Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

....Detroit will be back to ignoring (and cutting) public transportation. Resume mass water shutoffs!

Everything is all good in the neighborhood now, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
"as you were"

Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Rant thread, check

Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
I gave up driving several years ago and sold my 1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II. I walk most places; and if it's too far to walk, I take a cab. And, when I go out on the town, I hire a limo. At my age, I don't want to be burdened with possessions, and owning a car can be burdensome. As Ruskin put it: "Every new possession loads us with new weariness.”

Old 02-13-2015, 08:04 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Detroit is a mess and will be for some time to come. They have no money.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:14 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
....Detroit will be back to ignoring (and cutting) public transportation. Resume mass water shutoffs!

Everything is all good in the neighborhood now, right?

A dead limb that needs severed from the tree. Thank 50 years of rock solid liberal governance for Detroit's current condition, because they have ruled that roost with almost total unanimity for at least that long.

A lot of unpleasant things are required to make Detroit a once more thriving metropolis, and many of them will not play well in the Church of Victimology.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:25 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
If public transportation is self supporting and generates a sufficient profit to expand it's service, fine, expand it. Raise rates enough to make it self-supporting; it's still a LOT cheaper than buying a car, paying registration, tax, fuel, maintenance and parking.

What does "mass water shutoffs" have to do with anything? Is the municipality unable to provide water to people that have paid their water bill?

Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Ehhhhh...

Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
A dead limb that needs severed from the tree. Thank 50 years of rock solid liberal governance for Detroit's current condition, because they have ruled that roost with almost total unanimity for at least that long.

A lot of unpleasant things are required to make Detroit a once more thriving metropolis, and many of them will not play well in the Church of Victimology.
And the libs who voted for democrats and their asinine regulations, taxes, economic and social policies, have all moved on to other states to repeat their voting habits and support of more of the same. Liberals are a locust who destroy everything in their path.

Hey libs, there is no such thing as Utopia, your cannot bully the people and businesses and legislate endless taxpayer spending to try and bring about your Utopia either.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
And the libs who voted for democrats and their asinine regulations, taxes, economic and social policies, have all moved on to other states to repeat their voting habits and support of more of the same. Liberals are a locust who destroy everything in their path.

Hey libs, there is no such thing as Utopia, your cannot bully the people and businesses and legislate endless taxpayer spending to try and bring about your Utopia either.
Well, not to focus this on one party or the other, but in general, what will "fix" Detroit is stuff that will not play well on the liberal side of the political aisle. Nothing in a dilapidated state gets fixed by having more people stand around it wringing their hands. Busted things get fixed when someone puts money and time into them. For someone to want to do that, there simply must be a payoff. A massive gentrification could fix Detroit, but that would dislocate, isolate or confine the city's poor to some other area. First thing in gentrification is scrubbing away the mold, the rot and the decay.

Basically, you need to make the city attractive for rich people to want to buy homes and do business there. To do that, you must greatly diminish if not totally eradicate those things that rich people find unpleasant...like crime, poverty, urban blight, etc. Displacing the poor is a very real and very necessary component of urban renewal. Coats of paint, city gardens, etc...all make the dying patient look prettier in the bed, but still are not a cure for the disease itself.

Once rich people find the city appealing to establish themselves in, they will. Once they do, middle class will come to try and cash in as well.

Not a real tough equation, but again, when looking at things strictly economically, it sounds very cold, harsh and quite mean spirited. Economic facts are cold like that. So....figure the odds of a liberal, welfare state enclave like Detroit applying cold, economic reality type solutions. Never gonna happen. Because what is needed to fix the city is tough, harsh and kind of ugly from a social justice standpoint. I have no feeling on it one way or the other, because I don't live there nor do I plan to, but facts are facts, and making poor people happier and more comfortable is not how you rescue a dying city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies