Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A racist person, meaning someone who picks people based on their skin color.

That seems to be a popular thing to do among politicians these days, even though it is racist.
Must be nice to write your own dictionary. That way you are always right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Must be nice to write your own dictionary. That way you are always right.
no, he right but he left out a word

A racist person, meaning someone who picks (on), people based on their skin color.

That seems to be a popular thing to do among politicians these days, even though it is racist.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no, he right but he left out a word

A racist person, meaning someone who picks (on), people based on their skin color.

Unless the pic is the result of assumptions of superiority or inferiority, and or racist, that is not racism. For example, if there are ten guys that you do not know how well they can play and you are picking a team for pick up basketball and you pick the 4 black guys.....that is racist. If you need someone to figure out a math problem and you pic the Asian guy....that is racist. If something comes up missing out of your locker and you pick the black guy out of a mixed poos of suspects....that's racist.

I

Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Racist is moving beyond color I see. Oh well. Another cross to bear.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I disagree with the part in bold. I am not a cultural historian and do not know the remainder of the post I refer to present day culture. I am not Jewish, nor Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian, etc but live and work among them and their culture is different than mine. There is also a shift(adjustment)for age and income level. Some aspects are better than the one which shaped me and I affirm daily and some are not.
On what metric do you base your presumption of "better?"

I stated that no one culture is better than the other. I stand by that statement due to the fact that there is no particular metric that can pin point what is best in regards to culture without having some sort of bias. So those cultures you live and work with are indeed different but yours is no better or worse than theirs.

In another comment you brought up your culture being "better" due to not speaking profanity. Many people don't have an issue with profanity so would value those expressions more than your profanity-less conversation. So in that respect, you would have the inferior/worse culture since you don't use profanity.

See..."better" or "worse" is based on one's individual perspective and biases against specific actions and/or behaviors. There is no way to determine with certainty that someone's culture is better than anothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, there are other people who have to worry about those who are racists. The worry comes from having to consider what a racist person will do, if given enough people. I'm talking about hiring decisions, public policies,etc.
You don't have to worry about racist. Anything can harm you or put you at a disadvantage. You have to accept that and work to change it while at the same time work around it and do the best you can.

I am not one to worry about racial things and I am black as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:23 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Unless the pic is the result of assumptions of superiority or inferiority, and or racist, that is not racism. For example, if there are ten guys that you do not know how well they can play and you are picking a team for pick up basketball and you pick the 4 black guys.....that is racist. If you need someone to figure out a math problem and you pic the Asian guy....that is racist. If something comes up missing out of your locker and you pick the black guy out of a mixed poos of suspects....that's racist.

I
So in your mind, statistics and probability are also racist.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Not in the observation.....but in the explanation of why the statistics are skewed in the first place. Statistics are not racist....but racist sure use a lot of statistics.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Not in the observation.....but in the explanation of why the statistics are skewed in the first place. Statistics are not racist....but racist sure use a lot of statistics.
You aren't very consistent. Earlier you wrote:

Quote:
If you need someone to figure out a math problem and you pic the Asian guy....that is racist.
If I have ten random Blacks and ten random Asians and I was to place a bet on which group scored better on a math test, I'd pick the Asians, because statistically that's the winning bet. The odds are very slim that I would be wrong. But that observation isn't racist according to you, except when it is. I think you need to think harder about what you're writing.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On what metric do you base your presumption of "better?"

I stated that no one culture is better than the other. I stand by that statement due to the fact that there is no particular metric that can pin point what is best in regards to culture without having some sort of bias. So those cultures you live and work with are indeed different but yours is no better or worse than theirs.
You seem to think that an inability to make a judgement call is somehow noble. If you have any types of values whatsoever, then of course not cultures would be seen as equal. Some are going to be better than others. On which metric? Pick one.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:15 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Numbers themselves are not racist. The REASON for bringing them up often is. No one denies what statistics are saying regarding crime and race. Numbers in themselves aren't the issue. It is the fact that people will bring those numbers up to justify their hatred for a certain ethnicity, the fact that people will bring it up as a way of saying "see, those people are no good, avoid all of them, even the 'good' ones". It is those persons who will used the statistics as a way of justifying treating people of a certain race with contempt.

And something else. Numbers do not always tell everything. Numbers might say "there is a higher proportion of murders coming from Black males than anyone else". That statistic might be true. However, that is ALL it tells you. It doesn't tell you which segment of the Black male population those murders are coming from. It doesn't take into account the situation under which the murders took place, who got murdered, the mentality of that person, the education level of that murderer, whether or not that murderer was employed or unemployed at the time of the murder. criminal record, and other variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies