U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:57 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,536,096 times

Advertisements

Yes, everyone can be considered racist.

If I say I don't want to go through a war zone area of town, and that area is a mostly (like 99%) black area, someone could spin that into me being racist because I don't want to embrace diversity in all its different forms.

Next question: Would I care if someone made that claim? Especially if it came from an internet persona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 02:00 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,273,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Media???

No, I got that information right here on City-Data, from posts written by people who call Black teenagers 'thugs'.

Actually, it must be what YOU want me to think, since that word is used so often when describing Black teenagers.
Who often come across as "wannabe" thugs.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:01 PM

24,757 posts, read 34,033,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Who often come across as "wannabe" thugs.
As do teenagers of all ethnicities.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM

10,294 posts, read 6,319,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Do you agree with this statement? I am not White, I am Lebanese/Italian ethnically, so I usually check Other when they ask me about my race.

I dislike racism and intolerance but when I take a look at my own actions, I am guilty of excluding people from a certain race based on my own experiences and stereotypes.

Heck, I have lost a job once because I used a "racist" term on the phone and it was total slip of the tongue, so when I hear especially White people say that they are not racist , even when they use racial slurs, trust me, I know what they mean.

I am not by any means trying to justify racism and exclusion as acceptable. I am sure I have had it done to me, even though I always give people the benefit of the doubt and I never buy into the whole race card/victim mentality BS.

So, do you think everybody is racist to a certain degree?
Absolutely to a certain degree, some more than others.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM

93 posts, read 61,056 times
I hope not but I have observed that some people are racist and are unaware of it. They are typically very defensive people who start conversations with "I'm racist or anything, BUT..."

Old 02-12-2015, 02:15 PM

17,184 posts, read 8,706,465 times
if i was to bet on who's better suited to slamm dunk a b ball? does this qualify?

Old 02-12-2015, 02:17 PM

34,393 posts, read 18,660,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Thug

noun 1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

2. (sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

Thug | Define Thug at Dictionary.com

I don't see anything about baggy pants hanging, sideways hats and gold chain in the definition
I don't see anything about skin color either...yet you very clearly say there is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, because as everyone knows (including you) the word 'thug' has become the new word for Black teenager. Can't use the other word anymore, so new words have to be made up.

Thug:
a brutal ruffian or assassin

How do you know if someone who wears gold chains and a sideways hat is really a thug?
Fashions come and go.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,725,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
self preservation... America made sure it was built with race being a primary factor. No one wants to be "that group" so they make sure to point fingers at the people over there with different skin.
I fixed it for you.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, you are simply stupid, because appearance (and I have never seen anyone who fits the above description in toto, except maybe in a comedy skit) does not dictate or correlate with behavior.
Thanks for the insult....

So because you NEVER see it, it NEVER happens.....

Hell, go to your local wal-mart and look around...

Old 02-12-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
why do you need to call someone a name? what purpose does it serve?

I would call you a bigot moreso than a racist.
Why do I get called a racist, for telling the truth....

Disregard what I said earlier, some people took that to literal...."So if I say" is not the same as "when I say"...

Anyway, If I say, I don't like dread locks.....does that make me racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or