U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Midwest
30,874 posts, read 19,422,596 times
Reputation: 7661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Read federalist 41. That will spell it all out for you very simply. I won't post it here as it is too lengthy.
You don't have to post it. Just post the types of things, from it, that in your opinion it covers.

BTW, you do realize that a lot has changed since 1788 and a lot of amendments have taken place to the constitution, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,833 posts, read 5,813,227 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You don't have to post it. Just post the types of things, from it, that in your opinion it covers.

BTW, you do realize that a lot has changed since 1788 and a lot of amendments have taken place to the constitution, don't you?
I do realize a lot has changed and I also realize that our constitution has been basterdized by many of the changes made. There have been some good changes in regards to the abolition of slavery etc but much has been changed only to the benefit of government. This includes Roosevelt in 1937.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 AM
 
4,987 posts, read 2,645,366 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
No single individual or Company should benefit from taxes.
Why do you hate the poor? Why do you hate single moms? Why do you hate the children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM
 
4,987 posts, read 2,645,366 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
General welfare as intended by the constitution does not include all of the spending that we currently allow our government to do. Again, you are painting with a very wide brush.
According the the government and the judges they appoint it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Midwest
30,874 posts, read 19,422,596 times
Reputation: 7661
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I do realize a lot has changed and I also realize that our constitution has been basterdized by many of the changes made. There have been some good changes in regards to the abolition of slavery etc but much has been changed only to the benefit of government. This includes Roosevelt in 1937.
But not the statement: "to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts, and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States,"

That has been in the constitution from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
 
28,893 posts, read 15,207,058 times
Reputation: 19727
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Kids are sent home from school on Fridays with food to last them the weekend....
Does anybody else find it odd that more and more schools are providing breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the week? I hope we are deducting from the food stamps these people are receiving. (Yes, I know we are not)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,833 posts, read 5,813,227 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
But not the statement: "to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts, and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States,"

That has been in the constitution from the beginning.
True, but the term general welfare was never meant to be a catch all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM
 
28,893 posts, read 15,207,058 times
Reputation: 19727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Why do you hate the poor? Why do you hate single moms? Why do you hate the children?
How typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
According the the government and the judges they appoint it does.
Yes, the people who get their power and fund their friends through government have decided to give government more money, power and control.

Imagine if Ford could mandate that everybody must buy a new Ford every other year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Midwest
30,874 posts, read 19,422,596 times
Reputation: 7661
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
True, but the term general welfare was never meant to be a catch all.
The founding fathers certainly used a broad brush when they added that statement to the constitution. How are we to know how to interpret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,217,744 times
Reputation: 3602
Exactly what should our taxes pay for?

Apparently Obama family vacations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top