Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 AM

939 posts, read 794,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Do, you think that when the Daley's ran Illinois it was any different?

Or the dems ruling MD for a LOONG time it was any different.

Yeah, they might elect a repub gov. every once on awhile but, with a dem controlled state legislature the repub gov. doesn't get much accomplished.
Both parties are as crooked as the day is long. Politicians and people in power have always been by and large selfish and greedy. North or Souith doesn't make any difference. I believe change comes slower to a populace that is uneducated, and ignorant- that's all.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Right-wingers typically don't know many people of color in the South well enough for them to be trusted with the true stories of living as a person of color in the South. I suspect that in the three months I've lived here I've had more substantive heart-felt interchanges with people of various minority constituencies, including people of color, about the intolerance, discrimination, and racism they experience in the South, than most right-wingers in the South have had in their lifetime.
Wow, in your three months you've become quite the expert. So us right wingers in the South can't be trusted with the truth, but you in your three months have discovered more than we have in our entire lifetimes. Do you realize how utterly stupid that sounds?

Last edited by kidkaos2; 02-10-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And we heard the same thing when the Supreme Court ruled for Bush in his first election, The "hanging chad" election.

People ALWAYS support a judges ruling when they agree with it and trash the court when they rule against.

Don't forget at one time the Supreme Court ruled that black's were only 1/3 human.

They are NOT infallible.
Considering that the 14th is pretty clear on the issue of states denying rights and privileges to citizens, I think that the 25+ courts that ruled that way got it right. This is not some isolated event in one court with only liberal judges. These cases have been ruled on all over the country with judges appointed by all different presidents. So far only 1 has ruled differently and that case is pending in the supreme court right now.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:35 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Wow, in your three months you've become quite the expert.
You clearly didn't understand what I wrote:
Quote:
I suspect that in the three months I've lived here I've had more substantive heart-felt interchanges with people of various minority constituencies, including people of color, about the intolerance, discrimination, and racism they experience in the South, than most right-wingers in the South have had in their lifetime.
What you should have recognized is that the point I was making that in such a short period of time I had more exposure than people who should have been experts but weren't. I was highlighting how accessible the information is when you are willing to internalize it, and how those who have lived here for decades and failed to do so therefore have had to vigorously deceive themselves. Denial isn't the virtue you're trying to make it seem like.

Quote:
Do you realize how utterly stupid that sounds?
I realize how utterly stupid your obtuse failure to understand the point I made is. Thanks for the chance to underscore the inadequacy of your understanding of the reality around you, again.

Quote:
Again, do you really not realize how completely absurd you sound?
Do you really not realize how completely absurd your vacuous dodges sound?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Left leaning person here (Fox News basher).

I disagree. The South had some issues, and has some, as does any place. For instance, you can say that we were last to integrate, but in 2015 I say that race relations are better here, and more open. Go up north and there is MUCH MORE latent racism. Heck, in 1999 I broke down in New Hampshire, and was taken aback at the racism, the use of the N-word, and what not while my car was fixed. They were buddying up to me because they knew I was from the South, but it was aweful.

People up North are (IMO) much more racists. It doesn't show as much because many places outside the big cities are still unintegrated.

If I were a mix-race couple in a small town, I'd MUCH RATHER be in the South.
If I were Gay in a small town, I'd MUCH RATHER be in the South

I might say that 2015 Republicans need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Modern Age, but that is more of a philisophical comment, not geographical. (And I realize it is only my opinion, many will not agree.)
Just don't break down in East Texas. I promise you that you'll experience much worse than anything you could experience in New Hampshire.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Just don't break down in East Texas. I promise you that you'll experience much worse than anything you could experience in New Hampshire.
When I drove through East Texas (Houston to Port Arthur) I walked my lilly-white arse into a fully hispanic restaurant for breakfast. The people running it didn't speak English and I didn't hablo Espanol, but we figured it out, they were very friendly and I made friends with people on both sides of me at the breakfast bar. Neither looked like me.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Left leaning person here (Fox News basher).

I disagree. The South had some issues, and has some, as does any place. For instance, you can say that we were last to integrate, but in 2015 I say that race relations are better here, and more open. Go up north and there is MUCH MORE latent racism. Heck, in 1999 I broke down in New Hampshire, and was taken aback at the racism, the use of the N-word, and what not while my car was fixed. They were buddying up to me because they knew I was from the South, but it was aweful.

People up North are (IMO) much more racists. It doesn't show as much because many places outside the big cities are still unintegrated.

If I were a mix-race couple in a small town, I'd MUCH RATHER be in the South.
If I were Gay in a small town, I'd MUCH RATHER be in the South

I might say that 2015 Republicans need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Modern Age, but that is more of a philisophical comment, not geographical. (And I realize it is only my opinion, many will not agree.)
I agree. I lived in the midwest and it's much more racist. Since I've moved to the south 7 years ago, I've seen many more interracial couples and families, it's just not a big deal here like it is up north.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So are you saying that people who vote for either Democrats or Republicans don't always go along with every idea, platform or principle of that party?
Of course. But I did not say that most people who oppose SSM are rs, I said they self-identify as conservative. I am a liberal, so I mostly vote for ds, but I am here to tell you that the d party as a whole is not, in my eyes, very liberal - although certainly more liberal than the r party. Complimentarily, there are plenty of people who sneer at rino's, so I find it useful to distinguish between conservative/liberal (not to mention, say, socially liberal and economically liberal) and official parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Additionally, let's also not forget that California voted for prop 8, so weren't they also "dragged kicking and screaming"?
I don't personally recall talking about anyone being dragged anywhere, kicking, screaming, or not.

Californians voted on prop 8 what? about 10 years ago? Public opinion on SSM has been changing extremely rapidly, if a similar vote was held today, I doubt whether the result would be the same.

I like voter-initiated laws *a lot*, and I am very glad that the process is available to voters in most states, and think it ought to be available in all. Still, it is necessary that the voters as a whole, just like their representative legislatures, be subject to the federal constitution. And ever since the thought was presented to me that gay people should be able to get married, I have thought it was constitutionally wrong that they couldn't. There is simply no good reason I can see why a secular government should ban SSM.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
YOU can preserve any moral standard you want, but you can not force your morals on others.
But it's ok to force your morals onto me. Got it.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Yeah, I've heard some of the stories about East Texas….

Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars

TENAHA, Texas— You can drive into this dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana border if you're African-American, but you might not be able to drive out of it—at least not with your car, your cash, your jewelry or other valuables.

That's because the police here allegedly have found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: voluntarily sign over your belongings to the town, or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

More than 140 people reluctantly accepted that deal from June 2006 to June 2008, according to court records. Among them were a black grandmother from Akron, who surrendered $4,000 in cash after Tenaha police pulled her over, and an interracial couple from Houston, who gave up more than $6,000 after police threatened to seize their children and put them into foster care, the court documents show. Neither the grandmother nor the couple were charged with any crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies