U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 PM

4,799 posts, read 1,621,434 times

Advertisements

I like how most people here see why a state-enforced dress code is bad, but some won't see why similar regulations are also bad for the same reason. I don't think most people are control freaks in their daily lives (some are) but they become control freaks when it comes to the government. "Let's force my neighbor to live by my values...and if they don't then we lock them in a cage"...and then they claim they are "civilizing" society.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,668,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabicHabibi View Post
Do you think that men and women should have to cover themselves up in public (outside of beaches & boardwalks)? Not necessary with hijabs/Islamic clothing, but women not having their boobs sticking out or in people's face, not having to deal with some women wearing very short skirts, some men not wearing shirts, etc. This may also prevent any sex crimes, pedophilia, and other immoral behaviors.

Indeed many public schools have dress code, why can't we have similar dress code out in the public square? If public schools can get away with it, then it should be legal everywhere. Obviously what people do in their private homes nobody's business.

Dubai is a good example of a place with dress code; a modern secularized society, yet conservative.
How about we ban wannabe fashion police from leaving the house?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM

32,166 posts, read 16,531,673 times
Quote:
Indeed many public schools have dress code, why can't we have similar dress code out in the public square? I
Because it's a nitwit idea not worthy of second's deliberation.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:14 PM

32,166 posts, read 16,531,673 times
Quote:
Having dress code at public schools, isn't it against 1st amendment as well?
No. Students' 1st amendment rights can be limited when necessary to achieve educational goals.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,468,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Only muslim's should be foreced to dress this way in public. That gives the rest of us a good idea of who the terrorists are.
And bigots should be forced to wear a pointy white hood over their heads in public. That gives the rest of us a good idea of who the racist, backwood, redneck, highschool drop outs who can't spell correctly are.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,270,890 times
Quote:
Do you think that men and women should have to cover themselves up in public (outside of beaches & boardwalks)? Not necessary with hijabs/Islamic clothing, but women not having their boobs sticking out or in people's face, not having to deal with some women wearing very short skirts, some men not wearing shirts, etc. This may also prevent any sex crimes, pedophilia, and other immoral behaviors.

Indeed many public schools have dress code, why can't we have similar dress code out in the public square? If public schools can get away with it, then it should be legal everywhere. Obviously what people do in their private homes nobody's business.

Dubai is a good example of a place with dress code; a modern secularized society, yet conservative.
This is irony at it's best. Conservatives values all the way! Individual freedom... but not with what you wear.

Do women have their boobs sticking out and in people's faces a lot? I must have missed that. Too bad.

And yeah, the number of men walking around without shirts is too high! I thought we lived in the US of A, not the Soviet Union!

And don't even get me started on short skirts. Seeing a leg! What has happened to this country!?

And on a serious note, in what way would any of these dress code policies prevent sex crimes, pedophilia, or "immoral behavior." Please provide one reason why that makes sense. Just one.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 PM

18,057 posts, read 8,141,377 times
If a sign like that appeared in my local mall, I'd seriously consider buying some spray paint.

I think american society is already too body-hating, especially if the body in question does not fit hollywood norms.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:32 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,051,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Wow! I would hope that law doesn't pass! Women in yoga pants! God bless em! And God bless whoever invented them!

Old 02-11-2015, 12:34 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,715,920 times
Quote:

I think the government should just stay out of everyone's business. Next they will be telling you how many squares you can use to wipe with.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:34 PM

18,057 posts, read 8,141,377 times
Quote:
Having dress code at public schools, isn't it against 1st amendment as well? Some towns do have dress codes. I remember one Jersey Shore town banning baggy pants...
Personally, I think you have a good point, but this is hardly something I'd go to the mat over. It is well-settled american law that minors in public schools do not have the civil protections that adults have, and that the school's need to keep order outweighs a student's rights to privacy and free expression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies