Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:20 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,517,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't care. You don't understand the South. You're just a partisan who defines your ideas as "progress" so therefore people who don't agree with you are backwards. That makes you the bigot.
Hey if you don't want gays to be married, then you are a bigot. Own your bigotry. If you're proud enough to stand in the way of gays there must be a reason you're bigoted against them, right?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 PM

29,459 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
We certainly hope so. Not all your changes are positive changes.
On this specific subject, do you believe its positive ?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,181,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Does the South always have to be the last area of the country to achieve social progress and be forced by the federal government to adapt these changes despite the opposition from its conservative politicians. From integration to education to gay rights it always seems like the South lags far behind the rest of the country. Will it always be this way or will the federal government always have to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era?

And for those who say I don't understand the South I lived in North Carolina from age 6 to age 26.
Short answer: yes

Long answer: absolutely

Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,923,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
On this specific subject, do you believe its positive ?
I think it could be positive if it's handled correctly, but somehow I have my doubts that it will be.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,156,074 times
Mapped: Some states always need a shove past the civil rights finish line - The Washington Post

Old 02-09-2015, 11:44 PM

21,076 posts, read 19,579,298 times
Would you expect a place that was founded upon oppression to have progressive social views?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:10 AM

9,454 posts, read 10,757,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Just look at the ruckus legalizing gay marriage in Alabama has caused. You have a state judge ordering people to disobey the federal ruling and NOT give out marriage certificates.

In my opinion those clerks defying the tyrants in Washington are patriots. The federal government has no right to violate the state of Alabama's rights the way it has. This is about our bill of rights, it is about the freedom of states to make their own laws which reflect their own values. This is so much bigger than the gay issue. I support a states right to legalize gay marriage if its people chose it. If you don't like the laws of your state you are free to move. What I can never support is the federal government usurping the 10th amendment in order to force the liberal agenda on "red state America" because that is the only way they will ever get their agenda through there. I am glad that someone has had the guts to do this, most conservative states folded out of fear of the federal power. Time to stand up and tell these federal tyrants we will have no more. Our founding fathers had the guts to challenge tyrants, and the confederacy had the guts to stand up to federal tyrants. What I am trying to say is that our ancestors would not have put up with this without challenging it. We need people in this nation like this state judge and the county officials who are enforcing their state laws, in spite of this unconstitutional act by the federal government. I hope their spirit spreads like a wild fire across the red states, from the south to the mountain west, its time we assert our rights. Kudos to the patriots in our neighboring state to the south

Old 02-10-2015, 01:14 AM

10,077 posts, read 5,708,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Hey if you don't want gays to be married, then you are a bigot. Own your bigotry. If you're proud enough to stand in the way of gays there must be a reason you're bigoted against them, right?
There is nothing wrong with wanting to preserve a moral standard that has been in place since the inception of this country.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 AM

4,699 posts, read 4,057,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Does the South always have to be the last area of the country to achieve social progress and be forced by the federal government to adapt these changes despite the opposition from its conservative politicians. From integration to education to gay rights it always seems like the South lags far behind the rest of the country. Will it always be this way or will the federal government always have to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era?

And for those who say I don't understand the South I lived in North Carolina from age 6 to age 26.
It depends on what issues you look at. The south tends to be worse on gay rights, but the north is worse on upholding the second amendment.

Economically, states like Texas is doing much better than New York and California. Another intersting issue is immigration, where California's model hasn't been very sustainable. In Europe it went really off course, and the voters had to force the politicans to adopt more healthy immigration systems.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
God bless Alabama for standing up to this filth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.