Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM

72 posts, read 69,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
nothing but random violence. They weren't targeted for their faith. Just ask obama - he'll tell you.
Lol

Old 02-11-2015, 08:36 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Nothing but random violence. They weren't targeted for their faith. Just ask Obama - he'll tell you.
Using Obama logic, even if it wasn't random (but it was), Muslims have targeted Christians in the past so Muslims can't complain and should be happy for the payback...just trying to be consistent with the logic of our Dear Leader.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:36 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
After 548 battles, the marauding, slaughtering and conquering Muslim hordes (Jihadists) were on the verge of successfully wiping out Christianity. Constantinople was about to fall to the Muslims. They pleaded for help. The response was the beginning of the Crusades. But Constantinople fell anyway, and became a Muslim city, was renamed "Istanbul," and all of Turkey fell to Islam.
Actually at the start of the Crusades, Latin Christianity was in a period of expansion in Eastern Europe(and re-conquest in Spain)--it was nowhere near being wiped out. The Seljuk Turks were threatening the Byzantines in Asia Minor--and while supposedly the goal of the Crusades was to help them, they basically went straight for Jerusalem and the Levant instead of helping the Byzantines reclaim Anatolia. They sacked Jerusalem killed most of the Muslims and Jews inside and created their own kingdoms rather than giving territory back to the Byzantine Greeks.

Everyone leaves out the part where Crusaders sacked and conquered Constantinople itself during the Fourth Crusade, created their own Latin Empire in place of the Byzantines--and act from which the Byzantine Empire never recovered and which directly led to the upstart Ottoman Turks taking what was left of their territory. But the mostly French Crusaders never like the Byzantines to begin with;they never cared for Eastern Christians much. The Crusades were simply wars of conquest, just like the Turks or Mongols or Arabs or Romans or Greeks tried to conquer the area. It's hard to look at bloody medieval wars and declare one side good or bad--basically kingdoms or tribes at that point would fight at what ever opportunity they had to gain more territory or power.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't get why the extreme right is so hung up on things like the Crusades and the Inquisition and Slavery and Jim Crow.
We aren't. Obama brought it up. We are hung up on Obama lecturing Christians based on his ignorance of history and Christianity.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,284 times
It doesn't matter if he's an atheist, conservative, or liberal. He's a douchebag for killing 3 innocent people.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
First of all, I want to make my position very clear on this - based on the information at hand so far, I think these murders are horrific and completely unjustified and my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

Craig Stephen Hicks, the murderer, despises all religions equally. His social media posts are full of criticism and ridicule of all religions, especially Islam and Christianity.

At this time, however, we don't have a reason to believe that the victims were targeted due to their religion, so I am waiting to gather more verifiable information rather than jumping to conclusions. We do know that the shooter and at least two of the three victims had been involved in a dispute about parking spaces. Of course, this in no way justifies their murder at the hands of a freaking idiot but let's not make assumptions about motive till we know more.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Nothing but random violence. They weren't targeted for their faith. Just ask Obama - he'll tell you.
I do not have to ask the media what to say. I can think for myself. You should try it.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
We aren't. Obama brought it up. We are hung up on Obama lecturing Christians based on his ignorance of history and Christianity.
I am Christian, and I do not feel lectured. You feel lectured because you associate yourself with the torturers of the inquisition because you think they are in your camp. They were not Christian, just FYI, they were criminals, and they did not spare non-Catholic Christians or Jews from the atrocities. You have no idea who you are defending.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Talk about bias:

CNN reports the facts: 3 Students murdered in UNC (that's what we actually know).

Fox News' headline is that "Parking, not hate" cause. These guys are intent on starting armagedon. Crikey.

(FWIW, I live and work very near Ch. Hill. not that it matters, but this hits home for me.)

Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 AM

72 posts, read 69,072 times
Why can't people get that the Crusades = Taking stolen Christian land back and defend themselves from being brutally murdered by the Muslims. This happens many centuries ago; cannot be compared with modern-day brutality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies