Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, it's a way to establish and recognize legal rights and responsibilities. Just like adoption.

True, we could live without it, but it's easier for all concerned if there is a standard contract that everyone can understand.

Neither marriage nor adoption is going away. For some peculiar reason, most people *want* their societies to recognize their most intimate ties. Family members just do have legal and moral obligations to each other that next-door neighbors, for instance, don't have.

Be careful what you wish for. Saying that the government should butt out of recognizing family ties may not, in fact, be such a good idea.

There are other ways too, without governments permission.
The problem is, laws! With the fact that every law, restricts liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Did you need a license to buy your house?
No. But I had to meet the seller's and financier's requirements and attest to certain things in front of a notary. Then I got my deed (license), which was recorded by a government office, showing that the title trail was good and I had an owner's rights and responsibilities in the house. If ever a question arose regarding those rights/responsibilities, I would have been entitled to a day in court, with all the legal protections that affords.

It was a much bigger paperwork pain than getting married, but I wouldn't have bought the house in any other fashion.

Edited to add - I guess I did get a license to show that I owned the house, didn't I?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
If you're upset about the word "marriage" then fine. Let's just call it a civil union and be done for the day. But heterosexual couples don't get their marriages recognized by government because marriage is church law.

civil unions is where the government should get involved, and government should stay out of marriages.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Without marriage, government doesn't recognize your spouses right as your family member. The only liberty it is restricting is whoever is trying to deny your decision to take in that person as your spouse.

I cannot believe how much resistance people have over homosexual couples being married. They'd rather throw away marriage law. I wonder if anybody even dreamed of doing that before homosexual marriage became a possibility.

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
No. But I had to meet the seller's and financier's requirements and attest to certain things in front of a notary. Then I got my deed (license), which was recorded by a government office, showing that the title trail was good and I had an owner's rights and responsibilities in the house. If ever a question arose regarding those rights/responsibilities, I would have been entitled to a day in court, with all the legal protections that affords.

It was a much bigger paperwork pain than getting married, but I wouldn't have bought the house in any other fashion.

a deed is not a license. i do not know where you got that idea, since you do not need governments permission at all to buy land or home legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are other ways too, without governments permission.
Depends on how you look at things, I guess. Personally, I *like* it that laws exist that give me recourse against, say, blackmailers, cheaters, thieves, potential slavers, people who might think my yard is a handy place to get rid of their toxic waste, etc.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
civil unions is where the government should get involved, and government should stay out of marriages.
No cut on your beliefs, but I have to say I think it's rather silly that we have debated this so much and the only difference we have is governments use of a word to describe the contract.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
All legally recognized marriages in the us *are* civil unions, and always have been. If you want to also get your church's recognition, you may. But it isn't necessary.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
If you're upset about the word "marriage" then fine. Let's just call it a civil union and be done for the day. But heterosexual couples don't get their marriages recognized by government because marriage is church law.
No one has made a business case proving that the cost of changing the wording of thousands of laws in hundreds of jurisdictions is worth the cost, nor has anyone proposed how to get hundreds of millions of people to suddenly change their memories and mind-sets to adapt to the new nomenclature, so therefore no way to have the change be anything other than counter-productive. So no: The word is "marriage", and the word will be "marriage" whether the people married are of different genders or of the same gender.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:

Edited to add - I guess I did get a license to show that I owned the house, didn't I?

That works better than a fence and a gun, to tell everyone where your property begins and ends.
With humans and the natural need for a partner in life, cannot be compared to buying property, unless I buy my mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies