Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 08:51 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Today, to be a Conservative, is synonymous with being a racist.
That is one of the most racist statements you can make. Actually, it's racist and very ignorant. But you probably already know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
I think suggesting that EVERYONE is racist might be a strategy used by the demographic that usually gets accused to "normalize" the behavior so that their group may avoid the moral injury of the association.

I often find in debates the first strategy is to deny that racism is a problem or issue. When that strategy fails then the strategy is to argue that blacks are just as racist, if not more or argue that everyone is racist, thus removing any perceptions of moral inferiority as it relates to the issue of race.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That is one of the most racist statements you can make. Actually, it's racist and very ignorant. But you probably already know that.

Give me the conservative position on why black poverty is 3 times the rate of white poverty and why unemployment is twice as high. If you or any conservative can answer that without it inferring that blacks are inherently somehow less intelligent, less responsible, less loving and less hardworking....I will join you in the condemnation of the claim as well.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:01 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
okay - thats insane that you said something that bad on the phone, so that isn't normal

with that being said "racisim" is a natural by product of evolution. It allowed our early ancestors to fear others who were potentially dangerous, etc.

so yeah - everyone is racist

its in our genes

but that doesn't make you say stupid things on the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Do you agree with this statement? I am not White, I am Lebanese/Italian ethnically, so I usually check Other when they ask me about my race.

I dislike racism and intolerance but when I take a look at my own actions, I am guilty of excluding people from a certain race based on my own experiences and stereotypes.

Heck, I have lost a job once because I used a "racist" term on the phone and it was total slip of the tongue, so when I hear especially White people say that they are not racist , even when they use racial slurs, trust me, I know what they mean.

I am not by any means trying to justify racism and exclusion as acceptable. I am sure I have had it done to me, even though I always give people the benefit of the doubt and I never buy into the whole race card/victim mentality BS.

So, do you think everybody is racist to a certain degree?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
All humans are people of color. Have you ever met a colorless person?

Technically speaking, white is a reflection of all color bands and black is a reflection of none. So only a pure black person would NOT be a person of color.
And of course "white" people are not actually white and "black" people are not actually black. We are all different shades of brown.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:05 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I do not believe everybody is racist.

There's a massive difference between racist stereotypes and institutionalized racism.

I have friends who believe Asians are bad drivers, they judge based on stereotypes, but I would not call them racists. My friends are not perfect, but they are pleasant, awesome, great people. They are NOT racists at all.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:07 AM

If one generally believes that equal opportunity exist and that everyone has a fair shot in life and that groups and or peoples are not encumbered presently by things in the past.....then they are likely racist because nothing else then explains why black poverty is 3 times that of whites and black unemployment it twice that of white or why violent crime rates are so much higher for blacks than whites. You might be a racist.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
No. Everyone isn't racist.

If you're a racist, own up to it and stop trying to use the "everyone is racist" nonsense to justify your own sentiments.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think suggesting that EVERYONE is racist might be a strategy used by the demographic that usually gets accused to "normalize" the behavior so that their group may avoid the moral injury of the association.

I often find in debates the first strategy is to deny that racism is a problem or issue. When that strategy fails then the strategy is to argue that blacks are just as racist, if not more or argue that everyone is racist, thus removing any perceptions of moral inferiority as it relates to the issue of race.
Your first paragraph hits the nail perfectly on the head.

I don't know why they just won't own it. If you're a racist, be proud of your distinction and ride with it. Don't try to normalize it so as to avoid any fallout from the position you've taken. If it's such a principled stance, carry that flag and let everyone know that's where you stand.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Your first paragraph hits the nail perfectly on the head.

I don't know why they just won't own it. If you're a racist, be proud of your distinction and ride with it. Don't try to normalize it so as to avoid any fallout from the position you've taken. If it's such a principled stance, carry that flag and let everyone know that's where you stand.
Its because they can't have their cake and eat it too. You cannot claim moral superiority while demonstrating moral inferiority.....so they need to normalize the affliction....or even more absurd, make others out to be worse. The thing too.....if they came out in mass with the admission.....it would legitimize many argument from the "left" and bump the credit limit on the "Race Card" account...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies