Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,945,145 times

Advertisements

Welp! More proof of the failure of trying to fight a war on a plant, and more proof that the so-called "war" does more harm to people than the actual substance itself!

Enough of this police state BS already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,662,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
As long as you are not a criminal or suspected of being a criminal.
Not true at all. Why do you think a criminal has no right to be safe in his home?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
This is a tragedy for the cop but good news for society. I would feel much safer if we had 90% fewer SWAT personnel. I suspect that 90% of the no knock SWAT raids could have been easily handled without violence.

But once again, the blame is on our EVIL war on drugs. Without the war on drugs, this would have never happened.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Don't blame the progressives. Canada is very progressive and yet we have an extremely high level of freedom and protection from agents of "The State". It's the American system that is to blame. A truly political justice system, a constitution that isn't worth the paper it's written on, an insane proliferation of thousands of competing law enforcement agencies. Never forget that it was Lincoln who gutted the US constitution and created an overbearing all powerful central government that has stayed that way ever since. If I remember correctly old Abe was a Republican.
Old Abe was a member of the Republican party but was certainly a progressive. He advanced the power of the federal government more than any other president.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,233,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Old Abe was a member of the Republican party but was certainly a progressive. He advanced the power of the federal government more than any other president.
Yeah, I think that people don't realize that the Republicans were fairly progressive socially until the Democrats retreated from their strongholds in the South.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:57 AM

296 posts, read 316,959 times
Just last year I remember reading about a no-knock SWAT raid where they threw a flashbang into a baby's crib. Unreal. How can anyone feel safe when the people who are supposed to protect us are actually the biggest threat to our lives?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,496,037 times
I hope this sends a message in regards to such no-knock warrants.

I can't see a single reason why a no-knock warrant was issued in the first place. They were going there for pot and guns. Nobody's life was in immediate danger. Additionally, and not that it really matters, could he flush guns and enough pot to worry about in between them knocking and serving a warrant?

From what I read, if I were on the jury, I would have no-billed him as well.

I feel bad for the cop who ended up dead after following orders, but just because the idiot supervisors screwed up doesn't mean the man should go to jail for the killing.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,859,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Good. He had a right to defend his property without the knowledge he was being placed under arrest. Maybe now the police will start being a little more cautious and dial back their zealousness to obtain suspects.

If you have kept abreast of reports of local police forces receiving military weapons and vehicles you know what they will be used for. Heavily armed SWAT teams will be riding around in MWRAPS as if in the ME to serve warrants/eviction notices. You can bet they will use excessive force for unwarranted reasons..

Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,859,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Good. He had a right to defend his property without the knowledge he was being placed under arrest. Maybe now the police will start being a little more cautious and dial back their zealousness to obtain suspects.

If you have kept abreast of reports of local police forces receiving military weapons and vehicles you know what they will be used for. Heavily armed SWAT teams will be riding around in MWRAPS as if in the ME to serve warrants/eviction notices. You can bet they will use excessive force for unwarranted reasons..

Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,540,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You do not understand the entire concept of "Progressive". Actually advancing the power of a central government is regressive not progressive. Progressive is actual measures brought into law and not how those measures are implemented.

The Canada healthcare act is good example of a progressive measure. This act insures a high quality of healthcare for all citizens and residents of this country. The act actually decentralizes power to the provinces and territories.There is no large federal bureaucracy involved in it. The provinces then create at arms length corporations to run their healthcare regions, again keeping the government out of the healthcare business.

The reason "progressive" has become a bad word in the USA is simple. In the USA everything is politicized.
Some Senator or some congressional committee wants the "POWER" and the patronage connected to that, by actually presiding over some massive government programme. The results of that are very plain to see. Incompetence, corruption, nepotism, political pay backs, etc. The end result is always very inferior service at a grossly inflated cost. Just contemplate the Walter Reid fiasco for a minute and you can understand what I mean.

You know, over the years there has been a lot of discussion about the USA creating a Canadian style universal healthcare system. The USA could not have such a system because they are incapable of running such a system. It would just end up as a massive boondoggle riddled with corruption and incompetence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies