Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 05:17 PM

920 posts, read 633,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
He's not as equally allowed to marry a male as a female is allowed to. So yes, it is discrimination on the basis of sex. It is saying "Only women can marry men".

I have to ask, who gets the ultimate decision to define marriage? Christians? Romans? Pagans? Americans?

I'm gonna go with Americans, since it's our country and we are by law not a religious country.
That is not discrimination based on sex. Geeze, if I said, only men can sit at the lunch counter THAT discriminates based on sex. If I say all men, regardless of their sexual attraction can marry a woman, and all women regardless of their sexual attraction can marry a man, there is no discrimination based on sex.

Americans did not define marriage, they just didn't redefine it after it had existed within civilization before anyone on your list.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:17 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If the truth is no fun, so be it.

You still dont understand a few things. One of which is why self incrimination has to do with spousal testifying and the fact that that has nothing to do with the absurd notion that marriage is a right. Keep posting it's funny.
YOU brought it up, put or SHUT UP time.
Is spousal privilege a right enjoyed only by married couples? That's a yes or no question, btw.

Or you can outlay your self-incrimination argument? I'd actually be interested in hearing it.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you are the exception to the rule. Big deal! The polls show that most conservatives oppose gay marriage. Want me to post one? Gays can get all the legal protection they want with a civil union. Gay marriage feels to me like we are going the way of the Romans long ago where anything goes.
I'm not the only exception to the rule.

You were the one saying that NO CONSERVATIVES SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE RIGHTS. Well, you're wrong. And you'll be more wrong as time goes on.

Quote:
61% of Republican leaning voters aged 18–29 support allowing same-sex couples to marry, while only 27% of Republican leaning voters over 50 years of age are supportive. 52% of Republican voters aged 18–50 support same-sex marriage.
Majority of young conservatives accept same-sex marriage | The Daily Texan
Anti-gay marriage sentiment fading - The Washington Post
Young Republicans favor same-sex marriage | Pew Research Center

Quote:
A Gallup poll conducted in May 2014 found that 55% of Americans support allowing marriage for same-sex couples, 42% opposed, and 4% had no opinion on the issue. This was the largest percentage ever measured by the organization.
Same-Sex Marriage Support Reaches New High at 55%
Public opinion of same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A Washington Post/ABC News poll from February–March 2014 found a record high of 59% of Americans approve of same-sex marriage, with only 34% opposed and 7% with no opinion.
Support for same-sex marriage hits new high; half say Constitution guarantees right - The Washington Post

https://www.facebook.com/YoungCons4Marriage

A Conservative Case for Gay Marriage - Reason.com

Since 40 percent of Americans classify themselves as conservatives, it's pretty plain to see that I'm not the only conservative who isn't opposed to gay marriage rights.

In fact (hang onto your cowboy hat) THIRTY PERCENT OF CONSERVATIVES support same sex marriage rights.
Conservatives continue to oppose same-sex marriage but by smaller margins | Pew Research Center
Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
We finally agree. yea!!!!! (As long as you dont try to force that acceptance on others.)
I don't care if you or anyone else personally accepts my marriage. You can pretend I'm not married all day long. Go for it. It has no impact on my life in any way.

If other laws require you to treat homosexuals the same as everyone else then your problem is with those laws, and you can try to get those laws overturned.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:19 PM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, if a man can marry a woman, but a woman can not that is discrimination based on the sex of the people getting married.
Not one marriage license asks for the sexual orientation of the people getting married.

That's right. Because there is no discrimination based on the sex/gender of the individuals who seek a marriage license. They just have to be a man and a woman. Straight or gay doesn't matter, just one man and one woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Gay marriage feels to me like we are going the way of the Romans long ago where anything goes.
No one is forcing YOU to enter into a gay marriage so I don't see why you're so upset.

All sorts of things are legal that we may not consider personally moral. That doesn't mean we are "guilty by association."

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I think the whole problem here started when states began banning same-sex couples from accessing marriage law in contravention of the Constitutional right to equal protection under the laws.
Yes, spousal benefits are huge.
If I were a gay business man and wanted to stick out and succeed I'd be all for government getting out of the marriage business and then I'd go out of my way to make it known that my company grants same sex couples marital benefits. I'd be a huge success, fishing from a bigger pond. There has to be some stories of businesses that recognized that before it became/becomes law.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
That is not discrimination based on sex. Geeze, if I said, only men can sit at the lunch counter THAT discriminates based on sex. If I say all men, regardless of their sexual attraction can marry a woman, and all women regardless of their sexual attraction can marry a man, there is no discrimination based on sex.

Americans did not define marriage, they just didn't redefine it after it had existed within civilization before anyone on your list.
You still haven't addressed why it's not discrimination by not allowing men to marry men. I do not see how it's any different than saying women cannot enter into the workplace because women are allowed to stay at home and men are are allowed to work, regardless of whether they want to or not.

Marriage in US law is contract law only. The government doesn't care what tradition is behind it, it is only a word to describe the most common contract of the land, deciding rights between spouses. Spouses being the person you choose to share those rights and privileges with, granted and protected by the government.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
A conservative believes in less government intervention especially at the federal level and they believe in states rights. A conservative believes government should not define who can or cannot marry as its not the role of government.

Conservative from the word conserve, use less of.
Exactly right.

The less government intrusion into homes and into bedrooms, the better. I don't want or need the government to define which consenting adults can have sex together. I can figure out my own moral standard without the government's help and I'm all for allowing others to do the same.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
That's right. Because there is no discrimination based on the sex/gender of the individuals who seek a marriage license. They just have to be a man and a woman. Straight or gay doesn't matter, just one man and one woman.
Just like there was no discrimination or unequal treatment under interracial marriage bans. Everybody - and every race - was treated equally. It just had to be two members of the same race - just like it has to be two members of the opposite sex. Nobody could marry anybody of another race - just like nobody can marry anybody of the same sex.

Yeah, the courts laughed that argument out of court in the 1960s, and they're still laughing it out of court in the 2010s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies