U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,982,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Reverse discrimination is real, Liberals never talked about it but I will give you some examples of where I have seen it:

Northern New Mexico: Some of the towns in Northern New Mexico are 80% Hispanic- the families have been in the area for 8 generations and have deep ties to the area. Good luck finding a job in these places if you are a White man.

El Paso: Good luck finding a job in El Paso if you don't speak Spanish.

Indian reservation towns: One that comes to mind is Pine Ridge, South Dakota. I look kinda Latin and never felt so unwelcome in a place. They can tell right away that you are not a Native. When I visited the Wounded Knee site, I was practically harassed by several Native panhandling children, to the point where I ended up leaving because it was just too much to handle. Very sad place.
Oh God...........my heart bleeds for you. It truly does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Let me ask you a few very non-PC question. Before I do, I am not afflicted by the ills of PC, so don't try to label me a racist for even asking the question, as it will fall on deaf ears.

Do you consider any race of people sharper (i.e. more intelligent) than average?
Do you consider any race of people physically more capable (i.e. better athletically) than the average?
Do you consider any race of people more motivated (i.e. ambitious) than the average?

`
No. And I don't believe in (biological) race, either.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,293,182 times
Quote:

I get so sick of reading/hearing this absurd tripe proffered now and again. Anyone can be a racist by the true definition of the word, not the contrived PC version.
I acknowledged that. However, in the societal context, blacks can't be racist. They lack the political & social power to discriminate.

Quote:
On a side note, and not giving any credence to your absurd notion, when will blacks consider they have "significant political power" in this country?
We have a POTUS and AG both who are not only black, but favor blacks in virtually every decision/policy they come up with. Heck, the term "my people" has actually been uttered as well when speaking to a black audience, so we know what is in their minds regarding race and identity.
Of course if a white person were to utter the exact same words, leftists would consider it racist. But nary a peep from them when blacks do it.
There are just two black Senators. Two out of 100 doesn't do the demographics any justice.

Also, how many black governors do we have? (hint: zero)

Only two black governors have ever been elected.

Let's not even get into all the gerrymandering also...

Quote:
Let me ask you a few very non-PC question. Before I do, I am not afflicted by the ills of PC, so don't try to label me a racist for even asking the question, as it will fall on deaf ears.
I'll get it out of the way. Racist!

Quote:
Do you consider any race of people sharper (i.e. more intelligent) than average?
No. There are no scientific links between intelligence and race.

Quote:
Do you consider any race of people physically more capable (i.e. better athletically) than the average?
No, there are no scientific links between athletics and race.

There are however, physiological differences based on genetics. This has to do more with a person's somatype than race. A black ectomorph is no more athletic than a white ectomorph, for example.

Quote:
Do you consider any race of people more motivated (i.e. ambitious) than the average?
No. There are no scientific links between motivation and race.

Last edited by Opin_Yunated; 02-13-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 01:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 7,894,674 times
I don't think everyone is racist. But I do think everyone is prejudiced - meaning they "pre-judge" other people based on societal stereotypes and attitudes about particular genders, behaviors, and skin tone.

I am a black woman.

I admit that I think in general - women are smarter than men and more determined and more easily able to multi-task versus men (this was actually proven true by a scientific study!)

I also think most white people look alike and don't see how they think black people look alike when black people run the gamut of skin color from white looking to blue black.

I admit that when I see a lone white man at a playground, I think he is a pedophile looking for victims.

I admit that when I see a particular looking white man, I think he is a serial killer (lol but true, my husband thinks I'm nuts).

I don't have a lot of other regular sorts of prejudices but I have many quirky ones that are of my own thought process based on my own experiences. One that people really think is weird is that I think in many ways that lower income white people are much worse than black due to their dirtiness. I remember telling a friend of mine this and she laughed because she said she always thought white people were clean until she got into inspections for the Section 8 program in a NE state and said that she couldn't believe how filthy the white residents were in comparison to the black - my grandma actually put this one into my mind as she told me if I went to a non-HBCU to not get a white roommate because they were "nasty" lol. I grew up with and went to school with some lower income whites and they were way worse than the project black kids I knew - just as violent, but more dirty and more apt to snort tylenol codeine in 7th grade and do other drugs versus the black kids.

So I know that prejudice exist. Racism is the thought that someone of one race is superior to another. I don't think that and don't know many people who admit that they think that. But I do think a lot of people feel this to be true based on many comments they make.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:

`
Anyone who answers yes to any of those questions would be a racist.

FWIW we are all one race - the human race.

Like I said above, people can and do have prejudices, practically everyone does but to think that someone of a particular skin color is more intelligent, more atheletic or more motivates based in whole or part due to said skin color is racist thought (i.e. that you believe that skin color makes one superior in one or more ways versus another person).

Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,746,737 times
I notice one can say it is culture but then comes the issue of what culture is best... and that leads to charges of racism by you know who.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I notice one can say it is culture but then comes the issue of what culture is best... and that leads to charges of racism by you know who.
I think that when it comes to culture, it does depend on how you are judging those cultures. No culture is better than the other.

Another thing I always think in regards to culture, especially here in the USA is the whole "black culture" thing as if all black people in this country share a distinct, singular culture seperate from other Americans.

Black Americans' culture is "American" and nothing else really. There may be a bit different features based on locale and income demographics but in general black Americans are the same as white Americans for the most part. Black Americans have been in this country since its inception as the USA and we cannot be separate from it. Without blacks in this country there would be no American Culture at all the way we know it. Pop American Culture in particular is very heavily influenced by black innovations in music and fashion in particular.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Most likely because no culture is superior or inferior to any other culture.........only racists or bigots believe differently.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,746,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think that when it comes to culture, it does depend on how you are judging those cultures. No culture is better than the other.

Another thing I always think in regards to culture, especially here in the USA is the whole "black culture" thing as if all black people in this country share a distinct, singular culture seperate from other Americans.

Black Americans' culture is "American" and nothing else really. There may be a bit different features based on locale and income demographics but in general black Americans are the same as white Americans for the most part. Black Americans have been in this country since its inception as the USA and we cannot be separate from it. Without blacks in this country there would be no American Culture at all the way we know it. Pop American Culture in particular is very heavily influenced by black innovations in music and fashion in particular.

I disagree with the part in bold. I am not a cultural historian and do not know the remainder of the post I refer to present day culture. I am not Jewish, nor Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian, etc but live and work among them and their culture is different than mine. There is also a shift(adjustment)for age and income level. Some aspects are better than the one which shaped me and I affirm daily and some are not.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,891,631 times
Quote:

`
Obviously you think claims of racism are mostly frivolous and not to be respected if you think someone will label you for simply asking if THEY believe something.

I will answer your question this way. I strongly believe in the power of self fulfilling prophecy. I think groups who think they are sharper, more intelligent, then must constantly try to live up to that and hence may perform better or "specialize" in that area and then become more successful at it. Its the same way in the physical realm, for example, take sprinting. Why and how does an island of 2 million people, Jamaica, dominate sprint events in a world of 7 billion people? They dominate because the people of the country believe that they can and hence parlayed past success into expectation for success and that leads to a hyper focus on the event, which then results in their great performances.

Once people start getting a reputation or label as something, expectations of them from others and sometimes themselves start to change. People treat them different and the different treatment contributes to making the belief or stereotype manifest as true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or