Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:53 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Oh, I'm definitely not he Matt Damon character, not by a long shot.

But I can definitely see you being that other chode.

Basement? lol

My guess would be that my backyard is nicer than your home.

were all millionaires here, you know, on the internet.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
not having a college degree shows lack of initiative, long-term planing, and inability to put aside present day gain for future gains.

As such, I would not hire someone without a high school degree in any job beyond cleaning the restroom at mcdonalds.

With a high school degree, maybe i'd say you could be assistant manager at starbucks.

With a college education, associate at Nestle

Masters, who knows. . .president?

and i sure as hell won't elect him president. . if he didn't make time for education. .
Or maybe some people know that that there's more to life than following the standard track and never questioning the status quo.

If anything, if someone wasn't born into the elite, didn't go to college, but still managed to get far enough to be in public consideration for presidency, then that candidate likely has some serious intelligence, resourcefulness and creativity.

College is not a magic thing that transforms dullards into shining beacons of success. Honestly, I don't think I really needed my degree. My major was accounting, but I hated it so much that I ended up working as a software engineer. No one hiring me cared much about my degree.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I would assuming they have at least accomplished something. A college degree is nothing but a piece of paper saying you're qualified to do X and have spend $200,000 to get said paper. It means nothing to someone's intelligence or ability to lead.

But as I said, an accomplishment of some kind is necessary. For example, military officers who advanced their military career could reasonably be trusted without a college degree. Or people who became successful without one. Steve Jobs (he's dead, which is why I use him for the example) had no degree, but was clearly intelligent and probably would be a decent president (though even when he was alive, I can't imagine he'd ever run).

I'm very much against the idea that schooling=intelligence. It's a scheme to systematical **** poor people or those who don't want to waste their time (and money).
actually a college degree is apiece of paper that says you got an education in a particular program, it doesnt say anything about being qualified to do anything.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:10 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I would not.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
were all millionaires here, you know, on the internet.
I'm far from a millionaire, but I'm equally as far from living in my mom's basement.

Just pointing that out.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
not having a college degree shows lack of initiative, long-term planing, and inability to put aside present day gain for future gains.

As such, I would not hire someone without a high school degree in any job beyond cleaning the restroom at mcdonalds.

With a high school degree, maybe i'd say you could be assistant manager at starbucks.

With a college education, associate at Nestle

Masters, who knows. . .president?

and i sure as hell won't elect him president. . if he didn't make time for education. .
This is the winner of the stupidest and most insulting post yet today. You do realize there are a TON of highly successful folks who didn't finish college or even high school right? Some folks aren't cut out for "formal education" but still go on to kicking ass and taking names in the business world. I happen to be one of those without a degree but have FAR surpassed my peers who have degrees, even those with PHD's. I loved college and did extremely well academically but I made a decision to take a different path for multiple reasons.

Obviously, I do not "lack initiative" and I most certainly planned for the long-term. What I did "put aside" was the time and the money it was taking to get my degree and instead used both to fast track my career. Doing this increased my "future gains" far more than I ever imagined or could have gained if I'd wasted my time and money to finish college instead of jumping on an amazing opportunity that presented itself at the time.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Sure why not? However I wouldn't vote for one without a high school diploma.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Voting for an elitist academic with zero real-world experience is not the greatest idea either.
Typical right winger nonsense...

Getting an education is now "elitist."

Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Geez...this is really how low we've set the bar for the chief executive of the country?

So long as they've finished HIGH SCHOOL, huh?

Good Lord.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
the hell? lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies