Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Actually I believe the term the OP is going for is Bigot.

And yes everyone has a little bit inside. Some ostensibly more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 AM

87 posts, read 90,541 times
I dont think everyone is racist. Some people are, well alot of people are.

I do think every single person in the world is prejudiced to some extent, it just so happens that most people can recognize that it is not rational and you cant apply your prejudices across any group, whatever they may be.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
If you form your opinions of other races based on how you were raised, and have no experiences with the other races, then I believe that would classify you as racist.

If you have many negative interactions with a particular race, and you form your views based on these experiences, does that make you a racist?

If I have been bitten by dogs on several occasions, then am I not correct in wanting to stay away from dogs? Not all dogs will bite you.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, now, if I call someone a thug, because his pants are down around his a$$, hat sideways, gold chains hanging, am I racist, if so, why?

Thug

noun 1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

2. (sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

Thug | Define Thug at Dictionary.com

I don't see anything about baggy pants hanging, sideways hats and gold chain in the definition

Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Yep, now, if I call someone a thug, because his pants are down around his a$$, hat sideways, gold chains hanging, am I racist, if so, why?
I wouldn't call a person like that a thug. because what makes a person a thug is their actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
The problem is, people tend to call someone a "thug", when they're wearing a suit and tie (eg. President Obama), or a hoodie in the rain in winter (eg. Trayvon Martin), or shorts and a t shirt in the summer(eg. nearly every black person in Ferguson,), or pants at their waist and a knit hat (eg. Common), or a football uniform (eg. Richard Sherman), because of their skin color. So it's likely best to use the term only if one knows that the person is a violent criminal. Otherwise, you'll simply end up sounding exactly like someone who believes in the Reconstruction-era "black brute" racial stereotype.

Is everyone racist? No. But some people are.
Trayvon is called a thug because of his thug behavior which included threatening to beat up a bus driver, being in possession of what was most surely stolen jewelry and going MMA ground and pound on neighborhood watch.

Would you say that a person in Ferguson looting a liquor store is a thug? I would.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Only whites are racist. Specifically whites of European descent. More specifically, Euro-whites who don't agree with *******s.
And there you have it.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
No, you are simply stupid, because appearance (and I have never seen anyone who fits the above description in toto, except maybe in a comedy skit) does not dictate or correlate with behavior.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I say it all the time... telling it like it is......is racist to some. Too bad for them.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
why do you need to call someone a name? what purpose does it serve?

I would call you a bigot moreso than a racist.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I say it all the time... telling it like it is......is racist to some. Too bad for them.
while looking in the mirror...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies