Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually I think LL is wrong on this issue. They should have verified all the player's were eligible prior to the tournament. Why wait so many months.

Have they ever done this before??

I would like to know last year's eligibility process and how it was determined and the timeframe. If this is a new precedent, I would believe it was racially focused.
The LL counts on local officials to verify eligibility. When those officials are corrupt, the higher-ups can't do much unless a complaint reaches their level.

You'll believe it was racially focused no matter the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 01:49 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The LL counts on local officials to verify eligibility. When those officials are corrupt, the higher-ups can't do much unless a complaint reaches their level.

You'll believe it was racially focused no matter the facts.
It was definitely racially focused...

that's my official opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It was definitely racially focused...

that's my official opinion and I'm sticking to it.
I'd expect nothing less from you, JJ, and everyone else who wants everything bad to be race-based.

Maybe you can start a memorial for the local officials who were banned because of the cheating.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Have they ever done this before??

I would like to know last year's eligibility process and how it was determined and the timeframe. If this is a new precedent, I would believe it was racially focused.
California, 2001
Little League baseball isn't just for kids, and that can be a problem - Los Angeles Times

Different California, 1997
Disqualifications Disrupt Little Leaguers - Los Angeles Times

New York, 2002
BASEBALL - Little League Is Back in Spotlight, Over Where Harlem Players Live - NYTimes.com

Philippines, 1992
BASEBALL - Little League Strips Title From Team In Philippines - NYTimes.com

Old 02-13-2015, 02:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Exclamation Just await and see...

Well it looks like there will be an investigation into whether the rules are being applied equally. Attorney Victor Henderson will be conducting an investigation to see how the Little League responds to similar cases of players living outside of their zoned districts...

Jackie Robinson West Lawyer Investigating Whether Other Little League Teams Are Held To Same Standard

Old 02-13-2015, 03:08 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm already on record in here bashing the coaches and the ump for allowing the score to get that high.

The point about Evergreen is IF they have also skirted the rules they should be the last one to scream foul just because they were beat 43-2.

Once again, I don't blame anyone for being PO'ed when losing by 41 runs but part of baseball is accepting a loss regardless if its by 1 run or by 40 runs.
Unlike football where teams intentionally run up the score for higher rankings, baseball is different. Once a manager/coach gets to a significant lead, he calls off the dogs. That is not to say they stop trying, but they put in reserves, and play less aggressively. For instance, other than home runs, they do not try to leg out an extra base hit. They stop stealing and intentionally bunting players over. They essentially go station to station. Many leagues even have a mercy rule to where you need to be within 7 runs or the game is called early.

The point is that for a team to score 43 runs, the coach obviously did not follow the aforementioned unwritten rules. He did it either out of ignorance, bravado, or some other reason.
I am just surprised his batters did not start getting hit with pitches, or a fight didn't break out. Regardless, if you spit in someone's face, it does not surprise me that the team spit upon didn't want payback. Like the old saying goes, what comes around, goes around.

`

Old 02-13-2015, 03:39 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Unlike football where teams intentionally run up the score for higher rankings, baseball is different. Once a manager/coach gets to a significant lead, he calls off the dogs. That is not to say they stop trying, but they put in reserves, and play less aggressively. For instance, other than home runs, they do not try to leg out an extra base hit. They stop stealing and intentionally bunting players over. They essentially go station to station. Many leagues even have a mercy rule to where you need to be within 7 runs or the game is called early.

The point is that for a team to score 43 runs, the coach obviously did not follow the aforementioned unwritten rules. He did it either out of ignorance, bravado, or some other reason.
I am just surprised his batters did not start getting hit with pitches, or a fight didn't break out. Regardless, if you spit in someone's face, it does not surprise me that the team spit upon didn't want payback. Like the old saying goes, what comes around, goes around.

`
Dude, these are 11 and 12 year olds. I've never seen intentionally throwing batters at this age. I'm pretty sure if a coach had his 12 year old pitcher intentionally hit batters there would be fights between parents/coaches in the stands/dugouts... Being up by that many runs would be the least of issues at that point.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:08 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Dude, these are 11 and 12 year olds. I've never seen intentionally throwing batters at this age. I'm pretty sure if a coach had his 12 year old pitcher intentionally hit batters there would be fights between parents/coaches in the stands/dugouts... Being up by that many runs would be the least of issues at that point.
11 or 12 is not too young for a black man to be painted as a criminal. American history taught us that.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The Las Vegas team cheated? Prove it. And then report the to the LLWS. But right now only one team has been confirmed to have cheated. And that's the Jackie Robinson West team.

They cheated and now they are dealing with the consequences. If this had been a rich, white team, there wouldn't even be a thread. Unless of course, the rich white team had beat a non-cheating Jackie Robinson team, and then Jesse Jackson, Karen Lewis, the OP, and you would all be cheering the team losing their title. And I would agree with that decision as well. Cheating teams should not be allowed to keep their titles.
the other Chicago team cheated and then told the Las Vegas team manager about JRW. And that has been proven seeing as the mother of the Child on the Evergreen Park team has lived at the same address with her son since birth(in JRW's district).

My argument is simply that telling on everyone else after you yourself have cheated is sour grapes.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
The Jackie Robinson West team are like the Hawks from The Mighty Ducks where Banks should have been a District 5 player but no-one knew until Coach Bombay called the league on it. It happens. Sad to see they lost a title because of it but it isn't uncommon and nothing really racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies