U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 15 days ago)
 
48,230 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Reputation: 15346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post


You don't have to worry about racist. Anything can harm you or put you at a disadvantage. You have to accept that and work to change it while at the same time work around it and do the best you can.

I am not one to worry about racial things and I am black as well.
I tend to worry about it because I am living in this society, and one goal is to make sure I get my fair shake in this society. Yes, there are many things that can put me at a disadvantage. Racism is one of those things. The best I can do it take responsibility for myself and do what I can that is within my power. If there is a way I can change things, I must do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Status: "I CRAVE Canine-stew" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
16,468 posts, read 16,575,669 times
Reputation: 12462
Yes, by nature, humans group and identify by race (And this basic fact is pretty benign, but can and does cause a LOT more problems.).

Just like gender identification (sexism). Clearly, someone's gender does cause them, in most situations, to group with people of their own gender and more closely identify with people of their own gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:28 PM
 
2,875 posts, read 1,665,215 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Numbers themselves are not racist. The REASON for bringing them up often is. No one denies what statistics are saying regarding crime and race. Numbers in themselves aren't the issue. It is the fact that people will bring those numbers up to justify their hatred for a certain ethnicity, the fact that people will bring it up as a way of saying "see, those people are no good, avoid all of them, even the 'good' ones". It is those persons who will used the statistics as a way of justifying treating people of a certain race with contempt.

And something else. Numbers do not always tell everything. Numbers might say "there is a higher proportion of murders coming from Black males than anyone else". That statistic might be true. However, that is ALL it tells you. It doesn't tell you which segment of the Black male population those murders are coming from. It doesn't take into account the situation under which the murders took place, who got murdered, the mentality of that person, the education level of that murderer, whether or not that murderer was employed or unemployed at the time of the murder. criminal record, and other variables.
Do you see a great number of people using statistics to say that all "those people" are no good. I don't. You're making a straw man argument. I usually see people bring up statistics during discussions about race to refute false assertions made about race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 15 days ago)
 
48,230 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Reputation: 15346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Do you see a great number of people using statistics to say that all "those people" are no good. I don't. You're making a straw man argument. I usually see people bring up statistics during discussions about race to refute false assertions made about race.
Actually, I'm describing what I see on the forums and threads. I can pull up thread after thread constantly complaining about Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:35 PM
 
Location: USA
19,774 posts, read 14,711,039 times
Reputation: 12764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Remember for most of human history the tribe/village over the hill or across the river was your mortal enemy, and they would have looked the same as you and spoke with a slightly different dialect, so your brain was wired to be suspicious of even similar outsiders due to the long-standing clan/tribal nature of human conflict.

(Nations are a relatively new invention after all)

Throw in people who look vastly different than you, and perhaps there is an autonomic reaction (thus making "everybody racist")

For what it's worth I think "race" is a largely American phenomenon(most people identify with a particular ethno-tribal entity like Bavarian, Igbo, Hmong, Basque, Uyghur, etc.). One need only travel to the Balkans or a multi-ethnic African nation to see the old tribal roots of conflict in place. And to an outsider they're all going to look the same, but they sure as hell can tell the difference amongst one another.
Right on all accounts. It's an innate reaction towards people who are different then you. It might be the way they look, act, sound or smell. It has kept people safe from outside tribes since the beginning of mankind. You see babies and dogs react differently towards people of different races all the time. You have to learn not to discern people by race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:43 PM
 
2,875 posts, read 1,665,215 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I'm describing what I see on the forums and threads. I can pull up thread after thread constantly complaining about Blacks.
Well, I don't come to these forums as much as you so I'll have to take your word on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
5,941 posts, read 2,705,676 times
Reputation: 5617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
The fact that none of the above happened is obviously a pretty severe problem.



Would you say that observing the scene of a shooting makes you a thug? Because that is exactly what many conservatives, as well as Ferguson Police, did.

Unfortunately a Jury seemed to think otherwise, so what you think is moot.

Yep, I would call the person a thug, if he witnessed the shooting and was with the thug that committed a Felony Assault and Robbery in broad daylight, and/or lied to Police about what happened at the shooting. In fact, "Thug" would be very, very, light about what I did call them.

To go a bit further, there where a whole pack of "Thugs" at the protests too. The ones who smashed windows, looted, and shot at police. Yep, Thugs and Criminals.

How's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:49 PM
 
10,796 posts, read 4,033,641 times
Reputation: 5238
Everything seen through the prism of race. Relentless name calling, hatefulness, and personal attacks.

If these aren't the hallmarks of a racist, then I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 05:00 PM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,890,314 times
Reputation: 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You aren't very consistent. Earlier you wrote:



If I have ten random Blacks and ten random Asians and I was to place a bet on which group scored better on a math test, I'd pick the Asians, because statistically that's the winning bet. The odds are very slim that I would be wrong. But that observation isn't racist according to you, except when it is. I think you need to think harder about what you're writing.
Regardless of probability....the probability is based upon race. You are saying that you believe that Asians are smarter at math than blacks, for no other reason than race. That is racist.


Racism
noun
1.
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
2.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.


The definition of racism says nothing about statistics....just BELIEFS. Hence, you have beliefs about races that says one group is superior than another.....you just base it on statistics....but it's still a belief. Here is the thing: You have to make assumption in real life that the situation is actually RANDOM. How do you know it is a random group if you do not know the backgrounds of the people involved? The thing about the application of statistics to real life is how do you know the situation is a microcosm of the statistic? YOU DON'T....yet you pass judgment then based upon race alone.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-17-2015 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
5,941 posts, read 2,705,676 times
Reputation: 5617
Fact is some people do not like other people, and it can be for the color of their skin, their gender, their religion, or even National Origin. Its always been that way, and always will be that way. Some one came up with the word "Racist" so everyone now wants to deny it because its been made a derogatory label.

Guess what. Its not illegal, and folks have a right to dislike others based on any criteria they choose. That's one of our freedoms. We don't have to agree with or like anyone, if we choose not to.

I don't consider myself a "racist" but there are a lot of people I have no use for, and some of them are black and some are not. I watched the Brown episodes on TV and watched people chanting "Hands Up Don't Shoot" and I chanted "Pants Up Don't Loot." does that make me a racist? If so, good deal and I don't care. So if someone says your racist, big deal. Does anyone really care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top