Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,737,877 times

Advertisements

A college education teaches one to thrive in subjectivity and ambiguity, a necessary skill in the political world where few things are black and white. In the dynamic environment of our country there is not typically one right answer when you make decisions. Higher education helps one see every issue from multiple perspectives.

The scientific method is valuable, with its emphasis on logic and reason, especially when dealing with policies that relate to our ever increasing advances in science, medicine, and technology.

Most importantly, obtaining a college degree, demonstrates discipline, commitment, and the ability to follow through on a challenging endeavor. Dropping out of college, particularly after attending for over three years, demonstrates; inability to focus in order to complete goals, lack of discipline, poor judgment, and disregard for the money wasted to pay for the first three years.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:28 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,344,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who in congress, or what president, has a degree in video game design?

I am guessing that most people here, who don't think the leader of the free world should have a higher education, doesn't have an education beyond high school.

Only those who have earned college degrees, appreciate the caliber of useful knowledge obtained from higher education.
What a load of smug, self important, elitist crap. Your guess is about as accurate as the rest of your views, completely wrong.

Quote:
A college education teaches one to thrive in subjectivity and ambiguity, a necessary skill in the political world where few things are black and white. In the dynamic environment of our country there is not typically one right answer when you make decisions. Higher education helps one see every issue from multiple perspectives.

The scientific method is valuable, with its emphasis on logic and reason, especially when dealing with policies that relate to our ever increasing advances in science, medicine, and technology.

Most importantly, obtaining a college degree, demonstrates discipline, commitment, and the ability to follow through on a challenging endeavor. Dropping out of college, particularly after attending for over three years, demonstrates; inability to focus in order to complete goals, lack of discipline, poor judgment, and disregard for the money wasted to pay for the first three years.
No it doesn't, not in the least. A college degree demonstrates the ability to PAY TUITION. Of course today it's also teaching people it's Ok to default on loads, that it's Ok to not keep their word and let other people take care of their responsibilities.

You make the incorrect assumption that every degree and every school is the same. There are thousands of degrees that don't teach any of that, that aren't hard to get and prove absolutely nothing beyond that they paid for it.

Higher education does not help people see "every issue from multiple perspectives" when the teachers and administration are overwhelmingly from one point of view and stress that viewpoint. The only people who don't see that are the people who agree with them.

Decades of life and experience teach FAR more than 4 years of campus life while someone else pays the bills.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
25% of US president did not graduate college (or earn a degree), the most recent one being Harry Truman.
Although Truman is the only president since the 19th century to serve as president without at least a Bachelor’s, he obtained the office only because FDR died. The last time Americans elected a new president who didn't have a degree was McKinley in 1896.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,795,200 times
I would definitely vote for someone that did not have a LAW degree.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What a load of smug, self important, elitist crap. Your guess is about as accurate as the rest of your views, completely wrong.

No it doesn't, not in the least. A college degree demonstrates the ability to PAY TUITION. Of course today it's also teaching people it's Ok to default on loads, that it's Ok to not keep their word and let other people take care of their responsibilities.

You make the incorrect assumption that every degree and every school is the same. There are thousands of degrees that don't teach any of that, that aren't hard to get and prove absolutely nothing beyond that they paid for it.

Higher education does not help people see "every issue from multiple perspectives" when the teachers and administration are overwhelmingly from one point of view and stress that viewpoint. The only people who don't see that are the people who agree with them.

Decades of life and experience teach FAR more than 4 years of campus life while someone else pays the bills.
Why pay tuition for 3 and half years and then dropout, as Walker did? Is that a good use of his parent's hard earned money?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Any politician who doesn’t appreciate a college level science education, is not vested in this country’s future. How much future economic growth will there be for countries that are scientifically illiterate?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:44 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,119,598 times
Quote:
Any politician who doesn’t appreciate a college level science education, is not vested in this country’s future. How much future economic growth will there be for countries that are scientifically illiterate?
So I guess that means you"ll be voting Dr. Benjermin Carson? Didn't think so?

Last edited by 14Bricks; 02-14-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 08:46 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,760,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I would assuming they have at least accomplished something. A college degree is nothing but a piece of paper saying you're qualified to do X and have spend $200,000 to get said paper. It means nothing to someone's intelligence or ability to lead.

But as I said, an accomplishment of some kind is necessary. For example, military officers who advanced their military career could reasonably be trusted without a college degree. Or people who became successful without one. Steve Jobs (he's dead, which is why I use him for the example) had no degree, but was clearly intelligent and probably would be a decent president (though even when he was alive, I can't imagine he'd ever run).

I'm very much against the idea that schooling=intelligence. It's a scheme to systematical **** poor people or those who don't want to waste their time (and money).
I agree with most of what you said, however, an officer must have a college degree. An enlisted person without a degree might become a field commissioned officer, however it's fairly rare. I believe the highest rank they can attain is First Lieutenant.

Becoming a Military Officer

Audie Murphy is a good example. He was discharged as a First Lieutenant (with no formal education) and was the most decorated soldier in US history. He did attain the rank of Major, but that was in the TNG years later.

Audie's Military Service

Old 02-14-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
So I guess that means you"lol be voting Dr. Benjermin Carson? Didn't think so?
I will be voting for someone with the fortitude and diligence to complete what they started ( a college degree). We don't need quitters leading our country.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:53 AM

39,029 posts, read 27,438,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Okay now this just makes me angry.

What an astoundingly stupid and insulting POV.

I'm all for higher education, but it was not applicable to my life. To assume that everyone who doesn't have a degree has no itinitive, foresight or restraint is simply without merit. The amount of drive and intelligence it takes for people to work their way up from nothing and be successful out the gate, by themselves, at that young age is immense. You have no idea.

The list above is laughable. Are you seriously trying to tell me I'm only capable of rising to retail store manager? Ha!

You're certainly not making the case here that college educated people are superior. To the contrary.

That's a shame, because there are enough people that think education is for snobs as it is. You really aren't helping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
^^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!! I whole heartedly agree FinsterRufus.
I agree with you both. BOLDED = GOLD

Although I have two college degrees, I won't judge others without college education. Matter of fact, I have met many brilliant people (software engineers, artists, etc) without college degree.

Yes: the man whose name now equates to “genius”; who published more than 300 scientific papers; the man behind E=MC2; the man who came up with the theory of relativity; and the man who won a Nobel prize—was in fact a high school dropout.

He attempted to get into university, but initially failed the entrance exams. He eventually made it into college and earned a degree, of course

But the simple fact of the matter is that the greatest mind of the twentieth century was in fact a high school dropout.

Can you guess who this person is?

I value higher education, but based on posts in this thread, many people who judge others based on college education certainly sound judgmental. (Perhaps these people live a very sheltered life.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies