U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:07 AM
bUU

11,888 posts, read 8,672,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, I am on my phone and the text is too small for me to read. I am asking if you would post the relevant sentence or paragraph from the 22 page document you linked.
I posted them. Copied and pasted them into my message. They are there in a quotation block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:12 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,461,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Quote:
I posted them. Copied and pasted them into my message. They are there in a quotation block.
That doesn't say that someone has to provide you a job in your skill set.

"To translate into practical reality the right of all Americans who are able, willing, and. seeking to work to full opportunity for useful paid employment at
fair rates of compensation;"

If I only know how to make widgets, no one is required to create a position for me to make widgets. It is up to me to learn the skills that a business is seeking. Even if I am willing and able to make widgets, if the company is not hiring widget makers I am SOL.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM
bUU

It is no surprise that you won't admit the responsibility that the act actually places on the government.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM

45,925 posts, read 34,102,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I should have mentioned outsourcing would be unfavorable in this scenario. You would pay a 1000% tariff on anything not made in America, unless you meet a certain employment threshold here (IE, 80% of your workforce is here)
That would have a serious detrimental impact on US exports.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 AM

45,925 posts, read 34,102,318 times
Quote:
And here I thought that Obama was soley responsible for unemployment/ underemployment.

Then I see that legislation was passed in 1978 to address unemployment/ underemployment that required government to set annual employment goals for the private sector. If the private sector did not meet those goals, the government was expressly allowed to create public employment in the low skill/ low pay range to minimize competition with the private sector.

This legislation expired 15 years ago.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 AM
bUU

No it hasn't. The responsibility, which is what we're talking about, remains effective as part of the dual mandate of the Federal Reserve, etc.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,461,328 times
Quote:
It is no surprise that you won't admit the responsibility that the act actually places on the government.
I'm sorry, but I do not see how that law requires anyone to create jobs for my particular skill set. Maybe I'm missing it.

Quote:
An Act to translate into practical reality the right of all Americans who are able, willing, and seeking to work to full opportunity for useful paid employment at fair rates of compensation; to assert the responsibility of the Federal Government to use all practicable programs and policies to promote full employment, production, and real income, balanced growth, adequate productivity growth, proper attention to national priorities, and reasonable price stability; to require the President each year to set forther explicit short-term and medium-term economic goals; to achieve a better integration of general and structural economic policies; and to improve the coordination of economic policymaking within the Federal Government.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/95th-c.../house-bill/50
I still don't see anything but setting goals, or promoting. Nothing about the government creating or making businesses create a job to fit my skill set.

Quote:
The Congress further declares that, although it is the purpose the Full Employment and Balanced Growth Act of 1978 to Ante, p. 1887. seek diligently and to encourage the voluntary cooperation of the private sector in helping to achieve the objectives of such .A.ct, no provisions of such Act or this Act shall be used, with respect to any. portion of the private sector of the economy, to provide for-Federal Government control of production, employment; allocation of resources, or wages and prices, except to the extent authorized under other Federal laws
Basically it seems to be a "we should do something" law with no real teeth to it. The government can not force any business to hire a widget maker to make widgets if the business does not want to.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:57 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I'm sorry, but I do not see how that law requires anyone to create jobs for my particular skill set. Maybe I'm missing it.
Evidently despite it being right there in black and white. Responsibility is specified even if you cannot admit it.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 AM

36,989 posts, read 16,134,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
We've all heard and seen jobs replaced by varying levels of automation. This wasn't such an issue, as new jobs replaced the old, until we started approaching the vortex. As machines start reaching the point where they can do anything we can, there will be a greater vaccum between the haves and the have nots. Even those with advanced degrees wouldn't be able to compete with machines that can do anything from mixing drinks to surgery, from driving to psychoanalysis. To prevent or at least reduce this, should we tax for every machine doing a job a person could do? Not only would it prevent unemployment, but companies that do it anyway will still be contributing. It would also depend upon the job performed. Anywhere from 15,000 to 1,000,000 a year.
You must be a liberal. EVERY solution they have is based on "more taxes".

Taxes are NOT supposed to be punitive tool.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM

11,087 posts, read 6,999,393 times
Tax welfare benefits at a flat 25% rate. Th as t would include benefits like food stamps. This is the greatest source of untaxed money in America.

The govt taxes social security benefits so there is a precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies