Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:36 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,609 times

Advertisements

Does the South always have to be the last area of the country to achieve social progress and be forced by the federal government to adapt these changes despite the opposition from its conservative politicians. From integration to education to gay rights it always seems like the South lags far behind the rest of the country. Will it always be this way or will the federal government always have to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era?

And for those who say I don't understand the South I lived in North Carolina from age 6 to age 26.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Does the South always have to be the last area of the country to achieve social progress and be forced by the federal government to adapt these changes despite the opposition from its conservative politicians. From integration to education to gay rights it always seems like the South lags far behind the rest of the country. Will it always be this way or will the federal government always have to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era?

And for those who say I don't understand the South I lived in North Carolina from age 6 to age 26.
Yes, it will always be that way.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 PM

319 posts, read 303,470 times
Quote:

I didn't know city data existed in a circa 1958 NAACP meeting! Cool!
Golly Gee Willikers, I have to wait 5 years and get outside to save JFK from Lee Harvey Oswald!
After that I'm going to a drive in theater to have a nice malt milk shake and go home to see the newest episode of Leave It To Beaver!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Just look at the ruckus legalizing gay marriage in Alabama has caused. You have a state judge ordering people to disobey the federal ruling and NOT give out marriage certificates.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
I didn't know city data existed in a circa 1958 NAACP meeting! Cool!
Golly Gee Willikers, I have to wait 5 years and get outside to save JFK from Lee Harvey Oswald!
After that I'm going to a drive in theater to have a nice malt milk shake and go home to see the newest episode of Leave It To Beaver!
Take off your blinders.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 PM

319 posts, read 303,470 times
They have affirmative action and bussing in the south. Didn't you folks get what you wanted?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:

I don't care. You don't understand the South. You're just a partisan who defines your ideas as "progress" so therefore people who don't agree with you are backwards. That makes you the bigot.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Yes.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't care. You don't understand the South. You're just a partisan who defines your ideas as "progress" so therefore people who don't agree with you are backwards. That makes you the bigot.
no. Refusal to give your citizens the access to rights enjoyed by every other resident in your state makes YOU the bigot. People in the south have very many fine qualities, but fall short when it comes to recognizing that all americans should share in the same rights and freedoms.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
no, by the definition you are using to define bigotry, that would make them both bigots. Luckily for him, thats not actually the definition of bigotry(its far more complicated than simply not agreeing with someone) and its just the people he is describing that are bigots.

You can have what ever personal philosophy you want, but when you start to impose that philosophy on others, there is a huge problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies