Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:41 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I don't think we are looking for the president to have an art degree.

BTW, earning degrees in business or the STEM majors are real work.

I am baffled by the anti-education rhetoric from the right to dumb down America. Can't they find a candidate with some qualifications? First Sarah, now a college dropout.

List of Presidents of the United States by education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sure, but a lot of Presidents have been groomed since birth. They follow a path laid out for a political future. They come from families who know how to work the system, from pre school on. They are expected to follow the road laid out for the purpose of political gain, not to necessarily become educated for education's sake.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Sure, but a lot of Presidents have been groomed since birth. They follow a path laid out for a political future. They come from families who know how to work the system, from pre school on. They are expected to follow the road laid out for the purpose of political gain, not to necessarily become educated for education's sake.

Which presidents are you referring to?

Old 02-14-2015, 03:52 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Which presidents are you referring to?
JFK and the Bushes, off the top of my head.

That made it, anyway. I should have included candidates and wannabes, who've been sent to all the right Prep Schools etc in perpetration, but failed to make the cut. After all, there's only been 44 so far.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:55 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I don't think we are looking for the president to have an art degree.

BTW, earning degrees in business or the STEM majors are real work.

List of Presidents of the United States by education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yale University has the best art program, UCLA ranked number four. If you do not believe art degree is real work, I don't know what to tell you.

Many of my classmates at UCLA earned their masters degree and built their portfolio at Art institute.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:05 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Nor forget Thomas Edison, who was bored by school. No drive, no persistence. A biographer described him thusly in the classroom, "Young Edison was prone to distraction, he was deemed "difficult" by his teacher." Just a quitter, right.

What a subjectively bogus criterion.
I haven't read some of the later posts on this thread, so this may have already been mentioned, but wasn't Albert Einstein also a poor student? Sometimes super geniuses are really too smart to stay focused on subjects that are not challenging to them.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
Never saw the inside of a school of any kind:
Andrew Carnegie
Coco Chanel
Mary Kay Ash
Henry Ford

High School Drop Outs:
Richard Branson
Walt Disney
Simon Cowell
Kirk Kerkorian
Quentin Tarantino
Mike Hudack
David Karp
George Foreman
Carl Henry Lindner Jr
Vidal Sassoon

College Drop Outs:
Larry Ellison
Ted Turner
Ralph Lauren
Howard Hughes
Giorgio Armani
Jenny Craig
Rachel Ray
Steve Jobs
Bill Gates
Paul Allen
Michael Dell
Mark Zuckerberg

I'm pretty sure none of these folks were lazy, had no initiative or losers. Again, I'm ALL for education but you can't tell me you can't be successful without that piece of paper.
You could add Scott Walker to the list of College Drop Outs who did well, considering he's the governor of a state.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yale University has the best art program, UCLA ranked number four. If you do not believe art degree is real work, I don't know what to tell you.

Many of my classmates at UCLA earned their masters degree and built their portfolio at Art institute.

You were the one who posted that your degree in art was nothing to brag about. Degrees in the STEM majors are something to brag about.

Last edited by jojajn; 02-14-2015 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You were the one who posted that your degree in art was nothing to brag about. Degrees in the STEM majors is something to brag about.
No, I am only correcting you because you believe art degree is not real work.

I am telling you yes it is. It is real work. You cannot be accepted by Yale simply because you can draw couple of sketches. It seems like you are living a sheltered life.

Matter of fact, I do not know anybody with a college education look down on anybody who don't have one. But that is my experience.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No, I am only correcting you because you believe art degree is not real work.

I am telling you yes it is. It is real work. It seems like you are living a sheltered life.

Matter of fact, I do not know anybody with a college education look down on anybody who don't have one. But that is my experience.
I know people who look down on people without degrees.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know people who look down on people without degrees.
The evidence is in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies