U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:07 AM

21,247 posts, read 19,240,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I guess Greece will just need to suck it up and fix itself.

Little sympathy for Greek woes in eurozone's poorer nations

Warsaw (AFP) - After painful market reforms and austerity under their belts, the poorer ex-communist nations of the eurozone have little sympathy for Greece's latest debt woes -- with some even insisting the bloc could survive a "Grexit".
Yes, there is little solidarity between poor nations, to the contrary.
But those people in those tiny countries in your link make the mistake to think that austerity programs work. It is always easy to have a 3% growth after a sever recession. The point is that austerity programs, especially of the kind forced upon struggling countries, make no sense. And even some experts within the FMI admit that, it is not only my view. I am not at all against saving at the right places, but I see no point in putting social peace at risk. There are lots of wealthy Greeks, wealthy not least thanks to tax evasion. They should go after those in a merciless fashion, around the globe of course since those criminals tend to think internationally. I think we need absolute and global transparency and data exchange regarding all things to do with money.

Not to mention that it is stupid to say, look at me, my pension in Latvia is just 270 euros, so what are you complaining about? I assume the cost of living in Latvia is lower than in Greece. And if it is not and a retiree can't live a dignified life in Latvia, they should bring their government down instead of complaining about the Greeks just because those don't put up with that nonsense system.

The system is broken throughout Europe, including in Germany, where poverty is also rising. When a country is booming while at the same time poverty is increasing, it clearly shows something is wrong.

There has been a thorough analysis of the reforms the Germans had under Schröder. And the result was that Germany is booming despite those reforms, not because of them. They have caused more damage than good. But neoliberals don't want to hear that.

Frankly, I think many of those former communist countries overdid their Westernization and have become extremists on the other side of the spectrum. We need a strong leftist revival in Europe and turn around the economic fascism that is spreading like cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Russia is a lot more similar to the USSR than Germany is to Nazi Germany.

Putin is basically a Soviet fan girl. He would love to have lead the USSR and would happily bring it back if he thought he could get away with it. Nazi Germany existed for just over a decade; the Soviet Union existed for 70 years and had a significantly larger impact on the world than Germany did. I know some would disagree, but Hitler only held the spot light for one decade. The Soviets were a dominant player for forty years after WWII ended.

Germany has a sad history as well. It's relatively young, only forming as a united state in the latter half of the 19th century, getting to powerful for it's own good and biting off more than it could chew during WWI, then suffering more than any nation in Europe did after WWI ended. Hitler brought it back, only to have the nation largely reduced to rubble and be split in half after WWII and be left in a constant state of civil tension between the East and the West for the next 40 years.

Point is, Germany is ideologically different from the Nazis anymore. Russia... it really hasn't changed much. Which is reasonable. Nazi Germany fell in 1945, the Soviet Union fell in 1991. Many people are alive to remember the fall of the Soviet Union; few are left who truly remember the fall of Nazi Germany.

Germany doesn't owe anyone ****.
I don't agree at all, I think Russia is more different from the SU than the two Germany's are from each other. Ideology? Hello, the SU was communist, Russia is extremely capitalist.
In terms of territory Russia is also much smaller than the SU was.

The latest political movements in Germany show that there are still - or again - a lot of people with Nazi thinking, and those are young people, not some old geezers from Nazi Germany.

Last edited by Neuling; 02-23-2015 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:35 AM

7,178 posts, read 5,394,904 times
Default Greece demands reparations from Germany from Nazi occupation

during World War II:

Greece demands €279bn from Germany in Nazi war reparations - Telegraph

...more than the cost of their current EU bailout...

Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 AM

23,860 posts, read 11,864,057 times
If I was Germany, I would tell Greece to go eff itself.

That time has come and gone.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 AM

11,619 posts, read 5,909,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
during World War II:

Greece demands €279bn from Germany in Nazi war reparations - Telegraph

...more than the cost of their current EU bailout...
The Germans left their "marks" on Greece, and then converted to Euros.

Just slick financhery, tha's all.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 AM

7,178 posts, read 5,394,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Certainly reeks of desperation. Also the victim culture has now gone from individuals, to selected groups (race, etc) to sovereign nations.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,738,755 times
this is nothing new they do it every time they need cover from the maddening crowd. Drowning man theory fits well; they grab at anything

Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 PM

11,087 posts, read 6,971,209 times
So the Euro has ultimately led to the same level of rage agsinst Germany as existed in France post WWI.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:07 PM

26,306 posts, read 12,794,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Reading through it all...its a complex topic. If Greece were to actually win the argument Germany would be in some trouble. I suspect its more of "Hey you know we forgave this debt with you, might I suggest you act reasonable and work with us on this?"

Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 PM

11,619 posts, read 5,909,614 times
Are there any metal-backed currencies anywhere in the world where the metal isn't plutonium?

It's pretty hard to coin oil.

Oil can only be paper-sopped and burnt.

Might be a good idea for Greece to avoid carbon money and decay-money.

Silver can survive millions of recirculations with but an unappreciable loss of its weight.

Silver conducts current.

Currently, it might be Greece's best option for recovery.

Maybe Germany should reparate 10 or so billion ounces to Greece to free itself of Greece's drag.

I'm sure that would do it.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 PM

3,651 posts, read 2,322,138 times
Can we call it the Greffoffanddie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies