U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 PM

33,242 posts, read 20,081,203 times

Advertisements

No Not at all

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=racist+definition

I never believe there is a superior race, but I do believe there are superior individuals in every race.

Prejudice, perhaps, but I do not believe for a second everybody is a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:40 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,719,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Or, in other words, no it did not happen.

And this is skipping directly past examples like Richard Sherman, Common, the people of Ferguson and the Preisdent.

So let's get things back into focus. The plain fact is,too many conservatives have gotten into the habit of calling people "thugs" based entirely on their skin color. And yes, this is racist. That's the end of the matter, really.
I don't think black folks are thugs. Just TM. He bragged on twitter about beating a bus driver. He was suspended from school multiple times for behavior problems. His mother sent him from Miami to live with his father because she no longer knew what to do with this kid. It was testified in court that he made racist remarks. He was found with stolen jewelry and burglary tools.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:27 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, being racist is, to a certain extent, a natural human instinct.

To group and identify with those who are most like you is natural...and there is nothing really wrong with it. Letting this instinct turn into hatred for your fellow man, now that is bad!
That is not what the definition of racism is. Do you all just make up slit to meet your need as you go along?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:43 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,819,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
My post stands, so put your "i got ya" back in your pocket...

You are the one who said, you get it right here on CD,...

Again, here on CD....I suppose 1 of those hundred would be lexusnexus or what ever the name is...
Yes, I get right here on C-D that the word 'thug' is used as a euphemism for Black teenagers.

You stated that I get my 'everyday info' (whatever that is) from C-D.

No, I am speaking specifically about the word 'thug'.

Not my problem if you jump all over it and mistakenly extrapolate that I get my news from C-D.

Back in your court!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,819,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
First of all, the term "people of color' is as fundamentally racist a term as you are likely to see used on this board. The idea is that somehow there is a divide between non-"people of color" (Europeans "whites") and everyone else. That is racism as pure and refined as you are ever likely to see.

Second, even if your prediction was accurate, that is not what a thug is. A thug is based on a persons bad conduct and not their skin color. Anyone with enough of an anti-social attitude can be a thug.

Of course if there is a chip on the shoulder crowd that is eager to use this as yet another reason to play the race (victim) card, that is their problem and not anything that anyone should give any serious consideration or deference to.
I don't use the term 'people of color' and have rarely if ever seen that used in this forum. Saying 'people of color' makes me think of purple and green people!

I am well aware of what an actual thug is. When the numerous threads start about a Black committing a crime (never a thread on a Caucasian committing a crime, mind you), the consensus is that person is a thug, even though he or she has not even been tried in a court of law, and is supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. There are numerous, nay, TREMENDOUS amounts of threads of this type.

If you deny the fact that there are racist people you are contributing to the problem, whether you, yourself, are not a racist and bigot.

Last edited by Fox Terrier; 02-12-2015 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 06:03 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,509,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I don't use the term 'people of color' and have rarely if ever seen that used in this forum. Saying 'people of color' makes me think of purple and green people!
I hate when people use this term "people of color", it sounds so ignorant. A few months ago, I was watching CNN and that stupid woman, Ana Navarro, was talking to Don Lemmon and some other Black dude and she said, "We are all people of color".

So Hispanics are people of color? I have heard some some Hispanics call themselves "White Hispanics".

Old 02-12-2015, 06:17 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,320,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I don't think black folks are thugs. Just TM. He bragged on twitter about beating a bus driver. He was suspended from school multiple times for behavior problems. His mother sent him from Miami to live with his father because she no longer knew what to do with this kid. It was testified in court that he made racist remarks. He was found with stolen jewelry and burglary tools.
you continue to make false claims. It does not make you look good.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:27 PM

3,870 posts, read 1,635,651 times
Yep. It's just how the human brain is wired. Accept it and deal with it whitey.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:29 PM

16,921 posts, read 11,807,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Do you agree with this statement? I am not White, I am Lebanese/Italian ethnically, so I usually check Other when they ask me about my race.

I dislike racism and intolerance but when I take a look at my own actions, I am guilty of excluding people from a certain race based on my own experiences and stereotypes.

Heck, I have lost a job once because I used a "racist" term on the phone and it was total slip of the tongue, so when I hear especially White people say that they are not racist , even when they use racial slurs, trust me, I know what they mean.

I am not by any means trying to justify racism and exclusion as acceptable. I am sure I have had it done to me, even though I always give people the benefit of the doubt and I never buy into the whole race card/victim mentality BS.

So, do you think everybody is racist to a certain degree?
Of course everyone is racist!

We just have to get the social justice crowd and their converts, who now believe they are eternal victims, to admit humans are imperfect and the threshold set for determining if some one is racist, is set too low at zero tolerance. Racism as currently measured, would disappear if the bar was raised just a millimeter off the subfloor. Victims could then shed the yoke of oppression but where would that leave those with social justice careers?

The threshold also mandates that the utterance of a banned word is the equivalent of a cross burning bigot with evil in his heart. This zero tolerance makes everyone an enemy of a potential friend.

Give us humans some slack!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:32 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
We all are prejudiced which often is mistaken for racist. The primary use is for survival by profiling. Ask for example what a Tea Party members is and you will get a lot of prejudiced answers just by their profiling the type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or