, those denialists who deny science about the fact it hasn't warmed in over 18 years are fools.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:24 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
Dear Mr. T-310:

I'm not going to agrue with you about the facts; there's no arguing with the facts. As I stated in my post, supra, the fact of global warming is based on scientific evidence. While I am not attempting to convince you of the facts, I ask only that you watch this short video about the melting ice and come to your own conclusions: James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Talk Video | TED.com

Thank you,
Wendell Phillips

Old 02-11-2015, 11:50 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Look. There's no guarantees of a warmer planet will be more beneficial. You've already been shown in an informal forum whose main subject is nowhere close to science the many holes in your "warmer is better" theory.
OK let us look at some holes in the underlying "science" of global warming nuts.

Placebo effect. Placebo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect." In the study quoted they found that CO2 was harmful to plants in the field at elevated concentrations. This very likely matched the belief of the people doing the research. Did the plants respond to the belief of the researchers or the CO2?

Changing the numbers to fit the expected result.

The cure has remained the same as the problem has shifted from coming ice age to too much heat, 1970's until now.

I just want a stable environment. A stable climate. The presence of ice provides a positive feed back loop, that tends to destabilize the environment. Heat it up and that feedback loop will go away.

Rule out the placebo effect in the plant CO2 research and then we can have a meaningful discussion.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:10 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
No. It has nothing to do with the "Placebo Effect" - it has to do with the "Mpemba Effect".

Old 02-11-2015, 12:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Dear Mr. T-310:

I'm not going to agrue with you about the facts; there's no arguing with the facts. As I stated in my post, supra, the fact of global warming is based on scientific evidence. While I am not attempting to convince you of the facts, I ask only that you watch this short video about the melting ice and come to your own conclusions: James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Talk Video | TED.com

Thank you,
Wendell Phillips
yes ..global warming has been happening....for the last 15000 year since the last main ice age...and its all natural baby

there is not one scientist out there that will tell you its man-made 100%...or even 75%...or even 50%

mans contribution is less than 10%

the warming...and the cooling that WILL HAPPEN , are natural cycles

Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
The premise of this this thread is simply not true. Global warming is no longer a question of belief or opinion, it is a scientific fact, observable, measurable and verifiable. It would not be possible to "fiddle" with the figures. The evidence of global warming, and its links to human activity, has been established by research and experimentation results collected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) based on over seven million observations of temperature, salinity and other variables in the world’s oceans; and that has definitively ruled out natural climate variations due solar activity, volcanic eruptions, photosynthesis, etc. as the cause of measurable increase in ocean temperature, which has risen 0.9F in just the past 40 years. (The same findings were made in a long-range study in Britain.) Even the Pentagon has for over a decade acknowledged the fact of global warming and the threat of climate change on national security interests. See Peter Schwartz and Doug Randall, "An Abrupt Climate Change Scenario and Its Implications for United States National Security" (October 2003). In face of the scientific evidence, which has been independently verified, to say that there is any doubt about it is no longer tenable.
you, like all other AGW acolytes, are completely deluded in your thinking. you have all decided the science is settled because one of your progressive heros said so, so you have made up your minds and refuse to budge despite the whole raft of evidence that you are wrong.

the reality is that science is NEVER "settled" as there is always ongoing research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes ..global warming has been happening....for the last 15000 year since the last main ice age...and its all natural baby

there is not one scientist out there that will tell you its man-made 100%...or even 75%...or even 50%

mans contribution is less than 10%

the warming...and the cooling that WILL HAPPEN , are natural cycles
exactly right!! the problem with the AGW alarmists is that they forget that the planet has been warming for 15,000 years +/- a few decades, ever since we came out of the last glaciation period.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:55 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually botanists are...and they will tell you the optimum co2 ppm for plants is 900-1500ppm

as the globe warms it will provide MORE food, better farming, longer growing seasons, less need for irrigation...our deserts are already starting to green, because of the natural warming trend

as to the 7 billion
if you are over 45 you've seen the WORLDS population double in your life time

with 7 billion, we need warmer

why are the liberals wishing for ice ages again, with their FIGHT against warming???
If you took the time to read the study I linked to, you would realize that in a warming world additional CO2 will retard plant growth, not enhance it....

Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you took the time to read the study I linked to, you would realize that in a warming world additional CO2 will retard plant growth, not enhance it....
And my point is that the placebo effect could explain the result rather than the effects of CO2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies