Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times

Advertisements

In his SOTU speech last night, BO mentioned something about 'ever try raising a family on minimum wage?' (or something to that effect)
To which I responded: "If you're only qualified to earn minimum wage, you shouldn't be having a family you're trying to feed"

Is that too harsh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
min wage is for unskilled workers

if you have a family and want to support them....you better learn/earn a skill set

Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
In his SOTU speech last night, BO mentioned something about 'ever try raising a family on minimum wage?' (or something to that effect)
To which I responded: "If you're only qualified to earn minimum wage, you shouldn't be having a family you're trying to feed"

Is that too harsh?
Not harsh enough.

Mandatory birth control should be implemented until people who are stupid enough to breed without the money to support the child get a brain cell and a better job.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

Is that too harsh?
Only 4.3% of American workers earn minimum wage.
And of the 4.3% more than 1/2 are under 25 years old.

The way the President and the MSM talk you'd think 90% of Americans are earning min wage.

Direct from he BLS:
http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2013.pdf

Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:

Is that too harsh?
Yes. When my first daughter was born I was making minimum wage. I worked two jobs.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Many union contracts have clauses that link union wages to minimum wage so that when minimum wage goes up so does union pay and then union dues. It's about getting the union paid so the Democrat party gets paid.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

The way the President and the MSM talk you'd think 90% of Americans are earning min wage.

Direct from he BLS:
So raising it shouldn't be the issue folks claim right.....?

Fact check for you, making $.05 above minimum wage still sucks-and quickly increases that small %.

Sigh. and half are over 25.

Now onto some of the other responses. Sure we could do mandatory birth control, Im sure THAT would go over well in a democracy based on freedom that fought a world war against a country that espoused those ideas. Is it a reasonable thing? In some ways yes, in some ways no. Bottom line though? You are absolutely insane if you think thats a workable idea.

So....reproduction is what we are geared for. Ever see how many people see babies and go ga ga over them? Yeah thats our drive to reproduce messing with us. If you think young people can avoid that you are also absolutely insane if you think thats a workable idea. People ARE going to reproduce, its what our evolution has pushed us to do. As we get older that drive goes down, and we start saying "WTH are you thinking having a child you can't afford?".....apparently forgetting what many of us did or felt when younger.

I raised a family on minimum wage once....it used to be doable. Our country has even more wealth today...and suddenly its not. hmmm.....

Old 01-21-2015, 07:18 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Many union contracts have clauses that link union wages to minimum wage so that when minimum wage goes up so does union pay and then union dues. It's about getting the union paid so the Democrat party gets paid.
Define "many". I think you will find its a very small minority. Next deceptive talking point?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Direct from he BLS:
And out of those how many also have spouses making more than minimum wage?

And out of those how many are also earning money off the books?

Minimum wage is not made to be raising a family on. If you are earning minimum wage don't have a family yet.

Of course there are cases where people did have good jobs, had a family, lost those jobs through no real fault of their own and have to take minimum wage. Although this minimum wage earning family will probably qualify for about $5,000 in earned income credit and also food stamps. Not easy but doable in the short term.

Personally I am against raising minimum wage substantially but I am in favor of a slight increase and tying it to inflation.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. Even when first implemented, it was not enough to live off of working 8 hours a day. You had two jobs.
Minimum wage is not for the head of households, unless that person did not finish High School and has not marketable skills.
Minimum wage is for those just entering the job market. Usually the young and sometimes the very old that want or still need to work to supplement their small fixed retirement income.
Minimum wage jobs are a supply & demand problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies