U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 AM

15,740 posts, read 9,263,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This type of anti intellectual thinking is dangerous. It has bad consequences.

We can't go around teaching our children the value of an education, then willy nilly vote in a chief executive to run the most powerful nation on Earth that isn't at least college educated.

Most schoolteachers need a degree. Most CEO's need a degree. But running the United States SHOULDN'T require a degree at a minimum?

It's not that hard to get a Bachelor's Degree. It really isn't. Getting a liberal arts education is extremely important for a worldly man...which presidents should be in spades.

Voting in a guy that you'd wanna share a beer with sounds cool, but it's actually not the greatest idea.
Voting for an elitist academic with zero real-world experience is not the greatest idea either.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:29 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,878,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Obama has a degree, and has proved to be the worst administrator in recent history.

Walker has no degree (although he does have a college education) and has proved to be a very effective administrator.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have voted for Walker in any case?
A lot of Wisconsinites would disagree with your assessment of Walker. Having promised to create 250,000 jobs in one term, Wisconsin has created only 100,000.

His initial moves against public sector unions were so unpopular that he was subjected to a recall election.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM

6,951 posts, read 2,539,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
His initial moves against public sector unions were so unpopular that he was subjected to a recall election.
Which he won, followed by winning reelection in 2014.

Looks like his moves are popular enough to give him 3 electoral wins in 4 years.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:43 PM

8,088 posts, read 4,426,044 times
Just cannot figure out how a guy so hated by a few academe, students and unionistas can keep winning the elections in a state, the way he does. I've reviewed the three Gubernatorial election maps. It is the same half-dozen counties that keep voting against him. All centered around UW Madison and UW Milwaukee. Pretty clear.

EDIT: In the 2008 and agaqin in the 2012 Presidential Election, percentages like Mr Walker's below have been referred too as 'landslide', 'mandate', and such. Must be.

For comparison; Pres Obama's election results.
2008 66,882,230 53.0% 58,343,671 46.0

2012 65,918,507 51.01% 60,934,407 47.15%

Gov. Walker
2010 Original Gubernatorial Election - Walker v Barrett 52.25% (1,128,941) v 46.48% (1,004,303)

2012 Recall - Walker v Barrett 53.1% (1,335,585) v 46.3% (1,164,480) Voter turnout in the election was 57.8 percent, the highest for a gubernatorial election not on a presidential ballot in Wisconsin history.

2014 Reelection ( I think of this one as the "Ok, Let's try the war on women angle." Democrat failed strategy.) - Walker v Burke 52.3% (1,259,162) v 46.6% (1,121,555).

Quote:
A lot of Wisconsinites would disagree with your assessment of Walker. Having promised to create 250,000 jobs in one term, Wisconsin has created only 100,000.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,442,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Obama has a degree, and has proved to be the worst administrator in recent history.

Walker has no degree (although he does have a college education) and has proved to be a very effective administrator.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have voted for Walker in any case?
Lol, hilarious! You realize that all three branches of wisconsin state government is republican, right? So, any little legislation that Walker or his buds think up will obviously pass, regardless if it's beneficial to the state. Now, how has he proven to be effectiv when all branches are holding each other's hands? That's what they call serving it up on a platter.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:46 PM

15,489 posts, read 7,900,314 times
No I wouldn't.

If a receptionist has to have a college degree, so does the president in my mind.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:50 PM

11,090 posts, read 4,879,637 times
If I agreed with their plans and stances, I absolutely would.

As a matter of fact, that would probably be a bonus point -- because they are likelier to be more aware of the challenges people face, and are probably more down to earth.

UNLESS they didn't go to college because they were born into a wealthy family and didn't have to make any effort to secure their future. I would be extremely wary of someone like that, especially if they were right wingers.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 02-13-2015 at 12:58 PM..

15,489 posts, read 7,900,314 times
Quote:
Also according to the article, he was many credits short of graduating after 4 years, having spent his time politicking in student government rather than doing coursework. I think that speaks poorly of his ability to delay gratification, prioritize, and manage his time. Maybe that has all changed. Maybe it hasn't. This is not someone who chose not to go to college, or who dropped out to start a company. This is someone who went, spent 4 years there, and wasn't very close to graduating and had poor grades.

He also did not leave for the Red Cross. He got a job selling warranties for IBM before going to the Red Cross.

For a candidate who won't decide whether or not he accepts evolution, a lack of education is troubling, as it goes to that candidate's willingness and ability to rationally analyze evidence.

In fact, absent some acute evidence that a candidate for President has real brains, I think the lack of a college degree disqualifies them.

ITA with all the above concerning Walker as well, especially the bolded section.

And FWIW, I actually did drop out of college after 2.5 years. But due to me not wanting to have wasted that time and energy and even though I was married and had a child and am a woman so was more of the "default" parent - I went back to school and got my degree.

I feel he dropped out because he was a bad academic and didn't have the determination to finish. He could have gotten an online degree in all this time since.

And for me it has nothing to do with Obama since Obama will not be running again so I don't see why people are comparing Walker to Obama.

If we expect our kids to "get an education" and "work hard" we should have public officials who do the same.

29,536 posts, read 15,482,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...Now this is hilarious. You trying to be the Matt Damon character in a movie.

Talk about pretentious. What a phony. "I've been around your type." Please...you don't even leave your basement.

How long have you been waiting for the opportunity to pull out the Good Will Hunting reference?
Oh, I'm definitely not he Matt Damon character, not by a long shot.

But I can definitely see you being that other chode.

Basement? lol

My guess would be that my backyard is nicer than your home.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:51 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,734,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think I will. Governor Walker may have trouble being elected president for not having a degree.

Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president. - The Washington Post

not having a college degree shows lack of initiative, long-term planing, and inability to put aside present day gain for future gains.

As such, I would not hire someone without a high school degree in any job beyond cleaning the restroom at mcdonalds.

With a high school degree, maybe i'd say you could be assistant manager at starbucks.

With a college education, associate at Nestle

Masters, who knows. . .president?

and i sure as hell won't elect him president. . if he didn't make time for education. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or