U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 AM

1,372 posts, read 803,348 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4us2IjNFNKY

Texans: Do you agree? Would you allow sharia law to be instituted in Texas? Thanks for your replies!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:23 AM

587 posts, read 800,587 times
If Muslims come to Texas they will have to convert to the prevailing religion. Football.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:14 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,131,010 times
Lol

Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 AM

3,367 posts, read 6,566,503 times
Not worried at all about that. It's not what you think. Texas was and could once again become it's own independent nation. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Quote:
Judge Napolitano, an RPI Board Member, points out that there are religious courts for all religions all across the world, Roman Catholic, Orthodox Jew, Presbyterian, Methodist, Muslim. "The people who appear before those courts are looking for the resolution of a dispute that at its core is integral to their religion and they are there voluntarily," he explained.

Although the Judge sees aspects of Sharia law as "repugnant" and says it could never be enforced in toto by the US government, there are those in, for example, custody disputes who would rather allow a mutually agreed upon religious panel rather than a US judge settle their differences.
http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...-law-in-texas/

Old 02-09-2015, 07:38 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,560,751 times
H... no to Sharia Law. Do you know what it involves?!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 AM

12,730 posts, read 28,716,326 times
^^That.

Basically, a Catholic church could decide that someone could not remarry (in the church) because the church does not recognize divorce. You could then go down the street and get married at the JOP.

Similarly, if the a church 'court' said you need to give your neighbor 5 goats because you said his wife was ugly, you could agree to the 'sentence' voluntarily.

If some religious 'court' said you would be stone to death for adultery, that is another issue - you again would most likely say "uh, no" and walk down the street and just keep going. If the 'sentence' was carried out (presumably against your will), it is still murder under the U.S. legal system.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 AM

12,070 posts, read 12,400,959 times
My niece is visiting from Texas and she said some things about the state that I find hard to believe. Do Texans really have to register their guns? Is open carry really illegal in Texas? Is it really illegal to carry a sword in Texas? My immediate response is that this stuff can't be true. Is it?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:09 AM

10,803 posts, read 8,014,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My niece is visiting from Texas and she said some things about the state that I find hard to believe. Do Texans really have to register their guns? NO Is open carry really illegal in Texas? YES, for the most part Is it really illegal to carry a sword in Texas? No idea My immediate response is that this stuff can't be true. Is it?
Texas Gun Laws - Our Texas Gun Laws made Simple! has some good information.

edit to add: http://www.knifeup.com/texas-knife-laws/ provides the answer about the sword; according to that site, a sword is considered an "illegal knife" and there are laws regulating those.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,877,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My niece is visiting from Texas and she said some things about the state that I find hard to believe. Do Texans really have to register their guns? Is open carry really illegal in Texas? Is it really illegal to carry a sword in Texas? My immediate response is that this stuff can't be true. Is it?
The horror of having to register your deadly weapons and not being able to overcompensate for....something...by carrying a gun around openly. However will you live with such restrictions? Might as well end it all now if you can't walk around showing off your gun, right?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,462,225 times
In Texas it is allowed for consenting parties to settle 'disputes' through Shari'a. In no circumstance is Shari'a allowed to interfere or contradict any established local, state or federal law or deprive a citizen of natural or legal rights and/or privileges. Much of something like what you might see on Judge Judy. Or your online agreement with 'Google' that any disputes will be settled in a state court of Google's designation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies