Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times

Advertisements

"TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A judge in New Jersey has ruled that claims of gay conversion therapy that describe homosexuality as a curable mental disorder are fraud."

My question is, who is stupid enough to pay for this service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:18 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Religions based on superstitious mythologies have always needed to indoctrinate adherents in such a manner that they believe the mythologies are factually accurate and true, so as to preclude adherents from thinking for themselves and thereby devolving the religion by way of personal revelation. The need to deceive adherents in that manner has only increased over the 350 or so years of the modern age. The deception is so strongly promoted that it has continued effect even after the adherent breaks from the church. Even converts to our deliberately and distinctly reality-based religion report that it is difficult to refrain from acting on what they have no doubt is clearly discredited nonsense, their original indoctrination having been so insidious. So imagine how effectively brainwashed someone could be if they still believed the mythology was actual instead of parable, and how that effective brainwashing could drive them to pay for such a service.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:24 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
"TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A judge in New Jersey has ruled that claims of gay conversion therapy that describe homosexuality as a curable mental disorder are fraud."

It won't be official until a judge from Kansas says so and multiple televangelists publicly agree on the science behind this fact on the Sean Hannity show, during which time Sean will show a clip of the Westboro Baptist Church at a funeral holding up signs saying "We were wrong."

Until that time comes, well, you'll just have to live with the stupid.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:26 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:

Religious people who believe that it's a choice.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:26 AM

Yeah, up to $10,000 a year. I hope they have enough left over to put in the plate after being scammed

Old 02-12-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
It won't be official until a judge from Kansas says so and multiple televangelists publicly agree on the science behind this fact on the Sean Hannity show, during which time Sean will show a clip of the Westboro Baptist Church at a funeral holding up signs saying "We were wrong."

Until that time comes, well, you'll just have to live with the stupid.
Bringing up the WBC... I find the relationship between them and conservatives pretty stark. They're willing to throw Christianity under the bus in favor of gays, so that the military has respect given to them at their funerals. If a religious conservative could help me understand what I'm seeing on this, I'd be grateful!!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
All of psychology is a fraud. So are dietary supplements. So is faith healing. So is fortune telling, astrology, new-age medicine. So what? And of the rest, most are placebos. If people want to engage in one of these things, they should be able to engage in all. And if one is banned, they all should be.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:

I know two gay people who were subjected to it.

One was sent to gay conversion therapy as a teen and was thrown out of his home when it did not work. His parents, of course, blamed him for "not having enough faith."

Another was sent to gay conversion therapy by her ex in-laws who stated that if she did not at least try to "pray the gay away," they would fight her for sole custody of her son.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:26 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:

By definition half the population is of below average intelligence.

Ken

Old 02-12-2015, 12:29 PM

7,812 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Quote:

It's no different than the fortune telling gypsy frauds, yet they remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies