Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 AM

273 posts, read 240,213 times

Advertisements

Absolutely.....common sense and street smarts ALWAYS trumps book smarts and IQ scores.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:08 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
It's a mark of the modern "liberal" to equate a college degree with intelligence and ability. I know that these folks have to defend the college degree as that is really the breeding ground of modern so called "liberalism", how many products of these institutions get out of the basement and actually raise their own children this way? If it ever got out that people could be successful and intelligent without college, who would make bank on all those overpriced student loans and raise the next generation of democrats?

It's a nice distraction, this idea that one must have a degree to be successful, or president, but we all know that even if Governor Walker, the man who has defeated democrats and liberal establishments and public employee unions in nationally funded campaigns, had that precious sheepskin they still would argue against voting for him. Because the talking points and union bosses told them not to. You don't need a degree to understand this.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I would probably not in today's world because of the exposure to ideas and diverse lines of thought is an important part of a college education and not likely to be self-taught. Also the expectation, performance, commitment and accomplishment that comes from pursuing a degree is important. That being said...I don't think that an advanced degree is always required. Also, as we have seen, just having a degree doesn't always translate into maturity, thoughtfulness or integrity and a sociopath with a college degree is still a sociopath. There are other things to consider.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 PM

273 posts, read 240,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I would probably not in today's world because of the exposure to ideas and diverse lines of thought is an important part of a college education and not likely to be self-taught. Also the expectation, performance, commitment and accomplishment that comes from pursuing a degree is important. That being said...I don't think that an advanced degree is always required. Also, as we have seen, just having a degree doesn't always translate into maturity, thoughtfulness or integrity and a sociopath with a college degree is still a sociopath. There are other things to consider.
You'll get much further with someone who went in the service and or went through a tedious apprenticeship.

The helicopter soccer Moms and libotards will never understand that end of the spectrum. You learn FAR more when the consequences are certain DEATH than a test score or a piece of paper.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
i dont have colage degree im assistent team leader when ahmed or jenny or terry is gone to lunch. so i think you dont, need one for a president job, ahmed has a degree in airplanes an didnt even no where the patties where/

Old 02-14-2015, 12:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Its depends on what he/she has done in the real world as executive material. Tho I don't think we get many of those or even top college student wanting to run for president.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:36 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who in congress, or what president, has a degree in video game design?

I am guessing that most people here, who don't think the leader of the free world should have a higher education, doesn't have an education beyond high school.

Only those who have earned college degrees, appreciate the caliber of useful knowledge obtained from higher education.
But that wasn't the question posed in this thread.

The question wasn't "should" the leader of the free world have a college degree, the question was would you vote for someone that doesn't.

Those are distinctly different questions. The answer to the latter is highly dependent on the individual candidate.

George Bush has one. He possessed very little of the qualities you assert are resultant from having obtained a degree, IMHO. So yeah you can have one, but if you don't use it decent effect then who gives a rat's?

I think they should, however. Unless someone better qualified comes along.

Oh, and you missed my point regarding Video Game Design. If you have a degree in Ophthalmology, does that make you better qualified than an outstanding, accomplished individual that doesn't?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
It's a mark of the modern "liberal" to equate a college degree with intelligence and ability.
would you allow someone who didn't go to medical school and get degree perform surgery on you? why should I allow somone without a proper education run my country?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:43 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
would you allow someone who didn't go to medical school and get degree perform surgery on you? why should I allow somone without a proper education run my country?
Define proper education.

I wasn't aware there was a Doctorate in Being President.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Define proper education.

I wasn't aware there was a Doctorate in Being President.
Don't worry about it, anybody (like myself) who graduated from college KNOW college education is nothing to brag about. I have an art degree. I have a friend doesn't even know what to do with his foreign language degree.

This may be startling to some, but intelligence is judged subjectively. This can cause problems when conflicts arise. One person’s genius is another person’s average individual. Someone who is not musically inclined will think the fifteen year old pianist next door is a musical genius. Intelligence and knowledge are all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies