Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
The flaw here is that you make it sound as if ANYONE with needs will receive this benefit. You know and I know that that is not possible. So, while the lucky few get this opportunity, most others will accumulate debt galore if they attend those schools. It is the reality of it.
The reality is that yes, based on criteria set by the universities (income/assets) the few that are admitted to these universities (they do have very low acceptance rates and only the very best are accepted) are eligible if they meet the criteria.

Last edited by Weichert; 02-18-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:28 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think some is lazyness, the rest is luck. Now yes, you can create luck (connections) but others aren't. If your company goes under with no warning signs or even department, there can be problems finding work and that's not all on you. If your company is bought out even though you yourself and your department are doing good, that don't insure you will have a job after restructuring from the acquisition. Now if you are a good producer you SHOULD be able to get a job elsewhere but that isn't a sure thing even if the ink is dry on the contract.

As for the needs, I'd argue that Netflix and Uverse are wants. One can get a Roku for 50 and find lots of free programming on it. Pay 20-5 you can get a digital antenna and free programming including broadcast stations. The internet, I'd argue is more of a need. I've been in my library and typically see one or two open seats and that is about 15-20 minutes out from me. If I didn't have internet, I'd likely miss job emails whether it is openings, interview offers, etc. Not all companies call you for interviews.
I do agree that laziness can play a factor with some people. I never laziness wasn't an issue. It isn't the whole reason.

My father, a man with a master's degree, was laid off a few times in his career as an engineer. He has work now. However, like you said, anything can happen. Things can happen to anyone. You can get injured to the point of not working again.

Sometimes knowing people isn't enough. I've tried getting jobs through people I knew. It only worked maybe a few times. Most of the time it didn't work. I've put in my resume and a cover letter for alot of jobs, and never got a call back. Sometimes I've received emails stating that I wasn't what they were looking for.

The internet at one time was a luxury. Now it is a need, because that is how alot of jobs are found, and applied to. My point to said person was this. If you have internet in your home, and a working computer, that is a good thing. UVerse isn't a need. I don't even need Roku. Youtube will do just fine. Youtube is used more by adults than cable is these days. Anyone who have UVerse and Netflix should not be talking about how much they are "struggling" and then turn around on talk down on others for being in a worse position. If one has "UVerse" and is struggling, get rid of UVerse.

I agree that if you're lazy, of course you will have problems. And there are examples of this. This said, to blame EVERYTHING on laziness is disingenuous. Many times, there are people who really do try, and aren't doing that well. Sometimes people are doing well and bad things happen. It's happened in my family.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Really?

I'm not saying it is impossible to get a job. I'm saying calling people lazy for not having a job is making a very disingenuous assumption. Prove that laziness it the reason. Better yet, there are other things I can mention in addition to laziness.

Just because there are jobs doesn't mean everyone is considered to be qualified for those jobs. Many people don't get hired because they aren't what the employer wants. Many don't get hired because of reasons including: they don't fit in with the company dynamic, overqualified, underqualified, prison record, too much competition with someone else.

Evidence of a job existing does not constitute the guarantee that you will get that job.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If you're forcing someone to bring offspring into the world, you'd better be willing to pay to support them if the parents can't.
Who is forcing anybody to have a child? Not me. Last time I checked, having unprotected sex was a CHOICE.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM

319 posts, read 303,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Who is forcing anybody to have a child? Not me. Last time I checked, having unprotected sex was a CHOICE.
I think he's making a reference to child tax credits. We seriously need to axe those.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:54 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
But here's the thing, you voted people into office in your state who put up abortion law and made it harder to actually get one. You also voted in people that cut off contraceptive help for welfare recipients. Granted the pill isn't 100% effective, but it is covered under contraceptives for welfare recipients and does work. As for if abstinence works, it does until you have sex.
Maybe if liberals stopped enabling these people we could get somewhere. Like holding them accountable for their own actions instead of just bailing them out.

Here's an idea. One irresponsible pregnancy gets you one year in prison to be served when that child turns 18. Or you figure out a way to pay the State back for the welfare money.

Or make damn sure you don't get pregnant.

Or just don't have sex and use that time learning work skills and doing classes.

Seems like there are many choices in life.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Maybe if liberals stopped enabling these people we could get somewhere. Like holding them accountable for their own actions instead of just bailing them out.

Here's an idea. One irresponsible pregnancy gets you one year in prison to be served when that child turns 18. Or you figure out a way to pay the State back for the welfare money.

Or make damn sure you don't get pregnant.

Or just don't have sex and use that time learning work skills and doing classes.

Seems like there are many choices in life.
That wont work. Say I had been in school and met a girlfriend two years younger than me and graduated with a decent job and got her pregnant junior year. By the time of birth I lost my job and she had to stop school with three semesters to go. At the time of conception it was a birth that you wouldn't complain about by birth it would because I couldn't foresee losing my job and now can't find work.

To me this is the problem. For everyone that "takes advantage of the system" there's a family who planned properly and still required welfare for family needs when they lost their job and despite their best efforts can't find a job good enough to provide for their families. So much for "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Old 02-18-2015, 05:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Depending on where you live, your state is if you voted to cut contraception or abortion coverage under welfare by voting for state politicians who did cut contraception and abortion. I haven't changed the message no matter how many times I've repeated this.

Last edited by mkpunk; 02-18-2015 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Added and clarified.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
To me this is the problem. For everyone that "takes advantage of the system" there's a family who planned properly and still required welfare for family needs when they lost their job and despite their best efforts can't find a job good enough to provide for their families. So much for "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."
If you had a kid before you could afford it, you didn't plan properly.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Depending on where you live, your state is if you voted to cut contraception or abortion coverage under welfare by voting for state politicians who did cut contraception and abortion. I haven't changed the message no matter how many times I've repeated this.
If you can't afford a condom, don't have sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies